PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum handles for detail gouges

Alan Zenreich
02-05-2011, 6:41 PM
My wife is practicing her spindle turning, working on some jewelry pieces.

I thought it time to get her some first rate spindle gouges.

So, I acquired three made by Doug Thompson: 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" detail gouges.

Of course, these come unhandled and I was trying to decide what kind to make.

I had a few pieces of 1" x 12" 6061 bar stock laying around for a while, and thought it time to put them to use.

I drilled two of the handles to have 1/4" one one end, and 3/8" on the other. The second pair of handels were drilled to 3/8" on one end and 1/2" on the other.

A length of 1 3/8" OD (1" ID) clear reinforced hose was warmed in water to make it easier to slide over the rods.

I opted to drill and tap the threaded holes after the hose was mounted onto the rods. It's not quite as neat as doing a two step process, but it made for some small, perfectly aligned holes.

There are a pair of 8x10mm set screws on each end (this matches the size in OneWay Threadlock ferrules as well as in the Thompson handles, so I figured that I'd just go with the flow).

The handles have some nice weight, and 12" seems to be a nice length for working with detail gouges. Time will tell.

Meanwhile, Lauren is happy... and I even gave her a hands on lesson in tapping holes for the 8mm screws.

I'll likely make a web page with some more of the work progress photos, but these might keep you amused.

Of course, I could have simply purchased a few handles, but as Lauren said "Oh, you had a good time with yet another project" <vbg>

Tim Thiebaut
02-05-2011, 6:47 PM
Very well done, I want to get a small metal lathe to learn on one day myself.

Alan Zenreich
02-05-2011, 6:50 PM
Actually, though I do have a 7"x14" mini metal lathe, I didn't use it for this project.

I did the drilling on my Nova DVR XP. There were so many different options for how to proceed, I just used what was handy. If I were to do it again, I would have done the center-drilling on a drill press (instead of using the tailstock, as shown), then moved the rod over to the lathe to drill the final holes.

Brent Grooms
02-05-2011, 7:40 PM
Alan, just out of curiousity... on the first photo... the tools are inserted in the end opposite the set screws. Am I missing something or did you get extra long tools from Doug?

Andrew Raymond
02-05-2011, 7:46 PM
Set screws both ends

Alan Zenreich
02-05-2011, 7:50 PM
Brent,

In the first photo, the camera angle makes it less than obvious that there are a pair of set screws on each end of the handle. The holes that the chisels mount into are about 2" deep.

Tim Thiebaut
02-05-2011, 8:22 PM
Actually, though I do have a 7"x14" mini metal lathe, I didn't use it for this project.

I did the drilling on my Nova DVR XP. There were so many different options for how to proceed, I just used what was handy. If I were to do it again, I would have done the center-drilling on a drill press (instead of using the tailstock, as shown), then moved the rod over to the lathe to drill the final holes.

Hey what ever works is great! I have turned a few small brass pieces on my 1220vs....I still want a small metal lathe though! LOL