PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder - still wet.

Keith E Byrd
02-05-2011, 5:55 PM
This is my first green turning and 4th overall. Box elder, 6" tall and 5" wide at the top. I currently have it in a black plastic bag. THis is still in the rough and would like to get feed back on overall shape, changes I should make etc etc. I appreciate the candid and helpful comments I usually get!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

John Keeton
02-05-2011, 8:48 PM
Keith, from the pics, it doesn't look like you have enough thickness to change the form. Depending on what you do with the base, it is a pleasing enough shape. What are your thoughts - are you pleased with it?

David E Keller
02-05-2011, 9:01 PM
My first thought was the same... Probably not enough wall thickness to change much. Shapes are so subjective, so it's hard to guide you much there. Curves on the other hand should usually be fairly consistent without abrupt changes... The wide portion of the bottom curve seems just a little off in that regard, but it should be an easy fix.

I tend to like rounded bottoms on a lot of my forms because I like the way they feel when they're held in the hands... Other's prefer a defined foot. You're gonna have to find you muse for the details you like best.

Looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

Keith E Byrd
02-05-2011, 9:09 PM
John,
The top is about 3/8 thick at the brim. It is a little thicker going down. The base is fairly thick - still have about 1 1/2 inches in the bottom. Being new at this I struggle with what is correct prpoprtions etc. It feels a little clunky to me - I was thinking about slimming the base down some.

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2011, 9:55 PM
I agree you don't have enough wood at the top to do any changes. 1 1/2" on the bottom sounds like you have enough work with to finish the bottom. When I dry these I leave the top around 3/4" to 1" thick if I am going to dry it to be returned to the lathe.

John Keeton
02-05-2011, 9:57 PM
Keith, if you have enough thickness in the bulged area, then I would take out some of that area and make that curve softer, with less diameter there - more of this look, with perhaps a very small foot - no more than 3/16" high at the most. Just enough to lift the form a little to create a shadow.

http://www.discountcandleshop.com/images/sans/rubyvotiveholderwithstem.jpg