PDA

View Full Version : Turners buying turnings:

Gary Conklin
02-05-2011, 9:50 PM
Do you as a turner collect, buy or otherwise covet other turners work? I find that I sometimes see a piece that really appeals to me and would like to have it in my collection. Just curious if other turners feel the same way?:confused:

David E Keller
02-05-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm glad you brought this up, Gary. I don't have a collection, but I would like to begin. I enjoy sending pieces to others, and I've often thought that it might be fun to have forum swap. It could be an annual event, and we could figure out a way to make it a fund raiser for SMC. Just a thought...

Scott Hubl
02-05-2011, 10:31 PM
I have my eye on a piece by a well known Artist.

I have a few of this persons DVD's even and would like to have one of their turnings.

The one I want is about $450.00 though. I Almost pulled the trigger on it and I still may.:eek:

I can buy other works of theirs for alot less some pieces as low as $39.00 but I really LIKE the one I have my eye on. :cool:

But it is an Investment if I buy it. :D

Still thinking on it, but I would sure Love to have it.

David Warkentin
02-05-2011, 10:44 PM
I second the vote for a swap.

Doug W Swanson
02-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I have my eye on a piece by a well known Artist.

I have a few of this persons DVD's even and would like to have one of their turnings.

The one I want is about $450.00 though. I Almost pulled the trigger on it and I still may.:eek:

I can buy other works of theirs for alot less some pieces as low as $39.00 but I really LIKE the one I have my eye on. :cool:

But it is an Investment if I buy it. :D

Still thinking on it, but I would sure Love to have it.

Scott,
I didn't think I was that well known but if you are going to pay me $450 for my bowl, I'd gladly accept it.

Oh, wait a second.....You're not talking about me, are you?

Anyway, I think a swap would be kind of fun. Maybe something similar to the pen exchange last summer....

David Warkentin
02-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Over on another forum they swapped pens and IIRC they devided themselves into beginner and expert or something like that. I don't know if it would be fair to one of you artists to get a little bowl from me and you send me something really nice.

Scott Hackler
02-05-2011, 11:27 PM
There are a couple of the well known turners that have produced items that I really like. Like well enough to possibly purchase one, but the prices they command (and get) are way more than what I would spend on a piece from another turner. Not that I dont think (some of them) are worth the money, but more that I know I would be getting it just to study it for learning / copying. I think the admiration would die off once I was able to replicate the form.

But a trade of some sorts would be cool.

Mark Eisen
02-05-2011, 11:52 PM
This is a great idea, but if overseas members join in the postage to US of A is expensive.

Michelle Rich
02-06-2011, 5:42 AM
I would buy others if I was financially able to do so. Recently I saw a set of 3 lidded bowls on WOW and I knew exactly where i would put them in my own house! The pieces showed great skill in areas I have little, such as pyro & piercing. Why not support others, if one can?

Jack Camillo
02-06-2011, 7:19 AM
I love and enjoy art. I'm certain I could never duplicate the results of some of the incredible talent and experience I see posted here no matter how many tools I buy or years I spend doing the same craft. Art is such an individual expression. So, yes, I would purchase others' work.

Bill Bulloch
02-06-2011, 7:43 AM
At Christmas our turning club exchange gifts raffle style: Each person brings a wrapped, anonymous gift and gets a ticket, when your number is drawn you pick a gift. We, also raffle the turnings made by demonstrators at our meetings. These are usually unfinished piecies, but are made by some well known and popular turners. I have nine pieces in my collection accumulated so far.

Bill Blasic
02-06-2011, 8:32 AM
Our club does a Christmas exchange based as the same premise used at the WOW Exchanges. Bring a piece and get a ticket then two tickets are picked and those two exchange gifts. The WOW Exchange happens at a lot of events like the AAW Symposium and coming up next month there will be one at Totally Turning in Saratoga Springs. I also have been known to buy a piece here and there.
Bill

Fred Perreault
02-06-2011, 8:53 AM
I like the idea of some sort of swap or exchange. I just don't kbow how easy the logistice might be. And there are a lot of turnings I have seen on the site and in person at shows that interest me enough to buy them. However, on a list of reasons to buy theses treasured items, "investment" would be very low. I am a numismatist, with an extensive collection of quality US coins, mostly silver and gold. The fact that they increase in value is more of a bonus to me... it is more the beauty, artwork, history and opportunity to view them any time that motivates me. I am mostly a utility turner and just love many of the turned pieces this group has shown, and many I would buy and probably use. Do we get 15% off ?? :) :) :)

Jerry Marcantel
02-06-2011, 9:07 AM
I belong Knappers-R-Us, a flintknapping club, and each year we have a gift exchange, called "The Silica Santa Exchange". Supposedly we have over 1000 members, but usually only about 50 people participate. The moderator puts the list online, someone chooses a number from 1 - 10, and where your name is on the list, count down the chosen number from your name, and that is the person you will send a gift to. Count up that number, and that's the person who will send you something. Mod rules states to not send over $25 in value, but it's impossible to send rock in a flat rate medium box that averages 25 pounds.. Some of the premium rock we use could have a $20 a pound value, or in the case of slabs, $5 per inch, or maybe the tools someone will add to the box brings the value way up past the restriction. Even a particular knapper participating might be well known and gets big bucks for his points, and if you're lucky enough to have him as your Santa, you're in luck. The best thing about the exchange is, it's all voluntary. We all appreciate what we get because the all the rock in the packages are from locations other than ours, and I for one, live in a rock poor area....
I have a fairly large collection of OPP's (other peoples points), and would love to have a collection of OPT's (other peoples turnings), but from what I've seen here at SMC is most turners posting their turnings consider themselve artists, and I'm guessing their stuff is sold as they complete it. The other people that ask techinal questions are usually new, and would likely be the best source for getting turnings for a collection..... Anyone want to trade???????
As far as the international exchange, a flat rate box is limited to 20 pounds. The cost to England was $34 two years ago. The only requirement was a customs declaration of the value and the contents.. Now, from what a rock supplier from Poland states is he can send all the rock he mines to the US, even with dirt on it, but it can't be in wooden crates... Must be metal.... I haven't sent any wood anywhere outside the US, but it might not be possible..... Jerry (in Tucson)

David E Keller
02-06-2011, 10:24 AM
Jerry, I'm happy to being your collection of OPT as part of the little deal we arranged, but I think it would make a great annual event.

Shipping wood overseas is fine, but bark is not allowed. I've sent wood to Australia on several occasions and recieved in kind... No troubles. The shipping is not cheap, but ~$40 will get you a pretty good sized box anywhere in the world coming from the US. The elsewhere to US shipping varies but is generally weight based in my limited experience... Finished turnings could be pretty affordable in that regard.

Any thoughts from our mods on the feasibility of an exchange perhaps to benefit the forum?

Gary, if you ever see anything I've turned that tickles your fancy, shoot me a PM, and we'll figure something out.

Joe Herrmann
02-06-2011, 10:26 AM
I started collecting boxes several years ago and have accumulated quite a collection. They are small, easy to display and are RELATIVELY inexpensive compared to larger works. Unfortunately most big name turners don't make them. I also collect them from folks that I identify as "up 'n commers" before they get so famous where I'm priced out of the market.

Also, I belong to the same club as Bill Blasic and the swap is one of my favorite meetings as are the WoW exchanges at different conferences.

Gary Conklin
02-06-2011, 10:38 AM
David, thanks for the offer I will keep it in mind. Maybe it is different for me. My start into woodturning was because, I was collecting. I was fascinated with turnings and especially hollow forms. I aquired a few small pieces and started thinking wow I really want to try doing this. So I did, I think collecting would have been lesss expensive haha, but I find turning very rewarding and am glad I started, but still love to collect special pieces. There have been several turners on this forum from whom I would like to add to my collection. My really special piece I would love to afford and have was

Turned/Carved by: Keith Holt

http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll/c/content/f/viewproperty/siteid/G6kOAI/contentclass/PICT/contentid/ZZZZZ1YO/propertyname/File/~/Meditation_Mask.jpg (http://www.myfamily.com/isapi.dll/c/content/f/viewproperty/siteid/G6kOAI/contentclass/PICT/contentid/ZZZZZ1YO/propertyname/Original/~/MedMaskRedDotSmall.jpg)

From the moment I saw this piece I was moved by it.

charlie knighton
02-06-2011, 1:20 PM
Many AAW local chapters have participated in the Empty Bowls project
by raising funds and awareness. At the Empty Bowl display in the
2011 AAW symposium Instant Gallery, bowls will be collected and
sold, with the proceeds from sales going to Second Harvest to fund
food for the hungry. Purchasers will take home a bowl to keep as a
reminder of all the empty bowls in the world. We are asking every
AAW member to contribute a bowl to the project. Let us build on past
chapter success, celebrating our woodturning community and skills,
and turn a bowl to help feed the hungry.

i believe each bowl will be $25

Jon Lanier
02-06-2011, 1:27 PM
I have to admit, I've never purchased another turner's 'turning.' I don't know if I've even considered it. What I have been is totally inspired by most turners. Something is shown and I want to try it, adapt it...etc. Yet, I rarely keep anything I do for myself they usually end up being sold or given away as gifts. The same thing goes for my scroll saw work. I've never purchased another's work, but yet have few of my own.

But this thread has made me think more about acquiring other artist work.

Lee Koepke
02-06-2011, 1:45 PM
i believe each bowl will be $25

They are having an Empty Bowl Soup Dinner that supports our local Soup Kitchen. Local chefs make soup, people get a bowl. Now the bowls they use are ceramic from local artists, but if I can get one of my blanks finished turned by the end of Feb, I will donate it for their Silent Auction / Buy it Now table.

I dont expect much, being only my 4th or 5th bowl, but thats my goal for this month!

Roger Chandler
02-06-2011, 1:53 PM
I find that this VORTEX has cost me so much money in buying tools, etc, that I don't have anything left to purchase turnings from others as of yet, but I have seen so many that are beautiful. I am coming to the point that I am just beginning to be willing to part with some $$$$ for burls etc, and then I will be able to turn some of the admirable works I have seen, myself.

I like the idea of the swap that Dr. Keller mentions........might be a fun thing to do!

Jeff Moffett
02-06-2011, 2:22 PM
A number of years ago I took a class from Dale Nish in Provo, Utah. He invited the entire class to his home one evening to view the woodturnings that filled every room in his house. I automatically assumed they were all his, but discovered that the overwhelming majority of turnings were from other famous turners from around the globe. As a well known turner himself, I think Dale traded for most of the pieces in his collection. Very cool to see if you ever take a class from him at Craft Supplies.

Wally Dickerman
02-06-2011, 2:58 PM
I've never bought a piece from another turner but I've sold several pieces to turners and regretted later that I didn't instead ask for a trade. I do have a modest collection of perhaps 15 pieces that I've acquired through trades. Quite a few are from well known turners who sort of blew me away when they asked for a trade.

Just counted...it's 16 traded pieces. Trading is fun.

Wally

David DeCristoforo
02-06-2011, 3:24 PM
Ahh... that's all I need. More turnings kicking around the house!

Seriously I would love to have a collection of other people's work. But I really can't afford to invest in that kind of stuff right now and I don't think my stuff is valuable enough to trade for the stuff I would like to have.

Thom Sturgill
02-06-2011, 3:59 PM
I just returned from the Florida symposium and they hold an auction from which they fund a number of scholarships. Most of the items were donated tools or junk but the last dozen were turned pieces. I had my eye on one piece,l but it quickly went over $500. A couple of items were sold out of the instant gallery, and sold to other turners! Same at other symposiums I have been to.

James Combs
02-06-2011, 4:22 PM
I have to admit, I've never purchased another turner's 'turning.' I don't know if I've even considered it. What I have been is totally inspired by most turners. Something is shown and I want to try it, adapt it...etc. Yet, I rarely keep anything I do for myself they usually end up being sold or given away as gifts. ....But this thread has made me think more about acquiring other artist work.

...I would love to have a collection of other people's work. But I really can't afford to invest in that kind of stuff right now and I don't think my stuff is valuable enough to trade for the stuff I would like to have.

I think the swap idea is great but my current position/situation/status or whatever you want to call it is pretty much what Jon and David say as quoted above.

Dennis Ford
02-06-2011, 4:22 PM
I am similar to Jon on this, have never bought another turner's work and rarely even keep my own for very long. Making things is of much greater interest to me than owning those things.

I have to admit, I've never purchased another turner's 'turning.' I don't know if I've even considered it. What I have been is totally inspired by most turners. Something is shown and I want to try it, adapt it...etc. Yet, I rarely keep anything I do for myself they usually end up being sold or given away as gifts. The same thing goes for my scroll saw work. I've never purchased another's work, but yet have few of my own.

But this thread has made me think more about acquiring other artist work.

William Bachtel
02-06-2011, 4:44 PM
I have never purchased from another Woodturner, but I have traded before. I sawed burls up on my Bandsawmill for turned pieces before. Last trade was two Christmas ornaments.

George Guadiane
02-06-2011, 5:50 PM
My wife purchased a Koa hollow form in Hawaii. I have purchased a few pieces from Don Orr. Not expensive or fancy, just very well done.
I TRADED for a mini hat by Johannes Michelsen a few years ago. He needed a piece of wood I had and made the offer. I've been involved in the WoW trades for a couple of times and look forward to the next one at Totally Turning in March. I traded one of my hand carved ivory Hawaiian style fish hooks for a nice little piece from Bonnie Klein, Rick Angus "borrowed a nice piece of bark edged apple at a show in Springfield MA and brought it back to me when he was done with it. I have a couple of pieces by Ron Pessolano, he helped me when I was starting out and I gave (and sold) him a lot of wood. Big John and others have given or traded pieces with me. Stan Engle, Jack Teffenhart, Chris Stolicky have all given me numerous pens because of the woods I have donated to them and the clubs I belong to. I've bought a few too.

I really LIKE having the work of other turners. I can't afford the big money stuff, but I like the pieces I have, and enjoy trading with others.