PDA

View Full Version : BA Plate

paul h senn
02-05-2011, 5:53 PM
Other than some pens this is the third item I turned. It is a piece of pecan that I purchased at the first turning symposium that I attended. I looked at it all weekend and just before I was going home I thought "why not". It is aprox. 30" in dia. and 2.75" thick. Although it had been drying for over a year and the moisture content was low it moved all over the place as I turned it. I would cut a little and then let it stablize for a day or two and cut a litte more. I repeated until it was completed and it has no warp. It is finished with Watco and buffed. The last photo will give a perspective of the size, I was having some fun with a photo that I took of my granddaughter.

Keith E Byrd
02-05-2011, 6:05 PM
That is one big plate! That is the one to use in a buffet line! Seriously - Very nice job - the grain patterns etc are great.

Roger Chandler
02-05-2011, 6:33 PM
Nice platter there Paul.........Your rack to hold it is nice, and of course that last picture is absolutely priceless!!!

Nate Davey
02-05-2011, 6:35 PM
That is a BA plate. You don't get an idea of how big it is until you compare it to the earth. Totally awesome.

kevin nee
02-05-2011, 6:48 PM
Beautiful Plate!!! I am curious to what a 30" blank costs

David DeCristoforo
02-05-2011, 8:17 PM
That's killer! It would be beautiful at any size but 30"!?!? Like the man said. that's big enough to have it's own atmosphere! Gee, in that last pic, it looks like it does!!!

John Keeton
02-05-2011, 8:40 PM
Paul, you did an outstanding job on this turning!! Fantastic form, and the wood is beautiful. Great pics, too. Third turning....unbelievable!

Jim Adkins
02-05-2011, 8:47 PM
Paul, you did good. Big piece of nice wood and ya did it correctly with it being somewhat damp.
BUT.......I think I like the grandaughter more, that's priceless!!

David E Keller
02-05-2011, 9:07 PM
It's a lovely shape, and the size alone is pretty impressive. If this is your third turning, you must be some kind of turning savant! I remember the suspended form you submitted for the SMC challenge which would have been your first or second piece! Move over Keeton!

paul h senn
02-05-2011, 9:20 PM
The suspended vessel was done after this. I am not one to usually post my work. I have been working on improving my photography skills and I took a lot of photos of the piece (with and without my granddaughter) and thought I would post a couple. I have been working with my hands my whole life which allows me to understand the concepts and methods used to turn wiood. I have a long way to go to measure up to the work that I routinely see posted here. I appreciate the positive comments about what I have been able to acomplish so far.

Dan Forman
02-05-2011, 9:34 PM
That's just fabulous, love the last picture as well.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2011, 9:36 PM
That is a beauty. Really nice piece and the wood is really nice.

Baxter Smith
02-05-2011, 9:57 PM
Beautiful wood and turning regardless of size!