PDA

View Full Version : What say ye on a Used x5 Delta shaper worth?

Ron Bontz
02-06-2011, 8:10 PM
Well here's the deal. I may be selling my Delta 3HP X5 shaper with the 3/4" as well as the 1-1/4" spindles. I am going to look at a slightly bigger Delta shaper "still in the crate". Mine is in excellent condition at this point. But I am thinking that extra 2HP may be handy with a power feeder. So I am wondering, since I have not used it much, what mine should be worth mobile base and all a side from the 50% rule. Any thoughts. And yes my grammar is terrible.

Jamie Buxton
02-06-2011, 8:15 PM
Around here, a used Delta 3 hp shaper is about a thousand dollars. Age doesn't seem to make much difference; those things run forever. The extra spindle might add a bit to the price.

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 8:31 PM
The normal price on a newer (X5) is about 1k as well.

Dell Littlefield
02-06-2011, 8:36 PM
Here is one on our local Craigslist: http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/tls/2200351865.html

Stephen Cherry
02-06-2011, 8:39 PM
The problem I see in selling a delta hd type shaper for big money is that there are tons and tons of great shapers available right now at giveaway prices. I've seen scmi t130's for about 2000, and t110s for less than 1k. I recently picked up an older but lightly used t110 with feeder for 800 dollars. I also have two of the older delta hd shapers, two for 300 dollars. These were older single speed machines though.

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 8:41 PM
Here is one on our local Craigslist: http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/tls/2200351865.html

Where do you put the shaper cutter on that thing? :D

Steve Schoene
02-06-2011, 10:12 PM
By the way, X5 is just a marketing program. Warranty and or accessory package deals, and some decals or paint. No difference in basic build quality or design.

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 10:52 PM
By the way, X5 is just a marketing program. Warranty and or accessory package deals, and some decals or paint. No difference in basic build quality or design.

True, but it is useful as it dates it as modern as opposed to an ancient one, in that it is less likely to be completely burned down. The older ones that have been cut, mauled, fence goobered up and spindles bearings needing replaced are much less attractive to most people.

Chip Lindley
02-06-2011, 11:05 PM
The only difference between the New-In-Crate shaper and yours, is basically the motor and starter. All you need is a 5hp motor with 7/8" shaft to up the power on your present machine. You may be able to buy that motor for what you would LOSE, selling your 3hp shaper. Keep the 3hp motor for a rainy day OR sell it to recoup some cost of the 5hp motor. IMO, the hassle and loss of selling your shaper to buy the newer one is not worth added 2Hp.

I suggest you keep your eyes open for a real deal on a 2nd shaper. There are lots out there at bargain prices. A guy can always use TWO shapers! Should you find a 3-phase machine, you might already have a spare 3Hp motor to re-power it.

Steve Schoene
02-06-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't know, I'm really happy with my 1946 Unisaw. Very solid with it's cast iron base ring, and heavier gauge cabinet with door. I'd swap even for a New Unisaw, but not for a 2005 model. Don't own a shape though.

J.R. Rutter
02-06-2011, 11:46 PM
I recently picked up an older but lightly used t110 with feeder for 800 dollars.

Now that is a gloat! I sold my T110 with feeder for $2k a little over a year ago.

Ron Bontz
02-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Thanks to all for the thoughts and opinions. Always helpful and insightful.

Hey Chip, One of these days I'll have to drive out to Jeff City and buy you a cup of coffee (or two), and pick you brain a little.:)

Jay Brewer
02-07-2011, 2:58 PM
I have a little different take on this. If you have the room, keep it. There is nothing better than having 2 shapers except for 3 or more shapers. If you can get 1K for it then it might be worth it, but in this economy most people expect to pay pennies on the dollar and deliver it for free.

Good luck