PDA

View Full Version : Hammered stippled finish

Richard Kennedy UK
02-05-2011, 4:49 PM
What is the best way to get a hammered or stippled texture on work? Like orange peel

Richard

David E Keller
02-05-2011, 5:11 PM
I've not done much texturing, but I seem to recall seeing a demo or video where the stippled texture was done with some kind of pneumatic device that had a bunch of needle-like doo-dads that rapidly cycled back and forth to produce the texture.

Nate Davey
02-05-2011, 5:14 PM
I've found the best way for me to get an orange peel like finish is to do a shellac finish. Works every time. I also recall the doo-dad that DK mentioned.

Scott Hackler
02-05-2011, 5:50 PM
I've seen a video.. somewhere.. of the device David is talking about. Looks easy to operate and the texture was nice and random.

Other than than (forgive me for meantioning paint) but there is a spray paint that is "Hammered finish" and believe it or not it looks pretty darn cool after it drys. I used it on a remodel / house flip job where the old HVAC registers needed freshing. They looked great afterwards. Almost like they had patina.

Jon Prouty
02-05-2011, 7:10 PM
unfortunately I get orange peel when I am not trying. shellac sprayed from a can does it to me every time. :(

good luck!

JP

Salvatore Buscemi
02-05-2011, 7:16 PM
some kind of pneumatic device that had a bunch of needle-like doo-dads that rapidly cycled back and forth to produce the texture.

Are you talking about a needle scaler?

Gary Conklin
02-05-2011, 7:52 PM
Yes it is a needle scaler, available cheap at HF or just for you machine mart.
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/product/details/cat84-pistol-grip-needle-scaler-hammer

David DeCristoforo
02-05-2011, 8:14 PM
Yes, the "doo dad" is called a needle scaler. But these are intended to strip paint and rust from metal surfaces. No telling how badly they will chew up wood!

Harry Robinette
02-05-2011, 9:53 PM
To use a needle scaler on wood, you have to take the needles out and round them on the grinder.That's what I did to mine and it's not that hard to do.
Harry

David E Keller
02-05-2011, 10:06 PM
I knew it was called a needle scaler, but I didn't think any of the rest of you would. Sheesh!

BILL DONAHUE
02-06-2011, 12:41 AM
Last weekend I attended the Tennessee Woodturning Symposium in Nashville and one of the speakers, Molly Winton, displayed a stipling effect. She used a recipricating carver that I think was a Proxxon. You can so a Google search and see examples of her work. It's really spectacular.

Richard Kennedy UK
02-06-2011, 9:39 AM
Thanks everyone for the help I have seen Needle scalers in shops but always assumed they were way to big and destructive for using on wood. I have found since I started looking about that some people use a reciprocating carver head with a blunt nail in but I still don't get how you create the randomness of the pattern! Will continue hunting

Nate Davey
02-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Not sure how rough your stippling is going to be but I lurk on a pipe makers forum and there are a couple rustication techniques they use that might fit your bill.

Ted Calver
02-06-2011, 12:52 PM
I've use a needle scaler for several years, after being introduced to the technique during a class with Trent Bosch at the local Woodcraft. As Harry said in his post, Trent took all the needles out of the machine and rounded the ends on the grinder. The result does not chew up wood, but rather gives an orange peel effect. They are cheap and worth playing with. Just be sure you grind the tip to suit your desired result.

Wally Dickerman
02-06-2011, 3:48 PM
I use an Arbotech reciprocating carver. I round over a piece of 8d or 16d nail. Works very well. I think that John Jordon used the same tool.

Wally

Thom Sturgill
02-06-2011, 6:49 PM
I just sat through a session with John Jordan at the Florida Symposium, andn Wally is right. He used a Ryobi reciprocating carver (no longer made) with a rounded over nail instead of a cutting tool. An Arbortech or Automach would surely work as well, but he also said something about removing the spring so that you did not have topress hard on the carver to get it started.

Marvin Hasenak
02-07-2011, 1:34 AM
Here is how it used to be done on gunstocks. http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/0107/index.html