PDA

View Full Version : New Inlays

Liesl Dexheimer
02-06-2011, 5:30 PM
Made two new inlays today, both from Poplar wood but using paper for the inlay this time. The second piece has paper that I created using watercolor & charcoal. I've been trying to experiment with different mediums...

Dee Gallo
02-06-2011, 6:40 PM
Liesl, those are truly innovative. I love to see people trying new things and new combinations. Good work! They look awfully delicate, what is the size you made these pieces?

cheers, dee

Liesl Dexheimer
02-07-2011, 8:42 AM
Thank you Dee! The one on the left is 6" wide x 5.5" high. The one on the right is 4.45" x 4.45". It was really difficult to inlay the leaves on the rectangular piece. Some were extremely small.

Mike Null
02-07-2011, 10:33 AM
Liesl

Neat idea! Does that ever open up a lot of possibilities.
What is the end use? What kind of finish are you going to apply? What is the thickness of the paper?

Martin Boekers
02-07-2011, 10:50 AM
Liesl

Neat idea! Does that ever open up a lot of possibilities.
What is the end use? What kind of finish are you going to apply? What is the thickness of the paper?

Esp. with all the paper possibilities at scrape booking shops!

Marty

Liesl Dexheimer
02-07-2011, 4:16 PM
That paper was fairly thin on the first one, second one was watercolor paper so it was slightly thicker. Hadn't really thought about markets, I'm figuring most people wouldn't really want to pay for the amount of work that went into it. Thought I would do it more for fun. I don't know if I'm going to put a finish on it or not, afraid I might ruin it, lol!

John Barton
02-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Those are amazing. Properly finished I think that they could become sellable. One famous cue maker who gets thousands per cue uses paper for his veneers. He is able to get razor thin veneers and in vibrant colors.

I think people would pay, there is a market for just about everything and certainly for unique art like this.

You could also use two layers of paper or some other substrate to glue to in order to give the inlays more body. You could inlay them a little deeper than the surface and then fill up the cavities with lacquer of finish to really seal them in. Some cue makers do this when they undercut the inlays and fill them with finish to give depth and some protection against the inlays lifting.