PDA

View Full Version : 14" Bandsaw Conundrum - Money Burning a Hole in My Pocket

Joe Pack
02-05-2011, 8:53 PM
:confused:

I am considering adding a 14" bandsaw to my already crowded basement workshop

I already have a 17" 2hp Grizzly with excellent quality 3/4" Timberwolf blade that does all my heavy cutting/resawing/ripping, but a lot of the craft show type work I find myself getting into requires finer cutting than can be done with my current 17" setup. Yes, I can change the blades, but that requires more time setting up the saw than cutting with it.

If I add a 14" saw, I will set it up with a Carter Stabilizer single guide system and a 3/16" blade and leave it pretty much set. That way I can do my heavier cutting on one saw and do the smaller, finer work on the other without wasting time on repeated set-ups.

Because I already have the large saw, I don't need the "best" or most powerful or most expensive 14" saw. I have pretty much narrowed down my search to 2 (3?) saws. These are the Grizzly 0555P that I can buy for a total of $499 and the Delta 28-206 that I can buy for $540. (A similar Jet is also available, but in the low $600 range).

Both are 1hp, can use a 6" riser if needed, and both have 4" dust collection outlets.

The Grizzly has Carter-style bearings, the Delta uses cool blocks (however neither of these will be used with the Carter Stabilizer, so that is a moot point for my intended use).

The Grizzly is open stand, the Delta is closed (but many reviews on Amazon refer to a severe vibration in the Delta, most due to warped stands).

The Grizzly includes a very good quality fence system and "okay" miter gauge while neither is included with the Delta. I may not need them often, but they are included with the Grizzly, and can be used on other machines or tables if I need them.

The Grizzly has to be shipped, then assembled. I can pick up the Delta directly from the floor already assembled but spend $40 in gas going to get it.

I have been completely satisfied with my 17" Grizzly and with their customer support (other folks' mileage may vary on the support issue). Still, with Grizzly I have to worry about damaged or defective parts and dealing with a company 400 miles away, while the Delta dealer is only an hour away and is highly respected in our area.

What to do, what to do?????

You get the idea. Thanks for letting me ramble and think this through. And thanks for any opinions, rambling or otherwise, that you might wish to share!

glenn bradley
02-05-2011, 9:15 PM
It sounds like you don't want to hear this but, I change blades on my 17" Griz all the time. The only setup involved is adjusting the guides which takes about a minute. When I set up a new blade I do perform the flutter method and jot down the tension setting. When I go from a 3/4" to 1/4" blade of whatever, I just dial the tension, set the guides and go.

I do keep a pair of gloves, the table pin wrench and the hex key required in an organizer that also holds the fence when not in use. This makes blade changes quite quick and easy.

Now that I've said all that, I should add that I have a 10" 1970's Delta that I am glad to have for quick curvey cuts so, I do understand the convenience. If you have the room for a quality 14" saw to configure for curved work, I certainly wouldn't fault you for getting one. I have a large sander I have been pining for but, I will not give up the working room required to fit it into the shop. It is a hard argument we all have with ourselves at one time or another ;-)

Van Huskey
02-05-2011, 9:15 PM
Your money your choice.

I would actually rather have the solid guides for a dedicated narrow blade saw, they are better for narrow blades AND the stabilizer is not the best for all narrow blade cuts, an example would be cutting dovetails. IF you intend ONLY to cut curves then the stabilizer usually is the best choice so that could be a non-issue, plus you may be able to get a set of block guides from the older Grizzly saws and have the block guides for those occasions, still cheaper than the Delta. If you don't plan to cut anything straight then the fence is probably a non issue also. All digested the Grizzly will ultimately be cheaper no matter which way you go with accessorizing it.

In the end my choice is neither. Since you already have a saw spend some time searching for a used one, likely to come in under the Grizzly price and don't even need to worry about the guides in your situation.

Further, when it comes time to replace the TW blade on your saw you may want to take some time to discover the many better alternatives, many of which are cheaper outright and most will outlast silicon steel blades by a wide margin.

Van Huskey
02-05-2011, 9:17 PM
It sounds like you don't want to hear this but, I change blades on my 17" Griz all the time. The only setup involved is adjusting the guides which takes about a minute.

Blasphemy, a shop without a bandsaw for every blade type used is as neglected as a shop without a router for every bit!

Jim Rimmer
02-07-2011, 2:55 PM
I have the G0555X and if I was going to get a second saw for what you describe i would opt for the G0555P. I have a BS and a TS from Grizzly and both arrived in fine condition and were put to use right away.

David Hostetler
02-07-2011, 2:59 PM
I have a 14" bandsaw, but if I were looking to replace it, or add a second, I would snatch up that Grizzly in a hot flash...

Joseph Tarantino
02-07-2011, 8:14 PM
:confused:

A similar Jet is also available, but in the low $600 range.

at least you ruled out the overpriced stuff that won't ever live up to your expectations for it. good luck with your search.

Jeremy Greiner
02-07-2011, 9:19 PM
How thick do you think your fine work would get? It may be possible to get away with a 10 or 12'' bandsaw, save on space and money?

-jeremy