PDA

View Full Version : Festool TDK Drill review by Bill Esposito

Frank Pellow
01-15-2005, 6:01 PM
Bill has recently posted an extensive review of the Festool TDK 12 and 15.6 cordless drills on his web site. They can be found at: http://www.mv.com/users/besposito/woodworking/tdk/

The review of these drills is about the most extensive, well written, and well illustrated reviews of any tool that I have ever seen on the WEB. Thanks for a job well done Bill! :)

Greg Mann
01-16-2005, 12:02 PM
This is a very thorough review and generally reflects the experiences I have had with my 12V TDK. This drill is a real problem solver. Let's face it, if you are only drilling holes and doing other mundane tasks at your workbench, most any quality drill is just fine. It's when you're twisted around, cramped into some cabinet, standing on a stool, pushing it tight into a corner, and having to use your wrong hand that we really want and need help. This is where the Festools really differentiate themselves. You can pick an accessory that will usually allow you to face your work and access the challenge without contortion.

Awhile back we had a somewhat passionate thread about why this drill could be significantly more expensive and still be worth purchasing. Bill's review shows how much more there is to that investment.

Greg

Jim Becker
01-16-2005, 12:06 PM
Greg, your last paragraph is a good one. Even WOOD Magazine, in their current drill review, admits that while costly, the Festool has a lot to recommend it. I agree. I've been using mine more and more, even though I still love my Dewalt.

Bill's review is excellent and comprehensive. Highly recommended.

Frank Pellow
01-17-2005, 7:18 AM
I just re-read the review and I continue to learn from it. One thing that the review does really well is to explain and show all the available chuck and drill options.

By the way, a short video clip is also attached to the review, should you wish to see it.

Mark J Bachler
01-17-2005, 12:54 PM
The problem with rechargable drills is that unless your starting from scratch it seems that I end up buying the same one (if it's not a total dog) just so I don't have a bunch of extra batteries. I just picked up a Dewalt 14v right angle drill just so I could use the same batteries as my other Dewalt drill. These are good drills but it seems hard to break the pattern.

Did that mke any sence?

Greg Mann
01-17-2005, 2:14 PM
The problem with rechargable drills is that unless your starting from scratch it seems that I end up buying the same one (if it's not a total dog) just so I don't have a bunch of extra batteries. I just picked up a Dewalt 14v right angle drill just so I could use the same batteries as my other Dewalt drill. These are good drills but it seems hard to break the pattern.

Did that mke any sence?
There is a lot of wisdom in this approach if you are happy with the tool. Sometimes, someone comes along with something so much more useful that folks are enticed to make the switch.

Greg