View Full Version : Some pretty Cocobolo

Jack Mincey
02-05-2011, 6:23 PM
I'm not sure if I got this cocobolo from Packard or The Wood turners Catalog, but I ordered some 24" x 1 1/2 "x 1 1/2" from one of them when they had it on special. I use cocobolo for most of my crow calls and I'm extremely impressed with the quality and color of this cocobolo. Here is a picture of calls I just completed using it.
Jack
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v727/flyrod444/100_1676.jpg

Roger Chandler
02-05-2011, 6:29 PM
Wow! What a group.............get them all going at once, and I am sure it would sound like a flock of those annoying birds!

Jack Camillo
02-05-2011, 6:29 PM
Why would anyone call crows? I try to shoo them away!

Ray Chalenski
02-05-2011, 7:00 PM
Some beautiful calls made out of gorgeous wood.

Don Alexander
02-05-2011, 7:07 PM
Why would anyone call crows? I try to shoo them away!

you call them so you can shoot them and that part is alot harder than you might think

Steve Vaughan
02-05-2011, 7:37 PM
Wow! I call that beautiful!

John Keeton
02-05-2011, 8:35 PM
Jack, that sure is a nice looking batch of calls - and, you are right - the cocobolo is very nice!

Jack, Don - around here, folks use a crow call as a locator call for tom turkeys. They will often shock gobble to the sound of a crow, peacock, or owl.

Ken Hill
02-05-2011, 8:41 PM
Same her John, an Owl decoy and a hooter call usually brings the Crows in to the gun.

Very nice calls Jack, the styling and wood all wor well together!

David E Keller
02-05-2011, 9:03 PM
Nice gaggle or flock of calls(Not sure what a group of calls are called).

I really like the one's that have a bit of sapwood contrast.

Nate Davey
02-05-2011, 9:15 PM
"It's a murder David, a murder" in my best Homer Simpson voice. As mentioned on NCWW beautiful job Jack.

Pierce Davidson
02-05-2011, 9:39 PM
Not only beautiful stock. That's a great job of turning it into crow calls. What are the mouth pieces made from?

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2011, 9:47 PM
Wow what a bunch of beauties. Nicely done Jack.

brian watts
02-05-2011, 9:50 PM
WOW really like it with the sap..

Baxter Smith
02-05-2011, 10:00 PM
Quite a pretty collection!

Don Alexander
02-05-2011, 10:41 PM
Jack, Don - around here, folks use a crow call as a locator call for tom turkeys. They will often shock gobble to the sound of a crow, peacock, or owl.

now that you mention it i seem to remember hearing that from a friend who hunts turkeys alot

Jack Mincey
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the kind words everyone. Nature sure did a great job on this cocobolo for me. Most of these calls will be sold to crow hunters thru a crow hunting site. I also sell several to turkey hunters to use as a locator calls, but my calls are tuned to fool crows which has to be a much more realistic sound than most crow calls sold for the purpose of locating turkeys. I have located many an old tom just by slamming my truck door when I get out to start my hunt. Any loud sound will cause and old tom to gobble some times. The mouth pieces are made from red cedar. It is easy to work with and is not effected by moisture which is a problem when one blows in one for a while. I have even left one in my pants pocket which went through the washing machine twice with no problems. One of the coolest things about my crow calls is that I can now google my name and it takes me to many sites where my calls are talked about or compared to other crow calls.
Thanks Again,
Jack

Ken Hill
02-06-2011, 1:21 PM
Right on Jack

The majority of the calls ive heard, including the ones I make are just to high pitched. They work great for turkeys (slamming a door or honkin the horn here will send them in to the next county).

I had a mallardtone for years that never failed me. Maybe when my son gets enough expierence he can help me cut my own reeds, I think thats the only way one can get the sound you have obtained. I can get the plastic ones deep with good tonal range but no where near what I could achieve with the MT call.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2011, 1:34 PM
Wow - you sure have been busy! You are right - great looking wood! Best of luck with your sales!