PDA

View Full Version : Switch on Briidgewood 440 bandsaw?

Dave Lewis
02-05-2011, 7:15 PM
I bought this bandsaw used. It runs fine and very smooth, but it makes a buzzing noise from the switch when off. The data sheet says "Made in Italy" and wheels are 44mm in diameter. Thoughts?

Neil Brooks
02-05-2011, 8:01 PM
My first guess would be loose or corroded contacts on the switch terminals.

Easy enough to check, in any case....

Jamie Buxton
02-05-2011, 8:44 PM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

IIRC, Bridgewood was built by ACM. ACM also was building Laguna and Hammer bandsaws at the time, and all three are nearly identical.

Carroll Courtney
02-05-2011, 8:45 PM
If its a 3phase then maybe one leg is not dropping out,and if its 220 single phase and it has a two pole contactor then maybe one of the legs is not dropping out.I would first unplug the machine making sure that you did kill the power,remove the cover and check to see if the contactor is still pulled in alittle on one of the legs.Pics would also help out alot----Carroll

Carl Knapp
02-08-2011, 12:11 AM
buzzing is usually a low voltage problem to the magnetic or bad coil coil that pulls in and allows the contact switch to operate. I would check the stop loop which is a loop consisting of the stop switch, any door switches and foot brake, The MM16 did this when the foot brake was out of adjustment, you could pull the switch and jumper the entire loop. this coil is designed so that when the coil looses power for any reason, power loss, foot brake pressed or a door opened the contactor drops out. Ounce power or the loop is closed you have to turn the main switch again to start the motor.