PDA

View Full Version : I Am Not the Reincarnation of Rude Osolnik (RIP)

Nate Davey
02-05-2011, 6:20 PM
I wanted to make a candlestick like Rude Osolniks masterpiece. What I ended up with is a candlestick influenced by Rude Osolniks design. I was disappointed but the Minister of Finance, AKA Mrs Davey, likes it so now I'm happy. I also learned that, apparently, red wax is too costly to make an entire candle out of so they just coat the outside with red wax.:mad:

On this one I decide to try the Abranet variety pack my dad sent me for Christmas. Wow, I really like it. The pack came with 80, 120, 150, 180, 220, 320, 400 and 600 "grits" and the velcro backer. I see me going to this for all my sanding. I stopped at 400 and it was smooth as glass.

The candle stick is 11" long and about 2.5" in diameter at the base, Ambrosia Maple, with 3 coats of Deft Satin Lacquer.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

David Warkentin
02-05-2011, 6:22 PM
That looks good. Guess you carved base of candle a little?:)

Brian Libby
02-05-2011, 6:50 PM
very nice-I like the shape and wood

Steve Vaughan
02-05-2011, 7:39 PM
Looks really nice! I love what the grain does on these, really great pieces.

Kurt Barker
02-05-2011, 7:59 PM
I like everything about these candle holders - the shape, size, proportions, and finish. But I am particularly impressed with the finish. I've been looking for a finish for ambrosia maple that maximizes the contrast between the ambrosia-stained portions and the unstained portions, and now, thanks to you I can quit looking!

Great job!

Kurt Barker

David E Keller
02-05-2011, 8:27 PM
The inspiration is definitely evident in these, and I like your take on them. This style is by far my favorite candle stick style. Great wood, great shape, great finish... Great job.

Baxter Smith
02-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Very pretty candlesticks! Gives me a good idea of what to with a some of the ambrosia I have. Thanks for posting!

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2011, 10:09 PM
Really a nice piece and a favorite of mine. Nicely done.

Michelle Rich
02-06-2011, 5:36 AM
I saw these on another site, and immediately thought of Rude. The top here is out of proportion to his ( his is taller) , but it still clicked in my mind . This is a very nice interpretaion of his work, and I bet the Minister of Finance is happy. Very pretty piece

John Keeton
02-06-2011, 6:42 AM
The top here is out of proportion to his...I think the difference is that the ones done by Rude had the narrow waist at the 1/3 - 2/3 point on the candlestick with a sweeping curve both directions, but the inspiration here is obvious. Nate, you have done a nice job on this, and the wood is beautiful. It is an interesting variation on this theme, and having a happy recipient makes it all worthwhile!

Richard Kennedy UK
02-06-2011, 9:25 AM
Great attempt! I have spent years trying to replicate the shape it's actually really hard to do the profile is a sweeping curve with no flats. The proportion is critical too. Everyone is right about the 1/3 2/3 thing I have yet to get it right but they are such beautiful things when you get close that I love trying!

http://i700.photobucket.com/albums/ww9/r1kx/Fumed-Osolinks.jpg

These are fumed oak but not true Osolnik style. I'll get there someday or maybe not but I will still enjoy trying!

Nate Davey
02-06-2011, 9:39 AM
Thank you all for the kind comments and design pointers. I'm starting to get to the point where I'm more comfortable with the tools (technically proficient) but getting my brain to make the shapes where they belong and not in "random" locations... I'm still working on. Like the ogee curve, which I'm still struggling with, I knew the waist need to be 1/3 down but couldn't talk my hands into do it :) Beautiful collection of candlesticks Richard. For such a simple form it is deceptively difficult to execute.

Michael James
02-06-2011, 4:56 PM
Nice one Nate, I like it! I've got to build a couple for my sister but have not decided on a design yet. They have massive beams and a huge fireplace, so the candle stands are going to have to be bold. BTW, you CAN get red candles. Thanks for posting.

Steve Schlumpf
02-06-2011, 9:19 PM
Nate - nice variation on a design! Sure is some pretty wood! Glad to hear your Minister of Finance approves!