PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Veritas twin screw vise installation

Jim Izat
04-13-2003, 11:35 AM
I've been reading the installation instructions that come with the vice (the first words of which went something like: Even if you never read the instructions, read these or you'll screw up for sure. I had to laugh!) and I am a bit concerned about how they said to attach the inside vice jaw to the end of the bench. Per the instructions I am told to use the four bolts included to capture the nuts included in two perpendicularly drilled holes, one in the end of the bench top, and one up through the bottom of the top respectively. I am concerned that this will capture the top and not allow for seasonal expansion and contraction. The instructions do not mention elongating the holes, and I think I understand why.

Has anybody installed this vice?

Jim

David Rose
04-13-2003, 1:00 PM
Jim, I installed one a few months ago. But I put it on a laminated plywood top so it doesn't help with your question.

If you don't get a satisfactory response here, email Lee Valley. My experience has been super with their email support. I've even had them talk me out of things that were not the best for the task.

One thing... be *sure* that the faces are aclimated to your shop. I didn't have anything thick enough and wanted one piece for each jaw. Though the maple I purchased was suppose to be the same (no meter) as my shop, I got some cupping on the inside face. But the piece had more figure than I would have prefered so I might have had problems anyway.

I love the vice! It was a good investment. When I crank it out far enough to get off the guide pins it does get a little stiff to crank, but I think that is to be expected. I do have the screws supported and well lubed, btw.

Have fun with it!

David