PDA

View Full Version : Southwest theme vase

Chris Colman
02-06-2011, 5:43 PM
My wife liked the Hawaiian themed Umeke I made earlier, so she wanted something with a Southwest theme.

Here is my first attempt at a Southwest shape with some themed pyro work.

It is about 6 inches wide and 8 inches tall, with a Padauk top ring.

C & C welcome.

John Keeton
02-06-2011, 6:18 PM
Nice work, Chris! I really like the pyro accent ring.

Roger Chandler
02-06-2011, 6:42 PM
Now that is special! Great accent ring........I can see why your wife likes it! Nice pyro work as well!

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2011, 8:16 PM
Really nice looking piece. I do like the pyro. Nicely done.

Doug W Swanson
02-06-2011, 8:44 PM
The pyro ring really adds a lot to the piece. It would look good without it but it looks great with it.....

James Combs
02-06-2011, 8:56 PM
Great looking vase (or is it a pot if SW?). Great looking in any case.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2011, 9:11 PM
Interesting design work Chris! I like your burned detail ring - adds a little of the human touch to the vase!

Jon McElwain
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
Tight glue lines, pleasing shape, and lots of creativity in the burned accent ring. I especially like the dude playing the wind instrument! I am undecided about the padauk top ring, my first impression is that the contrast between the lighter (maple?) wood below distracts from the feature ring. Anyway, small critique on a well executed in pleasing form!

Tim Rinehart
02-07-2011, 12:48 PM
That is a fine piece. Good inspiration to those segmenter-wannabes like me! Another 'bucket-list' thing for me to try.
I like the whole concept of using the petroglyph figures, which would be likely found on old southwest pottery perhaps.