PDA

View Full Version : Bearing for a Delta 1460

Mike Heaney
02-06-2011, 6:31 PM
Hi there,

I have an early vintage (1940) delta 1460- and I have a question about bearings. I thought my machine was supposed to be fitted with 88505's- outboard and inboard. The bearings were getting hot and noisy, so I pulled the shaft today and planned to order replacements- but discovered the bearings in there are labelled 77505- which I think is the same inside/outside diameter but narrower in width than the 88505. My outboard has the spring washer and some shims- so it does seem to still be set up per the older model. If anyone can shed some light/advice on which set I should order, I would be very grateful!

thanks

Mike

Salvatore Buscemi
02-06-2011, 7:06 PM
I just checked the bearings I pulled out of my old 1460, 1940's model also, they are both 88505. They were installed with the shims on the outboard side, but no spring washer. Maybe someone put the wrong bearings in there at some point. I'd put the correct ones in.

Sal

Scott Hubl
02-06-2011, 7:31 PM
Check over on OWWM, they know alot about old woodworking machines.

I have 2 1460's but have not messed with the bearings.

I know some you had to send the headstock in to Delta so they could be pressed in a certain way.
But I don't remember all the details now, but someone on OWWM should be able to answer all your 1460 questions easily.
Great bunch of guys over there.

Mack Cameron
02-07-2011, 7:38 AM
Hi there,

I have an early vintage (1940) delta 1460- and I have a question about bearings. I thought my machine was supposed to be fitted with 88505's- outboard and inboard. The bearings were getting hot and noisy, so I pulled the shaft today and planned to order replacements- but discovered the bearings in there are labelled 77505- which I think is the same inside/outside diameter but narrower in width than the 88505. My outboard has the spring washer and some shims- so it does seem to still be set up per the older model. If anyone can shed some light/advice on which set I should order, I would be very grateful!

thanks

Mike
My first lathe was a 1460 that I reconditioned. It required the bearings to be replaced. Took out 88505's and replaced with same. As a matter of interest I still have a brand new pair of 88505 bearings (not certain why) since I sold the lathe and replaced with a Oneway 1224.

Mike Heaney
02-07-2011, 10:20 AM
Thanks for your help,

I cross posted on OWWM, and between here and there, I've decided to go with 88505's and see if they will fit! It turns out the 77505's are also known as 6205- and while they share the same inner and outer diameter as the 88505, they have no felt washers- hence the narrower width. I had a little play with the old ones, so I'm hoping its simply a case of someone in the past fitting something that was close (and cheaper!), and that the 88505's will fit better, and benefit from being enclosed!

thanks again- I'll let you know how I get on

regards

Mike