PDA

View Full Version : Is It Technique or a Set-Up Problem...

Keith Starosta
02-06-2011, 11:02 AM
...that is giving me these results?

181487 and 181486

This cherry board just came off of my Griz jointer. I have it set to take a very light pass...maybe 1/32". At the very backend of each pass, I am getting what you see in the photos above. It takes a small "extra" bite of the wood at the end of the run. Since getting the jointer, I've made several hundred passes over the cutterhead, with various species of wood, and haven't had this happen. I'm trying to be very diligent to NOT press overly hard down on the wood when it is over the cutterhead. No matter the amount of pressuer, I am getting this result. Bad timing, too...I need to do a bunch of panel glue-ups, and it's messing with the edges of my boards!! :mad:

I'd appreciate some advice on what I might be able to do to overcome this issue.

Thanks!

Keith

John TenEyck
02-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Either your jointer outfeed bed is too low, or the board you're jointing is bowed. Lay the board on a flat surface to check if it's bowed. Lay a straight edge on the outfeed table of your jointer, projecting over the cutterheard. Get down and look as your rotate the cutter head backwards. If the cutterhead picks up the straight edge the knives are set too high. If so, either adjust the knives or outfeed table, which ever is easier or appropriate on your machine.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2011, 11:25 AM
Keith IMHO it could be technique or set up.

If you put too much pressure on the trailing end of a board as it passes over the cutter head you could get that. Once a board gets a reasonable amount over the outfeed table, I put most of the downward force on the portion of the board on the outfeed table.

If as John stated, the outfeed table is too low with respect to the cutterhead, you could get that.

mreza Salav
02-06-2011, 11:36 AM
most likely your outfeed table is lower than the top of cutter heads. That length of snip looks to be about the length of gap between infeed and outfeed table. Once the end of the board leaves the infeed table it drops a bit and causes that step. Adjust your outfeed table (or cutter-heads) and it should go away.

glenn bradley
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Unless you're lifting up on the outboard end of your material during the last couple inches of cut (and I am sure you are not, who would?), it is a setup problem. That sort of snipe on a jointer occurs when the material is allowed to drop to the level of the outfeed table as it leaves the inferred at the throat. The result is the material lowers onto the cutter instead of passing by at the same height.

Raise your outfeed to be level with your cutter at TDC. The outfeed is easy to adjust and I sometimes lower it on purpose for arched pieces. This allows me to do the preliminary passes without the leading edge getting caught on the lip of he outfeed. As soon as I have that issue dealt with I return the table to TDC of the cutter which is where my upper position stop is set.

Keith Starosta
02-06-2011, 2:34 PM
Thanks very much for the advice, guys. It makes sense. I'm going to go out and check that outfeed table now.

- Keith

Keith Starosta
02-06-2011, 4:10 PM
Eureka! A few minutes of fussing got it taken care of. Thanks for all of the advice, guys! I appreciate it.

Keith

dirk martin
02-08-2011, 11:05 PM
I think Ken hit it right on the head. That's been exactly my experience, and the same technique I use.