PDA

View Full Version : My try at Osolnik style Candle Sticks

Dale Bright
02-06-2011, 2:20 PM
The other post with the Rude Olsonik candle Sticks was very timely. My CFO (read wife) had asked me to make her a pair, after she saw some a friend had made. She did ask me to make a small change in the design. She thought all the ones she had seen were too thin at the 2/3 point. I did not argue with that because it is much easier to turn something, not so thin.

These are 9" and 8 " and the taller one has the same size base as the top. The base of the 8" is a bit wider and I like the wider base better. The next set will be 10" and 9" with the bases a bit wider than the top. I will also make the thin area a little smaller, but not much. I consider these prototypes but the wife really likes them, anyway.

This maple has some pretty good figure and I sanded to 400, wiped on a liberal amount of walnut oil. I burnished in the oil with some brown paper bag and then polished with EEE Wax Polish and burnished again with brown paper. I used another light coating of the oil and then burnished a lot at high speed with the brown paper.

Dale

John Keeton
02-06-2011, 4:39 PM
Dale, you guys are making me want to try these things!!! Nice work, and beautiful curly maple. What is the diameter of the larger one?

Jim Burr
02-06-2011, 4:48 PM
Those are amazing Dale!! To make it a bit easier, maybe dye them black, sand down and then hit with oil...may make the curl pop with half the effort. Either way...they are really cool!

Nate Davey
02-06-2011, 4:58 PM
Nice job Dale, yours came out a little more true to the original than mine.

Dale Bright
02-06-2011, 5:13 PM
Dale, you guys are making me want to try these things!!! Nice work, and beautiful curly maple. What is the diameter of the larger one?

John,

The taller one is 1 5/8" at the top and 1 1 3/4" at the bottom. The shorter one is 1 5/8" at the top and 1 7/8" at the bottom. I think they should be 2" to 2 1/4" at the bottom and about 1 3/4" at the top with the tall one at 10" and the shorter one at 9" tall with the narrow part being 2/3" to no larger than 1/2". At least this is what I was told by a friend that learned to make them from Rude.

Some people make them with a concave curve both top and bottm but I like them with a concave curve at the top and convex at the bottom.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments. I will try to do another set this week and make them match a little better.

Dale

David E Keller
02-06-2011, 5:21 PM
Nice work. Thanks to you and Nate, SWMBO has declared that she must own a few of these. This style is so appealing to me.

gary Zimmel
02-06-2011, 5:37 PM
Nice work on these Dale.
And one more item for the to do list...

Curt Fuller
02-06-2011, 5:40 PM
They're beautiful Dale! Nice curves, great wood, finish looks perfect.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2011, 8:28 PM
Those are beauties. That maple is some pretty stuff.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2011, 9:22 PM
Nice looking candle holders Dale! Sure is some pretty wood - love all that curl!

Baxter Smith
02-07-2011, 3:36 PM
Pretty wood makes some nice looking candle holders!

bob svoboda
02-07-2011, 3:39 PM
Very nice. BTW my to-do list just exceeded my life expectancy :D