PDA

View Full Version : Another one got away...

Mike Cruz
02-05-2011, 11:14 PM
Yup, happened again. Missed a CL gem. A Powermatic 13 came up for sale. I responded quite quickly, but apparently not quickly enough. Someone else got it...for $250...:mad:

Chip Lindley
02-06-2011, 1:24 AM
Just wasn't meant to be Mike! Keep telling yourself it probably had serious issues!

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 1:58 AM
Deep breath and repeat after me: "It was underpowered doesn't oscillate and I am holding out for a Wysong & Miles or at least a Central Machinery (not the Harbor Freight name) sander!"

Mike Cruz
02-06-2011, 7:01 AM
Chip, the guy described it as in very good condition with no tracking problems and no slop in the bearings. Paint was not pristine, but passable.

Van, I'll keep repeating it. Whether it will do any good is another story.

At $250, I think it was a steal. The only other one I could find for sale was on Amazon...for $1500.... Heck the GRIZZLY models that aren't on their own stands (you have to make your own) that sell new for $600 have been going for $300 at aution in so-so conditon. I suppose the ONLY thing that might soothe this pit in my stomach is that it is gold...as in 80's-90's gold. The time period that most of you guys say that PM was at its worst.

Not sure if I mentioned it, but I've been looking for an affordable edge sander for a while. Love these types of machines. That is where the pit came from. They just don't show up everyday like TS's.

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 10:47 AM
I know what you mean I have a hit list of machines for my new shop, if I don't find good old ones by the time the shop is finished I will probably relent at least on some of them and shop in the Orient.

An edge sander is one, but I really want an oscillating one and they are rare in my used market and often are the huge variety, I keep lusting after the American made Vega but it is still 2K.

OSS seem to be the second most beat on machine I come across, I have never torn one open but I would still give it a shot but I don't want to spend my life collecting a set of inserts and spindles. Come of mint State with a full set!

Shapers are plentiful but in my view the most beat up, I want 3 hp and a 1.25" spindle and often they are Euro machines that still bring a premium even worn down. But this I have time to wait on like the sanders.

I will probably find a drill press, I want a PM 1150 non-VS with a tilting table not a production table. I wanna 3 phase/VFD it for variable speed. (your motor may find its way here) I have a line on a cherry one, but he is "deciding" whether to sell it.

Jointers and planers have me a little irritated they show up BUT I really want a insert head and often the Byrd head for them costs more than a Asian machine with equal capacity. I don't mind spending some more but I will have to get a REALLY gloat worthy deal to jump on them.

Floor standing mortisers in good shape are rare too.

Lathes are around but I really wanna try my "make a HF lathe better" experiment.

But bandsaws and table saws are plentiful, just what I don't need more of, but if the RIGHT bandsaw comes up...

PS don't fear the gold, "worst" is relative. Honestly I would have gone after that sander too, at the price it would be hard to go wrong, kinda like the Yates BS you posted. I wonder who got it.

I think if myself like a Craigs List cheetah, I won't get 'em all but if the right fat impala comes by you better bet I have a little extra speed saved up for him, however there is always a faster cheetah, I just have to get closer than him/her before we spook the pray.