PDA

View Full Version : How 'bout dem Packers!

Bruce Page
02-06-2011, 10:39 PM
One of the better Super Bowls. Aaron Rodgers was hot!

John Fabre
02-06-2011, 10:54 PM
Yea, four turnovers really helped Green Bay out, good game, sure made my seven year old happy.

Correction, three turnovers, last one was a incomplete pass.

paul cottingham
02-06-2011, 10:57 PM
That was some sweet candy, baby.

Greg Peterson
02-07-2011, 12:36 AM
A well fought match. The Steelers are a class act.

Packers did not have any turnovers and that helped. You can't give your opponent extra opportunities.

Lombardi trophy is coming home where it belongs.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Yeah..... I had to send a message to Karl Laustrup congratulating him on his Packers winning.

Did anybody notice...no cheerleaders for either team?

Frank Stolten
02-07-2011, 1:33 AM
I'm not a fan of either team but I thought it was an excellent game. I am, however, a big fan of Aaron Rodgers. I thought it showcased not only his talent but how far he's progressed as a football player to ultimately win the big one and become the MVP. Even Brett Favre didn't do that. Just think about how far he's come: he wasn't recruited out of high school, instead went to a 2-year community college, got recruited to play at Cal, got snubbed by the 49'ers (his favorite team) in the 2005 draft in favor of Alex Smith who turned out to be total bust, lived in the shadow of Brett Favre for several years until he finally had a chance to prove himself. To me it's a feel good story that shows how much guts, determination and effort can get you to whatever your goal is.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2011, 1:43 AM
It's sad that he had to prove himself.....or that he was compared to Farve......... It's difficult enough to be an athlete at that level. When you consider all the boys and young men that play football at all levels, to rise to the level where you are accepted as a professional should speak for itself. It was pointed out before the game that it was amazing that Joe Montana was followed by Steve Young and both were as incredibly talented as they were. It was also pointed out the same incredibility of Farve being followed by someone as talented as Rodgers....and that he would have to prove himself by winning this Super Bowl.

He didn't come out of the shadow of Farve....Aaron Rodgers just cast his own shadow.

John Fabre
02-07-2011, 1:50 AM
Did anybody notice...no cheerleaders for either team?
Your right, where were they?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2011, 2:01 AM
Neither team has cheerleaders......they don't have them..... it was pointed out by one of the new services as an oddity.

Curt Harms
02-07-2011, 9:19 AM
Neither team has cheerleaders......they don't have them..... it was pointed out by one of the new services as an oddity.

I saw that, never knew it before. My first thought was some teams are football players, some are entertainers. Although not many people would classify the '90s Cowboys just as entertainers.

Quinn McCarthy
02-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Yeeeee Hahhhhhhhhh.

St. Vince will be proud.

Quinn

David Weaver
02-07-2011, 10:30 AM

Yeah, they don't want the cheerleaders here (spoken as a Giants fan able to see the heinz field seats as i'm typing). Professional Football isn't the side show and manufactured thing here that it is in a lot of cities. It's probably a lot like it is in Green Bay - if it was still in an old municipal stadium with no marketing hype, people would still live and breathe it. No need for cheerleaders or circus acts.

Bill Huber
02-07-2011, 11:13 AM
Great game....

Now how would you have liked to been one of the 400 people that didn't have a seat when they got there. They had to watch it on a TV in the basement. The NFL is going to give them back their money times 3 but most say its not the money.

Rob Steffeck
02-07-2011, 12:20 PM
The NFL is going to give them back their money times 3 but most say its not the money.

They are going to give the people three times the face value of the ticket. That won't cover half of what most people spent on the Super Bowl. Hopefully the NFL / Jerry Jones will make this situation right.

As a diehard Steelers fan, congrats to the Packers. If I had to pick a team to lose to in the NFL, the Packers would be near the top of the list.

Bruce Page
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
They are also getting free tickets to next years Super Bowl.
I still would not be happy.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2011, 12:47 PM
Are you saying the Super Bowl was over sold? How can that happen? I could see if people were buying fake tickets but how in sake of honest business practices can an event be over sold?

Rob Steffeck
02-07-2011, 12:52 PM
Are you saying the Super Bowl was over sold? How can that happen? I could see if people were buying fake tickets but how in sake of honest business practices can an event be over sold?

Because it was decided last minute to sell an additional 400 tickets in "temporary seating." Unfortunately, they did not complete the addition of all temporary seating in time.

There was another update to what the NFL is offering the ousted fans:

The 400 fans w/out seats last nite went on field postgame, received free merchandise, food, beverage, $2,400, free SB46 tix.

This still wouldn't be enough if I were one of the people to not get in to the game. Unless they are going to fly me to Indianapolis and pay for my room AND ensure either GB or Pitt makes it to the SB, they can't make up for this.

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 12:59 PM
Could they not complete the additional seating due to the weather conditions? If so, it would seem that the NFL had all intentions of honoring the tickets but was prevented from doing so by something beyond their control. The fans should still be compensated, of course.

Bruce Page
02-07-2011, 1:02 PM
Could they not complete the additional seating due to the weather conditions? If so, it would seem that the NFL had all intentions of honoring the tickets but was prevented from doing so by something beyond their control. The fans should still be compensated, of course.

I read that the Fire Marshall nixed the temp seating.

Rob Steffeck
02-07-2011, 1:05 PM
Could they not complete the additional seating due to the weather conditions?

NFL execs have stated that this had nothing to do with the inclement weather. They said they knew of the potential problem by the middle of last week, but they thought they'd be able to get the seats completed, then inspected by the fire marshall. They never got to that point. Fire marshalls had nothing to do with it either. Fault lies solely on the NFL. They gambled and lost.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/super-bowl/local/20110207-nfl-knew-last-week-that-temporary-super-bowl-seats-might-be-unusable.ece

Arlington police spokeswoman Tiara Richard said the city’s fire marshal “played no role” in deciding that the unfinished seats would not be used because the NFL never asked the city to inspect those seats.
“That was all the NFL’s call,” she said. “The fire marshal had no participation in the seats that were not completed. The fire marshal only inspected the seats that were completed.”

Gary Hodgin
02-07-2011, 2:01 PM

Ken,
Here is a short article on it.
Gary

http://sportscasm.com/2011/02/06/nfl-sells-more-super-bowl-tickets-than-seats-at-cowboys-stadium/

Bill Huber
02-07-2011, 2:14 PM
They are going to give the people three times the face value of the ticket. That won't cover half of what most people spent on the Super Bowl. Hopefully the NFL / Jerry Jones will make this situation right.

As a diehard Steelers fan, congrats to the Packers. If I had to pick a team to lose to in the NFL, the Packers would be near the top of the list.

I agree that I would not be happy but I would not want to get killed when I fell off the stairs.

Dave Lehnert
02-07-2011, 2:49 PM
I read that the Fire Marshall nixed the temp seating.

http://www.examiner.com/pop-culture-in-oklahoma-city/fans-turned-away-from-super-bowl-due-to-fire-marshal-requirements

Rich Engelhardt
02-08-2011, 7:51 AM
That game should be an eye opener for the Browns....

Big Ben is a loser!!!

You hear that Browns???

A real champion leads his team down the field and scores to win in the last 2 min...

The Browns should own the Steelers as long as Little Benny is on the field...

Rob Steffeck
02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
That game should be an eye opener for the Browns....

Big Ben is a loser!!!

You hear that Browns???

A real champion leads his team down the field and scores to win in the last 2 min...

The Browns should own the Steelers as long as Little Benny is on the field...

If Big Ben is a loser, then what are the browns? Wow.

I also wouldn't necessarily call a 2 time superbowl winning QB a loser. Say what you will about his off-field antics, but he is a damn good QB and the Steelers are glad to have him. Very few QBs in the league could have survived (physically) behind the rotating door of an offensive line the Steelers had this season.

As a Steelers fan, I don't hate the browns. Probably because they've posed no real threat in recent history. However, with Mangini gone and McCoy being the future, that could change. I'm sure Holmgren would like nothing more than to take it to the Steelers. Until then, we went to the SB again, browns didn't. Ben was a big reason for that.

Rich Engelhardt
02-08-2011, 6:04 PM
If Big Ben is a loser, then what are the browns? Wow.

Losers....
Can't sugar coat that fact one bit.

The big news here locally all week was that Big Ben din't get the "respect he deserved for his two rings" and that a thrid ring would place him in some pretty elite company.
His folding up in the last 2 min prettty much showed what he's got..
All I'm saying is that the Browns should take note of the fact that despite two rings, Ben ain't no Bradshaw..

BTW -I'm a Steelers fan. Born and raised in the South Hills of Pittsburgh.
I'm also a Browns fan.
More than either though, I'm a fan of a "good game" between the Steelers and the Browns.

Rob Steffeck
02-08-2011, 7:29 PM
Losers....
Can't sugar coat that fact one bit.

The big news here locally all week was that Big Ben din't get the "respect he deserved for his two rings" and that a thrid ring would place him in some pretty elite company.
His folding up in the last 2 min prettty much showed what he's got..
All I'm saying is that the Browns should take note of the fact that despite two rings, Ben ain't no Bradshaw..

BTW -I'm a Steelers fan. Born and raised in the South Hills of Pittsburgh.
I'm also a Browns fan.
More than either though, I'm a fan of a "good game" between the Steelers and the Browns.

I moved away from Pittsburgh a little over 5 years ago. I still miss the sports scene there because Portland definitely doesn't have much of one.

I'll have to disagree about Ben. The 2 minute drill was disgusting, but it was as much if not more about the young receiving corp than it was Ben. Wallace has the speed no doubt, but route running and getting separation from coverage is not his strength yet. He showed that during the one play where Green Bay intercepted his pass. He didn't even fight for the ball. Sanders leaving the game didn't help things either. I just don't understand why Hines Ward wasn't part of that final drive instead of throwing to Wallace three times in a row. Packers defense was so concerned with Wallace and Brown that Ward had a fairly productive evening.

Ben has made things out of nothing in so many games I can't even count them. Even the greats can't do that every game (i.e., Brady in the divisional game against the Jets). Ben is every bit as good, if not better in my opinion than the current "media elite" of Rivers, Ryan, Flacco, and Vick. The only QBs I'd take right now over Ben would be Brady, Manning, or Brees. I'm still not sure where Rodgers fits in my lists. I am impressed with him to say the least.

Neal Clayton
02-08-2011, 9:55 PM
i don't think ben is a loser, but i do think...

a) mike wallace, for all of his promise, is not santonio holmes..yet
b) hines ward has definitely lost a step
c) pouncey being out definitely affected the offense in a negative way, most people don't understand how critical the center's role is, he's like a traffic director for the O line.

on the other side of the coin, aaron rodgers definitely silenced all of the negative comparison to favre. when he was playing well, he was the best QB in the NFL this year, just as drew brees was when playing at his best last year.

the best QB usually wins as far as super bowls go, this game was no different.

Rob Steffeck
02-08-2011, 10:14 PM
b) hines ward has definitely lost a step
c) pouncey being out definitely affected the offense in a negative way, most people don't understand how critical the center's role is, he's like a traffic director for the O line.

Hines hasn't been quick for quite a while. But he is still the best blocking receiver in the game. If running a screen, there is no other receiver I'd want someone to run behind.

I had concerns about Legursky replacing Pouncey leading up to the SB for the exact reasons you mention. However, Legursky did very well. Raji's impact wasn't what I was expecting. He did just fine keeping pressure off the quarterback.

I'd say Rodgers' ability to pick up the blitz quickly is what lost the Steelers the game. I saw at least 3 plays where Rodgers picked up the blitz by the coverage man on Jordy Nelson. The Steelers secondary, primarily at corner, is the biggest weakness right now.

Curt Harms
02-09-2011, 11:03 AM
on the other side of the coin, aaron rodgers definitely silenced all of the negative comparison to favre. when he was playing well, he was the best QB in the NFL this year, just as drew brees was when playing at his best last year.

the best QB usually wins as far as super bowls go, this game was no different.

We were watching mid-afternoon 'how they got to this point' type programming. I saw a sign that made me chuckle the rest of the day. It was a sign by Green Bay fans that said "We'll never forget you, Bert".:D:D

Neal Clayton
02-09-2011, 12:09 PM
We were watching mid-afternoon 'how they got to this point' type programming. I saw a sign that made me chuckle the rest of the day. It was a sign by Green Bay fans that said "We'll never forget you, Bert".:D:D

even that's better from brett's point of view than this...

Mac McQuinn
02-09-2011, 2:42 PM
Hey C'mon Guys, The Lions beat the Packers!

Mac

Neal Clayton
02-09-2011, 7:41 PM
the lions are on the up and up!

1) they screwed jerry jones on some draft picks for roy williams
2) suh is a beast, probably one of the top few DTs in the NFL, and the rest of the defense isn't too bad
3) calvin johnson and matt stafford are also doing pretty well

they just need O line, and they're a pretty good team, imo.

Brian Elfert
02-10-2011, 1:37 AM
The fans who had tickets, but no seats, have filed a class action suit against the NFL. The lawyer in the case was interviewed on a local radio station.

He says the NFL isn't making fans whole because some of them bought their ticket for more than three times face value. He also says the offer of Super Bowl tickets for next year has no value because of the chance there may be no NFL season and thus no Super Bowl. I hope the judge laughs him out of court if he is bold enough to base his case on a football that may or may not happen next year.

John Fabre
02-10-2011, 4:12 AM
:(:(:( no football for six months, back to turning.

Curt Harms
02-10-2011, 8:08 AM
The fans who had tickets, but no seats, have filed a class action suit against the NFL. The lawyer in the case was interviewed on a local radio station.

He says the NFL isn't making fans whole because some of them bought their ticket for more than three times face value. He also says the offer of Super Bowl tickets for next year has no value because of the chance there may be no NFL season and thus no Super Bowl. I hope the judge laughs him out of court if he is bold enough to base his case on a football that may or may not happen next year.

Somebody at NFL must have decided that wouldn't fly as well. I heard or read that the screwed fans could have free tickets to the Super Bowl of their choice plus air fare and hotel. There's still talk of a class action law suit.

Greg Peterson
02-10-2011, 10:05 AM
While I think the class action suit is ridiculous, the fact remains that as of right now there is no legal agreement that would allow for any games next season. The CBA expires on March 4th and until the two sides can create a new CBA, there won't be a season. Any assumption that a new CBA will be created is just that, an assumption.

Brian Elfert
02-10-2011, 9:10 PM
I think there will be NFL football next season. The players would have to be insane to give up 7 billion in salary because they want another billion in salary. If my math is correct the players in the NFL average over $5 million per player per season.

As far as the folks who didn't have seats for the Super Bowl, they at minimum want to be reimbursed for all of their costs including the actual price they paid for their tickets. (Many paid well over list.) A trip to next year's Super Bowl isn't all that inticing if your team isn't playing in the game next year.