PDA

View Full Version : Birdhouse on a stick

Curt Fuller
02-06-2011, 1:21 AM
One of the few things I can actually sell is birdhouse Christmas ornaments. For whatever reason, people seem to like birdhouses and I can sell most everyone I make. So I decided to try a birdhouse idea that you could put out and sell anytime of the year. This is my first crack at a birdhouse on a stick. This one is Osage Orange, about 13" tall, 2.5" diameter. It's turned in 2 pieces with the stick and body a single piece, the lid separate. I also threw in a couple of interlocked captive rings for the heck of it. Our club challenge this month is captive rings so I thought I'd practice on a few.
Whatchathink?

John Keeton
02-06-2011, 6:37 AM
Curt, I think you stayed up too late to post this and I didn't see it 'till this morning!! Really a neat idea - and, I am duly impressed that you did the body and pedestal in one turning. Did you drill out the house all the way down, or just past the hole? I think the roof, with spire/finial is perfect for this form.

Has to be the neatest birdhouse I have seen!! I have a piece of Buckthorn that Baxter sent me months ago that I have been meaning to turn - neat color. This may be a perfect idea for it. Thanks!!

Bill Hensley
02-06-2011, 6:37 AM
Another clever project! I like it and suspect it will appeal to buyers.

The captive rings, not so much...

Jack Camillo
02-06-2011, 6:58 AM
Marvelous! Thanks for posting. I know, what is it about birdhouses?! But I, too, love them in all shapes and sizes.

Doug W Swanson
02-06-2011, 8:21 AM
What a great idea! I make a bunch of these and am always looking for different looks to them. I think I'm going to try that one of these times!

Very cool!

Dennis Ford
02-06-2011, 8:26 AM
The proportions and workmanship on this are very very good. I am sure it will sell quickly.

dan carter
02-06-2011, 10:01 AM
Pretty clever. I am sure you will sell all you make rather quickly.

Bernie Weishapl
02-06-2011, 10:06 AM
Now that is a unique idea. Those might sell well.

David E Keller
02-06-2011, 10:15 AM
That's a cool idea. I'll bet you sell it quickly! Although I'm not a fan of captured rings, they do add a certain 'how'd ya do that' factor to the piece that I think will draw folks in. Nicely done.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Curt - really cool idea! Any time you deal with ornaments, you have to figure out a way to hang them! This solves that issue and allows the ornament to be placed anywhere! Seriously - great idea!

Very nice birdhouse! I like that you stuck with your style of roof - adds a lot of character to the piece! Bet this style out-sells all the others!

Curt Fuller
02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks everyone!

did the body and pedestal in one turning. Did you drill out the house all the way down, or just past the hole?
John, this is just basically a goblet with a lid. I bored the inside out with a forstner bit to the bottom of the house. Being a straight sided house, I just drilled it and sanded the inside. On curvy ones I usually drill and then use a little gouge work to follow the outside form. It also works out better to lay out the basic shape you want and drill the hole for the door and perch before turning. Then once the inside of the house is turned I just pack it tight with a paper towel and bring the tailstock up into the wad of towel for support. I don't have a steady, but if you had one small enough it would be a good idea to use one while turning the 'stick'.

I don't think I'll add the captive rings to the next ones I make, but it was good practice and good wood to make them from.

Michael James
02-06-2011, 11:30 AM
That is totally cool! I've been wanting to do a little birdhouse for my desk, and you have solved the sm footprint dillema, AND makes for a cleaner finial without the hook. Very nicely done - Thanks for posting.
mj

gary Zimmel
02-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Real nice idea that turned out very well Curt. Thanks for passing it on to us.

Jon Lanier
02-06-2011, 1:29 PM
A really neat idea! Good execution of the birdhouse.

Roger Chandler
02-06-2011, 1:56 PM
Great birdhouse Curt. I don't think the captive rings add anything to the birdhouse, but they are neat to do for the turner.

Baxter Smith
02-06-2011, 2:28 PM
Must be something in your water this week with all the wild ideas you have come up with Curt.:) Never done a bird house but this looks like a neat one to try.

.... I have a piece of Buckthorn that Baxter sent me months ago that I have been meaning to turn - neat color. This may be a perfect idea for it. Thanks!!
You must have been inhaling too much claro dust John.;) The Buckthorn didn't come from me. Or I've been turning too much old apple and can't remember.:)

Scott Hackler
02-06-2011, 2:49 PM
That is a really cool idea. I don't think you will have any trouble selling a gross of those!

James Combs
02-06-2011, 3:54 PM
Outstandingly unique. Love it. Definite addition to my todo list.

Tim Thiebaut
02-06-2011, 7:18 PM
Very cool design, I like it alot.

David DeCristoforo
02-06-2011, 7:20 PM
I like it. A high rise bird house. Very cool. When can I move in? That looks bigger than my shop!

Kieran Kammerer
02-06-2011, 7:32 PM
Very neat idea Curt. I agreee that people seem to have a certain place in their heart for bird houses. Keep it up.