PDA

View Full Version : Today was a wash...win one Madrone burl...lose one apple.

Tim Rinehart
02-06-2011, 10:22 PM
Spent last couple shop days working on bowls for late Christmas presents...some rough outs drying over last month or so.
Also spent some time on recent shop days finishing off a revised hollowing rig (beefed up version of my original rig) and I finally finished my 'Nichols style' steady rest after seeing the great job done by Baxter.
My first turning of the day was madrone burl, which I'd never worked with. Very wet wood, had been shrink wrapped for last month or so that I've had it. Form came out nice, I'm pleased. I haven't sanded it yet, just a couple coats of lacquer to slow down drying outside. C&C welcome on this piece. It's first time I've tried a top like this...will probably add some sort of short finial/lid. So ... this one was my 'win'. The madrone piece is about 9" tall and 3.5" diam...or so.
The loss was a gorgeous piece of apple, that was about 5" diam and 9" tall. I got careless and blew out side ...NOT using my laser!! Oh well...I'll learn...I hope.

Steve Vaughan
02-06-2011, 10:36 PM
Bummer on the apple, but it still looks like you can salvage it - just a wider mouth and smooth out the rim? It is a good looking piece. And, the vase is really nice looking too. I like your hollowing rig, gotta get me one.

Reed Gray
02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Your madrone piece will warp beyond sanding and fitting a lid to. Every figure line will raise or lower, and you will have a very 3 dimentional piece. I prefer them that way.

robo hippy

Tim Rinehart
02-06-2011, 11:05 PM
Your madrone piece will warp beyond sanding and fitting a lid to. Every figure line will raise or lower, and you will have a very 3 dimentional piece. I prefer them that way.

robo hippy
I can hardly wait! I remember now hearing about madrone doing this...c'est la vie. Will post when it's 'done' moving!

Curt Fuller
02-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Too bad about that Apple, but the Madrone piece is spectacular.

John Keeton
02-07-2011, 5:49 AM
Tim, that is beautiful wood! I have never turned, or seen, Madrone, but you sure did this one justice.

Dennis Ford
02-07-2011, 7:47 AM
The Madrone vase looks great. Sorry about the apple, but it won't be the last piece that you blow up. If you ever stop ruining an occasional piece; you have quit learning.

David E Keller
02-07-2011, 10:18 AM
Beautiful work on the madrone! I hope you'll post some photos in a few weeks when it's all twisted and warped! It's a lovely form, and it'll get even better with time.

Too bad about the apple, but that stuff grows on trees, and it's a right of passage anyway!

Tim Rinehart
02-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Too bad about the apple, but that stuff grows on trees,...
:D:D:D David, You are so right!
When it happened, and it did so in an undramatic light 'spin off' of the top, I didn't even get as disappointed as I have in past. I did chalk it up to learning and knowing better what not to let happen again...if avoidable. And this one was avoidable!

I'll be sure to post the madrone piece when sanded/finished. I haven't been out to shop yet today to see movement...hmmm, maybe I'll go sneak a peak at lunchtime.:rolleyes:

Frank Van Atta
02-07-2011, 11:28 AM

robo hippy

Ditto on that. I'm just surprised it hasn't done it already.

Bernie Weishapl
02-07-2011, 1:42 PM
Really nice piece of Madrone. Will be anxious to see it when it has dried. The apple, well sometimes it happens. Looks like it would make a nice bowl now.

Baxter Smith
02-07-2011, 3:30 PM
Th.... If you ever stop ruining an occasional piece; you have quit learning.
Glad I am still learning!

Too bad on the apple. I have done a couple of apple almost HF's. I usually go through the side near the bottom just about the time I start thinking about how smoothly the tool is cutting.
The madrone vase is beautiful! Did the burl turn well? I turned some plain madrone last week I got in a wood exchange. Had never even seen a piece before. It was pretty and a dream to turn!