PDA

View Full Version : My national anthem

John Coloccia
02-06-2011, 6:38 PM
I like it when my national anthem is sung in a way that is recognizable as my anthem, as opposed to turning it into a narcissistic statement of how well someone thinks they can sing.

That's just me. It's getting to the point, though, that I'm actually a little surprised some of these guys aren't getting booed for butchering it.

John Coloccia
02-06-2011, 6:43 PM
Oh yeah...I almost forgot.

Get the words right.

Bryan Morgan
02-06-2011, 7:15 PM
Agreed. I don't know which one you are referring to specifically, but when they go all R&B on it I find it distasteful. To me, it sounds like they don't know the proper note and are searching around for it.

I watched all the NASCAR races last year and the only one to completely botch the national anthem was in California... hmmmm.... :p

Clarence Miller
02-06-2011, 8:33 PM
I agree John, certain songs rest too close to core values to be mired with voice inflections for me to listen to. Ironically the same right I have to complain about it stands true for people to do it.

John Coloccia
02-06-2011, 8:39 PM
For whatever reason, they seem to show far more restraint at hockey games. I suspect it has something to do with not wanting to upset a bunch of ornery Canadians carrying big wooden sticks.

Clarence Miller
02-06-2011, 8:39 PM
Another historical irony (yes my head is full of this useless junk, but can I remember my PIN #) is that "Defence of Fort McHenry" written by Francis Scott Key is sung to the old English pub song "To Anacreon in Heaven". So perhaps the voice inflections are more true to form to that of drunken vocalists, at least that has been my experience in karaoke bars.

Don Alexander
02-06-2011, 8:54 PM
i wish they would have people sing the national anthem that actually have some respect for what it is and represents

Ernie Miller
02-06-2011, 9:10 PM
I know I'm dating myself, but I miss Kate Smith.

Thomas Canfield
02-06-2011, 9:37 PM
My wife had recorded the opening ceremonies of the Super Bowl, and I felt more respectful speeding through the National Anthem than listening to the way it was sung. I don't know how they pick em????????????????????????

Jim Underwood
02-06-2011, 10:57 PM
I have to agree. I'd heard enough of that strainin' yellin' trillin' about 10 seconds in... And then getting the lyrics wrong... Ouch. That's a black mark on the resume, for sure...

Neal Clayton
02-06-2011, 11:45 PM
not every day that baseball one-ups the NFL, but they did this year with singers at least.

john legend from game one...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12913811

Ernie Miller
02-06-2011, 11:54 PM
not every day that baseball one-ups the NFL, but they did this year with singers at least.

john legend from game one...

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=12913811

Better than most, but what is with all that breathing between words and syllables (e.g. gallant (breath)ly)? I still miss Kate Smith.

Norman Hitt
02-07-2011, 12:48 AM
I'm happy to see that I am obviously NOT the ONLY "Cantankerous Old Dinosuar" that Some of my friends & Relatives have always thought I was, when I complained for the last several years about WHO selects Singers that feel they absolutely MUST give a rendition of the National Anthem of "THEIR Interpretation" instead of just "Singing it Like It Was Written".

It is a good thing they don't let ME pick the Singers, because I would personally hold Auditions, and specify that it be sung as written. When I found one that could do that properly, I would record it, and to be sure it was presented that way, I would give the singer a mike (that was not plugged in), and play the recording and let the singer lip sync it for the live audience.
Can you tell how REALLY Disgusted I am with this situation?:mad:

Greg Peterson
02-07-2011, 12:49 AM
Best national anthem I have heard in many years was sung by a group of high school kids before an NBA game. The interpretation was traditional and was sung beautifully.

I don't think one can indict an entire region because someone forgot the words. And I don't presume to know another's respect for the anthem simply because they don't perform it to my standards. We each have our preferences certainly, but that line "...land of the free..." doesn't mean my way or the highway.

Neal Clayton
02-07-2011, 1:16 AM
Better than most, but what is with all that breathing between words and syllables (e.g. gallant (breath)ly)? I still miss Kate Smith.

i can understand that. no different than the athletes, singers have good days and bad days, sometimes their throat/vocal health isn't perfect.

to try to hide it by changing the song, on the other hand, doesn't sit well with me.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2011, 1:36 AM
I have heard some personal interpretations of the National Anthem that were great. I think at one of the Super Bowls...Ray Charles sang his R&B interpretation and it was IMHO absolutely beautiful. Most other personal interpretations have failed IMHO to reach that standard.

Music, like a lot of things in life, is a matter of personal taste. What I may like, others may find to be distasteful.

For the most part, the original version is more beautiful than a large number of the "personal interpretations"....but that is just my opinon......or my personal taste...

Bill LaPointe
02-07-2011, 6:53 AM
I like it when my national anthem is sung in a way that is recognizable as my anthem, as opposed to turning it into a narcissistic statement of how well someone thinks they can sing.

That's just me. It's getting to the point, though, that I'm actually a little surprised some of these guys aren't getting booed for butchering it.

John,

I told my wife the same thing about 10 seconds into the anthem last night.

Roger Bullock
02-07-2011, 7:09 AM
They need to go old school and sing it in its original form. That way we can reflect on its meaning and our great country instead of wondering what will come out of the singers mouth next. I feel that today the singer puts themselves first before country when it should be the other way around.

Bill Edwards(2)
02-07-2011, 7:37 AM
Roseanne http://www.unclebill.us/bigs/thumbdown.gif

Jimi Hendrix http://www.unclebill.us/bigs/thumbup.gif

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 8:55 AM
Not every performer is qualified to sing the National Anthem, whether because of talent or style. Find the ones who are and have them perform it as written. Have a contractual agreement stating that they will do so, and if they don't comply in the actual performance fine the socks off of them. Some things should not be left up to personal interpretation.

Jason Roehl
02-07-2011, 9:08 AM
Well put, Belinda.

For once, I'd also like to hear verses 2-4 of the National Anthem at something like the Super Bowl.

John Coloccia
02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
On the subject of pop performers singing the anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjHNH2YKewQ&feature=related

If a boy band can get it right, surely everyone can get it right, no?

Bill Hendrix
02-07-2011, 10:16 AM
They coulda/shoulda booked the Cactus Cuties. They've perfomed in Cowboy Stadium before.

One of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284&feature=related

Ernie Miller
02-07-2011, 10:23 AM
On the subject of pop performers singing the anthem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjHNH2YKewQ&feature=related

If a boy band can get it right, surely everyone can get it right, no?

Yup - if they have that kind of talent and good taste.

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 10:28 AM
Thanks for sharing this John. Well done, and one of the only times I think I've ever liked a song performed by this band. Performed correctly the Star Spangled Banner brings a swell of pride to my heart and a tear to my eye. BTW, I take issue with fans who cheer throughout the anthem. I know this is very popular with some hockey fans but it shows a total lack of respect as far as I'm concerned.

Dave Anderson NH
02-07-2011, 1:27 PM
Along the lines of Belinda's comment, anything other than standing quietly (or singing along) with your hand over your heart or in a military salute is disrespect. I was aggravated watching fans in the stands and the overpaid idiots in pads on the sidelines looking around, and generally showing their impatience.

Yes, I'm old fashioned, and yes I still get goosebumps when I hear our national anthem sung properly and with respect. Maybe we should all email the NFL and suggest that they develop guidelines and hold "performers" to them. I know that I did not appreciate that self-serving display by the bleach blonde bimbo.

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 1:57 PM
Yes, I'm old fashioned, and yes I still get goosebumps when I hear our national anthem sung properly and with respect. Maybe we should all email the NFL and suggest that they develop guidelines and hold "performers" to them. I know that I did not appreciate that self-serving display by the bleach blonde bimbo.

Writing to the NFL is an excellent idea. I believe I will do just that. I would also like to see a halftime show that showcases our military bands, something more traditional than the hype and overdone display we have seen in the recent past. Go ahead, beat me up on this one, but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a SB halftime show. My age is catching up with me I suppose. I would much rather see a half time show of patriotic music performed by our military professionals than wardrobe malfunctions, lead singers who just can't hit the notes any more, and pop culture icons. Buy hey, that's just me and my opinon . . . which does't really matter to anyone but me.

Jim Rimmer
02-07-2011, 2:12 PM
Writing to the NFL is an excellent idea. I believe I will do just that. I would also like to see a halftime show that showcases our military bands, something more traditional than the hype and overdone display we have seen in the recent past. Go ahead, beat me up on this one, but I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a SB halftime show. My age is catching up with me I suppose. I would much rather see a half time show of patriotic music performed by our military professionals than wardrobe malfunctions, lead singers who just can't hit the notes any more, and pop culture icons. Buy hey, that's just me and my opinon . . . which does't really matter to anyone but me.

Amen to your idea. A performance by the "Fightin' Texas Aggie Band" would be terrific or maybe the choral groups from one or all of the military service academies doing patriotic songs.

On the original post, I can't carry a tune in a bag but have been told that the Star Spangled Banner is difficult to sing because of the range. Maybe the "star" should just turn down the offer to do it, but then I guess egos get in the way. :)

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 2:26 PM
Amen to your idea. A performance by the "Fightin' Texas Aggie Band" would be terrific or maybe the choral groups from one or all of the military service academies doing patriotic songs.

On the original post, I can't carry a tune in a bag but have been told that the Star Spangled Banner is difficult to sing because of the range. Maybe the "star" should just turn down the offer to do it, but then I guess egos get in the way. :)

There are, I'm sure, a great many musicians on this forum who have much greater experience than me. I have had the privilege of singing the national anthem (very, very small venue) :o. It is difficult to sing and is one of those songs where you can't force the notes. Either you hit them, or you don't, but changing them just isn't an option.

Roger Bullock
02-07-2011, 2:39 PM
I agree with Belinda, maybe we should all email the NFL. I just did and if you would like to, here is the link, since finding a contact link is not straight forward on their website. http://www.nfl.com/contact-us

Lee Koepke
02-07-2011, 2:50 PM
i wish they would have people sing the national anthem that actually have some respect for what it is and represents
I mentioned that anyone that wishes to sign the National Anthem should spend 3 days dug in a fox hole with mortar rounds dropping everywhere. Maybe they'd understand.

(I do not qualify because I have never served ... but thought it would be a good idea!)

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 2:56 PM
I agree with Belinda, maybe we should all email the NFL. I just did and if you would like to, here is the link, since finding a contact link is not straight forward on their website. http://www.nfl.com/contact-us

Thanks Roger. I'm going to send an e-mail to everyone I know and provide this link. Maybe if we get the ball rolling we can have an impact on next year's Super Bowl.

Ernie Miller
02-07-2011, 3:00 PM
There are, I'm sure, a great many musicians on this forum who have much greater experience than me. I have had the privilege of singing the national anthem (very, very small venue) :o. It is difficult to sing and is one of those songs where you can't force the notes. Either you hit them, or you don't, but changing them just isn't an option.

Yes, the range of the National Anthem is somewhat greater than the average voice can handle, but the quality of the singing doesn't bother me as much as the intent of the singing. The National Anthem should not be used as a vehicle to show off a singers chops (or lack of chops). Instead, it should be sung to show respect for our country. Kate Smith not only sang well - she sang as if she meant every word. I applaud the New York Yankees for playing her rendition of God Bless America during the 7th inning stretch of most Yankee home games. On the other hand, Roseann Barr went out of her way to mock the Anthem. Her irreverence showed a disdain for our country and was childish and immature. Hopefully, we won't be subjected to that kind of display again.

Ernie

Ken Fitzgerald
02-07-2011, 3:03 PM
I'm writing the NFL and suggesting Belinda sings the National Anthem at the next Super Bowl. Time for a larger venue Belinda!:D We want it performed with emotion and meaning.

Kerry Adams
02-07-2011, 3:19 PM
I played the Anthem at Super Bowl V accompanied by Anita Bryant!LOL I will be writing the NFL and requesting they let the Anthem be sung by someone or some group in the military and do whatever they want at half-time. That was awlful last night!

Kerry

Joe Leigh
02-07-2011, 3:33 PM
I agree with the sentiments here and would just add that our anthem also be sung in a timely fashion without every note dragged out forever as these talentless hacks search vainly for it. Tempo is vital. No reason this version should take more than 80-90 seconds.

Dave Anderson NH
02-07-2011, 3:34 PM
While I applaud your sentiment Lee, believe me you don't want to be there and neither do the guys who are currently there. I've been on the receiving end and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Well, maybe on a few people.:D

Ron Natalie
02-07-2011, 3:49 PM
And what is the "original form?" Even in the history of recorded music, the anthem has changed. We've generally slowed it down in the last few decades, it was performed regularly much faster.

If you want the original form it went like this:

To ANACREON in Heav'n, where he sat in full Glee,
A few Sons of Harmony sent a Petition,
That He their Inspirer and Patron wou'd be;
When this Answer arriv'd from the JOLLY OLD GRECIAN
"Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
"No longer be mute,
"I'll lend you my Name and inspire you to boot,
"And, besides, I'll instruct you like me, to intwine
"The Myrtle of VENUS with BACCHUS's Vine.

John Coloccia
02-07-2011, 4:03 PM
And what is the "original form?" Even in the history of recorded music, the anthem has changed. We've generally slowed it down in the last few decades, it was performed regularly much faster.

If you want the original form it went like this:

To ANACREON in Heav'n, where he sat in full Glee,
A few Sons of Harmony sent a Petition,
That He their Inspirer and Patron wou'd be;
When this Answer arriv'd from the JOLLY OLD GRECIAN
"Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
"No longer be mute,
"I'll lend you my Name and inspire you to boot,
"And, besides, I'll instruct you like me, to intwine
"The Myrtle of VENUS with BACCHUS's Vine.

No, these are the lyrics to "The Anacreontic Song", which has nothing at all to do with the US, and it is also not a drinking song as many say. It's a song associated with an amateur musician's club. Francis Scott Key later wrote a poem, "The Defence Of Fort McHenry", after witnessing the attack on our position during the War of 1812. When the smoke cleared, Key noticed our flag was still flying and was inspired to write this poem. He wrote the poem with the idea in mind that it would fit the melody of "The Anacreontic Song". It wasn't until later that it was recognized as "The Star Bangled Banner" and it wasn't until 1931 that it became our official anthem.

Anyhow, I do see your point. All I'm asking for is recognizable. It's getting so that the only way I recognize it is that I know the words and occasionally they sing them correctly. :)

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 4:07 PM
I'm writing the NFL and suggesting Belinda sings the National Anthem at the next Super Bowl. Time for a larger venue Belinda!:D We want it performed with emotion and meaning.

No, Ken, really . . . you don't. LOL If you put me in front of that many people I wouldn't be able to even squeak, much less sing!

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 4:19 PM

Roger, here is a note from the website link you posted.

NOTE: This form is solely for e-mail pertaining to the NFL.com web site. We are unable to respond to email relating to the NFL itself.

Belinda Barfield
02-07-2011, 5:59 PM
BTW, lest there be any confusion, in my earlier post I was not in any way implying that I am worthy to lick the boots of the artists who perform at the level of the Super Bowl, etc. If you will notice in my post I stated "either you hit the notes, or you don't" . . . I more don't than do.

So before Ken has me performing at the Bowl (joke!!) let me just clarify my post. My sole public performance of the Star Spangled Banner was
a) when I was 15
b) at the opening of church league softball tournament
c) when I was the girlfriend of the high school baseball team captain
d) when I played piano and led a music service every Thursday night at the local nursing home.

The above and making a mean apple fritter will buy you a lot of good will and forgivness of musical mistakes in a small town . . .

John Coloccia
02-07-2011, 6:11 PM
BTW, lest there be any confusion, in my earlier post I was not in any way implying that I am worthy to lick the boots of the artists who perform at the level of the Super Bowl, etc. If you will notice in my post I stated "either you hit the notes, or you don't" . . . I more don't than do.

So before Ken has me performing at the Bowl (joke!!) let me just clarify my post. My sole public performance of the Star Spangled Banner was
a) when I was 15
b) at the opening of church league softball tournament
c) when I was the girlfriend of the high school baseball team captain
d) when I played piano and led a music service every Thursday night at the local nursing home.

The above and making a mean apple fritter will buy you a lot of good will and forgivness of musical mistakes in a small town . . .

So you're dating the captain of an NFL team? Does he know you're singing at the Superbowl next year?

:D

Joseph Klosek
02-07-2011, 10:19 PM
I think she messed up and tried to cover the mistake with a little too much flair.

The whole idea of a pro is to be able to make a mistake appear to be planned. It appears as Ms. Aguilera went a little too far.

You guys are a tough crowd.

J.P.

Ron Natalie
02-10-2011, 10:53 AM
Well mostly right. Actually, the fitting of Key's poem to Anacreon is generally attributed to Key's brother-in-law after the fact.
While it's not a "drinking song" but the "anthem" of the society, it's pretty much subject to the joys of drinking and was usually performed in 'well-lubricated" meetings of the society.

While I agree there's no excuse for some of the horrendous abominations such as Aguilera's (which I ascribe to just stupidity) or the more intentionally atrocious Rosanne Barr one or the stinko one done by Aerosmith at the Indy 500 (I know Jim gets to sing Indiana, but they could use his voice on the National Anthem as well).

What irks me more than bad performances is the general disrespect of the audience while that is being peformed. At least shut the hell up, put your cell phone down, and face the flag/music quietly if you can't figure out what else to do. Nothing was more stark than standing waiting for the Marine Marathon to begin. You had a few of us with our hands over our hearts and hundreds of Marines volunteering who immediately snapped to attention and saluted in stark contrast to about half the crowd who were obliviously going about their personal matters.

Belinda Barfield
02-10-2011, 11:04 AM
While I agree there's no excuse for some of the horrendous abominations such as Aguilera's (which I ascribe to just stupidity) or the more intentionally atrocious Rosanne Barr one or the stinko one done by Aerosmith at the Indy 500 (I know Jim gets to sing Indiana, but they could use his voice on the National Anthem as well).

What irks me more than bad performances is the general disrespect of the audience while that is being peformed.

Supposedly Aguilera has peforming the national anthem since she was 7. General disrespect, and disrespect from the performing artists, are my main gripe. It wasn't as if they pulled Aguilera out of the crowd and said, "Here's a mic, sing." She had plenty of time to prepare.

Dave Anderson NH
02-10-2011, 11:30 AM
A very sound point Belinda. Maybe I am way off, but I have to believe that as a professional she would have rehearsed. That says to me that while anyone can make a mistake and flub a line, the overall "style" was intentional.

As to Ron's comment.... right in the 10 ring. Semper Fi

Lee Schierer
02-10-2011, 12:55 PM
I recently took a cruise and had the opportunity to talk to a man of Mayan descent in Mexico. He told us that as televisions have proliferated the Mayan community the people watching believe that the shows they are seeing is how Americans really are. "Desperate House Wives" is how we act and treat our friend, neighbors and families. I'm sure the perception isn't much different in the rest of the world either. If we don't respect our own nation why should they?

Sing it correctly or don't sing at all.

Rod Sheridan
02-10-2011, 1:07 PM
Good point Lee, how about The Simpsons, Jersey Shore etc.

However as a Canadian we present the same poor image of ourselves to the outside world. Ever watched Trailer Park Boys?

Last year we cancelled cable TV and went with off air reception.

We now receive 17 channels, mainly US and Canadian public broadcasters, which is what we normally watch.

The other 300 channels seem to be a video record of the race to the bottom............Regards, Rod.

Bryan Morgan
02-10-2011, 11:25 PM
Good point Lee, how about The Simpsons, Jersey Shore etc.

Whoa wait a minute. The Simpsons is one of the only things worth watching on TV. :)

However as a Canadian we present the same poor image of ourselves to the outside world. Ever watched Trailer Park Boys?

Never heard of that show but the Red Green show is one of my all time favorites! :)