PDA

View Full Version : Do you ever read the old stuff and the first SMC gloat

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 10:09 AM
I am a relative newcomer to SMC and make a point when things are slow here (no bandsaw theads etc) to go back 500 or 1000 pages to read some of the stuff from the 6 or so years of the Creek I missed. I often come upon people who have some interesting insights and often pull up all their posts and read a lot of them. Dev Emch (old iron guy) ans Mark Duginski (bandsaw guy) are just two jewels of many. Just wondering if anyone ever does the same, there is a lot of collective wisdom here if you drill the well a little deeper, assuming you haven't been here since the well started filling.

Second, I suppose I found the first official "gloat".

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?122-Wood-Gloat-...

It was posted Feb 15, 2003, it got had 752 views as of this writing and nary a response. I see the author seemed to leave the creek on Dec 12, 2009, after waiting almost 7 years for his "you suck" I guess he got tired. Here's to "Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA" you sir suck. :)

Dave Lehnert
02-06-2011, 10:25 AM
They even took his photo away. Poor guy. LOL!

It's fun to look back a few years. But some of that info is dated. What was the best tool or deal then is much different today in some cases.

Be nice if there was a way our account could be set up with a friend or family member e-mail address. That way if you did not check in for a given amount of time it would notify your contact. Be a way to keep track of people who are ill or passed on. They could post a message or notify the forum host what is going on.

Keith Starosta
02-06-2011, 10:54 AM
I absolutely loved reading Dev Emch's post about all of his old iron. To a very green woodworker (back then), it was almost overwhelming to read some of that stuff.

Andrew Joiner
02-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Yes , I agree the old threads are full of good info. I always search before I post a new thread to see whats been covered.

I have uncovered many gems of wisdom. One of my favorite is when you dig deep into Mark Duginski (bandsaw guy) and his opinion on blade tension gauges.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Dev was an interesting read. Some guys got to riding his back pretty hard and he left. It's a shame as he was a wealth of information.

Mark Duginski....nice guy. When I got ready to buy my bandsaw, I bought his latest book. Then sent him an email requesting his opinion on the top 3 bandsaws on my list of possible candidates. His reply was that I couldn't go wrong with any of those 3 Italian made bandsaws and he told me what he had in his shop. Later he replied to an email from me about bandsaw blades.

Bruce Page
02-06-2011, 11:55 AM
Yeah, I miss old Dev, he was incredibly knowledgeable on old machinery.
I tried tracking him down a few years ago. Last I heard he was in Colorado.

IIRC, Ron Smith was a Badger Pond regular, I think he ended up over at Wood Central.

Gene Waara
02-06-2011, 8:26 PM
Like Van, I am a relative newcomer to SMC (but not nearly as prolific with the posts:D). I found this site while researching a TS replacement and am awed by the knowledge I have gained and while it pains me, I guess my wife is right - I DON'T know everything;). When time allows I go back through old threads looking for topics of interest. This is really a great site and I am always appreciative of the responses I get to the questions I post.

Stephen Cherry
02-06-2011, 9:01 PM
Dev was the machine guru.

I'll nominate JR as the shaper and how to progress a business guru.

Lots of great information here.

Jim Rimmer
02-07-2011, 2:33 PM
I am a relative newcomer to SMC and make a point when things are slow here (no bandsaw theads etc) to go back 500 or 1000 pages to read some of the stuff from the 6 or so years of the Creek I missed. I often come upon people who have some interesting insights and often pull up all their posts and read a lot of them. Dev Emch (old iron guy) ans Mark Duginski (bandsaw guy) are just two jewels of many. Just wondering if anyone ever does the same, there is a lot of collective wisdom here if you drill the well a little deeper, assuming you haven't been here since the well started filling.

Second, I suppose I found the first official "gloat".

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?122-Wood-Gloat-...

It was posted Feb 15, 2003, it got had 752 views as of this writing and nary a response. I see the author seemed to leave the creek on Dec 12, 2009, after waiting almost 7 years for his "you suck" I guess he got tired. Here's to "Ron Smith ... Richmond, VA" you sir suck. :)

I guess everyone is still waiting for the pictures. :D No pics, didn't happen.