PDA

View Full Version : where can I get this tool rest? Hollowing with hand tools.

Jon Prouty
02-06-2011, 11:20 PM
Hi all...

Against all sound advice from you learned folks I decided instead of jumping in with both feet to the hollowing scene and purchasing the Monster Articulated System I would go with the conventional hand tool approach. I bought the Easy Wood Rougher, Finisher and Hollower (full size). I love the rougher, undecided about the finisher (once I try it on finishing a dry form it may prove better) and still undecided on the hollower.

While hollowing a small form (about 5 inches in diameter) I used the finisher and hollower to hog out the innards. I got A LOT of tool deflection (very grabby) which I assume to be normal and by the end of the day I was starting to feel it in my shoulder. I will have to use my Grumbine turning muscle next time. :rolleyes:

This leads me to what I think would be most helpful... a tool rest that has the essence of a captured system while still using my new EWTs. A tool rest that has a top bar to keep the up and down action from occurring. The EWT hollower has a large bar to counter act the torsion but nothing to keep the up and down action from killing my arms. I figure with a tool rest that prevents this action I would be in the money. So, I need a tool rest with a 1-1/2" top and bottom with a couple studs on the ends to set the height.

I'm sure this is not an original idea - someone makes these and I just can't find it... any thoughts guys? I guess I could always make it myself but that is metal work when I would rather be turning. I suppose I could prototype it out of oak.... hmmm.

And yes... the cookie jar fund for the monster system is started but it will take a few months to replenish after laying out for the EWTs.

Thanks!
Jon

Don Alexander
02-06-2011, 11:33 PM
don't know if this will help at all but i have found with my EWT finisher and hollower that it is easy to try to "hog" faster than i should and get the tool bouncing more than i like after experimenting some i discovered that both tools cut very smoothly and remove material quite fast when i find the sweet spot as far as how aggressively i am trying to remove wood ............. from all the great advice i have seen on this forum from some very accomplished turners i think that is pretty common and every tool has its own "sweet spot" finding it hasn't always been as easy as i wouldlike though :eek::)

Gary Conklin
02-06-2011, 11:34 PM
JT Turning tools makes what you want.

http://www.jtturningtools.com/trans-former

Jon Prouty
02-06-2011, 11:50 PM
forgot the pic... no pic, never happened. :)

I will not be getting rid of my Thompson tools anytime soon though. Just got them around Christmas time (5/8" V Bowl, 3/8" V Bowl and 3/8" spindle and a couple handles). I really like Doug's handles - the tool does not roll off the bench. :)

After I get more time with the EWTs I'll post my thoughts on the tools.

Jon Prouty
02-06-2011, 11:51 PM
JT Turning tools makes what you want.

http://www.jtturningtools.com/trans-former

Gary! You read my mind! This is just what I was thinking of. THANKS!

Jon

Michael James
02-07-2011, 12:21 AM
Gary! You read my mind! This is just what I was thinking of. THANKS! Jon

Jon... he probably just read your post :cool:

Jon Prouty
02-07-2011, 1:02 AM
Jon... he probably just read your post :cool:

My posts are usually just random incoherent thoughts that come out all garbled. :)

JP

John Keeton
02-07-2011, 6:00 AM
Jon, congrats on the tools!! I hesitate to point this out, but after buying the gate, you could have owned the Monster Articulated system with money left over!;) But...then the journey would not be near the fun!!:D

Looks like you are having fun - and that is the important part!

Jack Mincey
02-07-2011, 6:25 AM
I hollow free hand and don't see a captive system in my near future. I use a John Jordan #1 hook tool with his arm brace handle along with my home made straight 3/4" bar hollowing tool. I can hollow down to 9 " with little effort using this system. The key to using a swan neck type tool is to keep the bent part of the bar past the tool rest. The other thing is to have a large and extra long handle which I keep under my arm pit for hollowing. I can spread my legs to get my body down to the right height or sit on a tool on the outboard side of my lathe for hollow.
Good Luck,
Jack

Patrick Doody
02-07-2011, 10:19 AM
I believe PSI has something like that in their catalog.

Peter Fabricius
02-07-2011, 10:34 AM
A gated system is also produced by Derry Tools; www.derrytools.com (http://www.derrytools.com)
Peter F.

Steve Harder
02-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I mount Easy type carbide inserts on a holder that then fits into my DIY elbo style hollowing rig. And having a "box" style toolrest that can extend down into the vessel will get support closer to the cutting surface, cutting down on grabbiness.

Wally Dickerman
02-07-2011, 12:04 PM
Jon, except for seeing a photo of the Easywood hollwer I'm not familiar with it. If the tool beats you up when you're using it, then either you're using it wrong or the tool has a poor design. All of the curved portion should be ahead of the tool rest, with the wide flat shaft on the rest. The cutter should be lined up with the shaft for good results.

In using the tool it's very important that you use it with the handle tucked under your arm and against your side. Move the tool with body motion not arm motion. It you don't use it this way then you will have poor tool control and you will end up arm and shoulder weary.

Wally

Richard Coers
02-07-2011, 12:22 PM
Anyone have experience with these gated rests? Looks to me like it would be tough using it in a 8" -10" deep vessel. With that much cantilevered I bet you still get some chatter. A couple of those look like aluminum gates. That would gall or dent pretty easily if the tool is chattering.

Wally Dickerman
02-07-2011, 12:58 PM
Anyone have experience with these gated rests? Looks to me like it would be tough using it in a 8" -10" deep vessel. With that much cantilevered I bet you still get some chatter. A couple of those look like aluminum gates. That would gall or dent pretty easily if the tool is chattering.

The Derry hollowing system is a very good one. I have the gated Nichols system which is has the same type of gated tool rest. I use it when hollowing deep (up to 14 or 15 inches) pieces. Works very well.

The Nichols system is no longer made. John Nichols retired.

Wally