PDA

View Full Version : anyone recognize my router?

Dave Tesch
02-05-2011, 11:57 PM
i've had this router since 1996. i took it home with me when i cleaned out my grandfathers house after his funeral, and i have used it a lot ever since. it still has the original price tage on it - $35. any idea how old it is?

a lot of folks my age ask me "what is a montgomery wards?" :rolleyes: they had'em where i grew up but not around fargo ND.

a few days ago i noticed that a lot of the screws had gotten really loose, and one of the screws holding the black base on had loosened to the point of where it jammed against the piece i was cutting - this took me a while to figure out what was jamming as every time i lifted the router i saw nothing wrong with the board :D.

in picture 2719, what is going on with the base in the center - where the four screw holes are in the recess where the black piece has a large round hole in it? what is this for? it gets int he way of several of my bits and i have contemplated grinding it off.

also, the arbor needs some work or replaced - its basically ok but it sticks pretty good to the bits and there is some type of collar spring in there that is loose, maybe this is correct?

Chris Rosenberger
02-06-2011, 12:56 AM
It looks like it was made by Stanley. I am guessing late 1960s or early 1970s.
The 4 screw holes are where the template guide bushing attaches.

Rick Moyer
02-06-2011, 9:15 AM
here's a funny Monthomery Wards story: My friend was working at a Montgomery Wards in the early seventies, about the time microwaves were just getting to be known for the kitchen. Another guy there was quite a clown and he worked in the appliance department. Well, for a short time (before they fired him) whenever someone came in asking about a microwave, he would don welder's gloves and a helmet and goggles before demonstarting the microwave oven! My fiend said it was hilarious watching people's reaction to that.

glenn bradley
02-06-2011, 12:05 PM
+1 on Stanley circa 1970's

Harvey Melvin Richards
02-06-2011, 12:19 PM
I have the same Monkey Wards router, I also got it from my Grandfather. I do believe it was made by Stanley, as it will accept all of my Bosch bushings. I like the way the on-off knob pops out in the off position to lock the arbor. Nice only needing one wrench, and no silly little button to push.

My router it pre 1970, although I'm not sure by how much.

Bruce Page
02-06-2011, 12:36 PM
I had an old Craftsman “Commercial” router from the same era that was actually a good little router. The ¼" collet would stick also, I would have to tap the bit with a piece of wood to break it loose.
I kinda wish I hadn’t sold it.

J. Greg Jones
02-06-2011, 12:41 PM
Here is the Stanley version that I have, also inherited from my grandfather. The book in the picture is dated 1971. It's actually a nice little router-I don't know about the Wards models, but mine also has a light at the collet to shine on the work. The motor is 6 amps, turns at 23k, and has a 1/4" collet. Mine will accept a bit up to 1 1/4" without hitting the template opening. Given the motor specs, that's as big a bit as I would want to use in this router anyway.

http://grab.by/grabs/7988ceb8d2d0ac064d223a7788ba72b2.png

http://grab.by/grabs/15f59c099ceda4a1cdf35566eb8b7c1c.png

http://grab.by/grabs/a651652e5d6d0f2534b787b063f466a1.png

Dave Tesch
02-06-2011, 1:48 PM
wow, i've learned a lot.

can i still buy the bushings for the base? what exactly is tha for, letter and patterns?i tried stanleys website but couldnt find much there about this.

Bruce Wrenn
02-06-2011, 9:34 PM
These router were once as common as fleas on a dog. Stanley made kits to mortise hinges on doors, and this router came with it. Stanley eventually became a part of Bosch

Rick Potter
02-07-2011, 4:24 AM
Dave,

If I read you correctly, and you are using bits that almost touch the side of those screw lands, I would suggest you are using way to big a bit for a hand held router. Looks dangerous to me.

Rick Potter