PDA

View Full Version : A couple of Slim Lines In Between

James Combs
02-06-2011, 11:10 PM
In between drying finishes for my #26 HF Vessel I turned a couple of slimline pens. The dark one is black walnut made specifically for a customer.

The redish one is pink ivory, a very hard wood but turns nice. It is a spec pen, just hoping someone wants it.

Both are CA finished and polished with Triple E.

Edit:
Pen Hardware - The Walnut hardware is Woodcraft's Black Titanium and the Pink Ivory Gold is Woodcraft's "upgrade" gold.

Don Alexander
02-06-2011, 11:52 PM
very nice pens , James

Peter Hay in Aus
02-07-2011, 6:54 AM
James,
Stunning two Slimlines, the Walnut lines are to be admired and for me they stand out as useful and quite elegant worthy of renown and then bless me you did it again with the Pink Ivory a timber that for me is one of the hardest cranky tough timbers to drill, fashion but as you say finishes well. Doomsayers bleat on about Pink Ivory, Snakewood, Purple heart will go brown ad infinitum comments. But I say turn what you will I personally do and throw caution to the winds and mostly if I cut the timber myself cut it at right angles to the grain a bit like self flagellation you get the degree of difficulty you deserve.

Keep going with your presentation and wonderful turning I am really weary its very late Monday evening and if you will forgive me I make comment of your other post on the forum with your wonderful hollow form with the outstanding top turning I have seen for many a day, lovely lines careful balance outrageous timber, truly
worthy in any company. Drum roll. Thank you for your humility of purpose, lack of in your face manner a downright nice bloke as well.

Kind Regards Peter.

James Combs
02-07-2011, 9:32 AM
James,
Stunning two Slimlines, the Walnut lines are to be admired and for me they stand out as useful and quite elegant worthy of renown and then bless me you did it again with the Pink Ivory a timber that for me is one of the hardest cranky tough timbers to drill, fashion but as you say finishes well. Doomsayers bleat on about Pink Ivory, Snakewood, Purple heart will go brown ad infinitum comments. But I say turn what you will I personally do and throw caution to the winds and mostly if I cut the timber myself cut it at right angles to the grain a bit like self flagellation you get the degree of difficulty you deserve.

Keep going with your presentation and wonderful turning I am really weary its very late Monday evening and if you will forgive me I make comment of your other post on the forum with your wonderful hollow form with the outstanding top turning I have seen for many a day, lovely lines careful balance outrageous timber, truly
worthy in any company. Drum roll. Thank you for your humility of purpose, lack of in your face manner a downright nice bloke as well.

Kind Regards Peter.

Thanks Peter, of all the comments I get about my pens I appreciate those from fellow pen turners the most.

David E Keller
02-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Very nice work on the pens. I love the finish on both of them. I've never turned pink ivory, but I think I've got a stick or two of it someplace that I may need to find.

Where'd you get the kit for that walnut pen? I don't think I've seen that plating combo before, and I really like it. Nicely done, sir!

James Combs
02-07-2011, 10:39 AM
Very nice work on the pens. I love the finish on both of them. I've never turned pink ivory, but I think I've got a stick or two of it someplace that I may need to find.

Where'd you get the kit for that walnut pen? I don't think I've seen that plating combo before, and I really like it. Nicely done, sir!

David, thanks for your comments. The hardware kit is one of my favorites and one of my best sellers. I have only been able to find it at Woodcraft stores and their online store.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2011, 10:49 AM
Those great looking pens James. I like that kit from woodcraft and is one of my best sellers along with the Sierra. I like both woods and the finish is outstanding.