PDA

View Full Version : Some old tools at local flea market... Worth it?

bob blakeborough
02-05-2011, 5:27 PM
Just came back from checking out a local flea market and found a few things. I am not familiar with vintage tool pricing and wanted to ask some opinions before considering a purchase...

First is a Stanley Combination plane with what looks like the original box and some extra pieces... I don't know the first thing about these and what to look for, but the $175.00 price tag seemed instantly too expensive, however I may be wrong. Through the case the only thing definitely wrong was a crack in the handle. Because of the price I didn't bother asking to handle it until I can determine if the price is reasonable or completely out of whack...

The second piece is a Disston Saw with a #8 stamped in the blade on the bottom corner under the handle. The etching is difficult to read as the saw is well used, but the blade is dead straight and the teeth seem to be in very good condition. They were asking $30.00 for it. I thought this could be a good score but again am not sure...

The third is a post WW2 Hoppe hand drill from West Germany. I actually bought this one at $20.00. I figured it was probably no great score, but I needed a hand drill and it feels quite stout and strong and for $20.00 I would give it a shot...

Any feedback on the other items would be appreciated. I am thinking I may grab that saw for sure if it is still there tomorrow, unless I find out it just isn't worth it...

Thanks!

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/misc/pencil.png

Rick Whitehead
02-05-2011, 8:09 PM
Well, in my opinion, both the Stanley 45 and the saw are overpriced.
$175.00 would be an OK price for a Stanley 45 in the original box with all the cutters. This one, however, is missing one box of cutters.It originally came with 23 cutters, in two boxes. It seems to be in good shape, but you would have to examine it closely in person.Look for cracks in the body and arms.Print out a parts list of the plane and compare it with what's there.
The Disston saw sounds OK, but the pitting on the blade reduces the value, but not the usefulness, a lot. $15.00 would be a much better price, although if you got it for $20.00, you'd be doing OK.The main thing to look for is that the blade is straight, as you have done. You'll have to file it yourself or have someone else do it, which adds to the cost.
Just my opinion. Others will have more to add.
Rick

Roy Lindberry
02-05-2011, 8:17 PM
Well, in my opinion, both the Stanley 45 and the saw are overpriced.
$175.00 would be an OK price for a Stanley 45 in the original box with all the cutters. This one, however, is missing one box of cutters.It originally came with 23 cutters, in two boxes. It seems to be in good shape, but you would have to examine it closely in person.Look for cracks in the body and arms.Print out a parts list of the plane and compare it with what's there.

Are you sure? My 45 has all 23 cutters in one box.

Nevermind...I just saw the picture with the box and clearly it doesn't hold all 23.

Chris Vandiver
02-05-2011, 8:58 PM
The saw appears to be a Disston D7 8ppi crosscut(nice saws you don't see all that often)around 1920's to 1940's vintage. I can't tell from the photo if there is any pitting. If the plate is dead straight that's a very good saw. I think it's worth $30.00, especially if you live in an area where vintage saws aren't plentiful. I would certainly make an offer on that saw.
You might try on offer of $75.00 for the Stanley 45. It's probably worth that and who knows, they may take the offer.

Gary Hodgin
02-05-2011, 9:17 PM
Does the 45 have two sets of rods? There should be a set of long rods (about 8.25") and a set of short rods (about 4.5"). I only see one set in the box. The other may be in the body, but I can't tell from the photo.

Jim Koepke
02-05-2011, 10:12 PM
In my opinion, the Stanley is over priced by a lot.

It looks like it is a type 10. It does not have the micro adjustment on the fence. Find one without a cracked handle. For $175, it should be complete including the slitter, sash cutting blade and match blades.

For more of my opinion (and only my opinion) on what to look for with a Stanley #45 see this post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?116419-Planes-and-a-Few-Things-to-Look-For&p=1176393#post1176393

jtk