PDA

View Full Version : Humidor Question

John Czaplicki
02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
I have a question for you humidor guys.......

I'm building one of my own (pics will follow) and about to start resawing some spanish cedar for the liner. I've heard that 1/4 is the minimum thickness to be used....but was using some 1/4" scrap to size it up and it seems pretty thick.

Do you recommend 1/4", or can I go thinner?

How about trays....what thickness do you typically us on those beautiful boxes i've seen so many pics of?

Thanks in advance for the help.

on a side note, after doing the math on how much cedar i'm going to be using....wow! It really eats it up!

Tony Joyce
02-06-2011, 12:56 PM
You can go as thin as you feel comfortable making them. Andrew Crawford shows dividers in trays as thin as 5/32" in his book "Book Of Boxes". You can see his boxes at http://www.fine-boxes.com/

John Czaplicki
02-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the info....but my question is really concerning the operation of the box as a humidor. Those 5/32 dividers are jewelry boxes and the like.

I guess I should have asked if anyone knows if going thinner than 1/4" affect the humidor's performance?

Tony Joyce
02-07-2011, 7:35 AM
Hopefully Bill Wyko will reply to this tread, he's the resident humidor expert. My educated guess would be that thickness would not affect the performance.