PDA

View Full Version : delta hybrid or grizzley 0715p

shane lyall
02-05-2011, 2:57 PM
im a longtime woodworker an ready to upgrade to a better saw. ive been useing a benchtop for years so either would be a major jump. with a uni out of my price range (<1k) im looking at hybrids for mainly the dc over a contractor saw. anyone with hands on advive mind helping me out? i can look at the delta but not the griz in person. if you have a good used saw for sale w\in a couple hundred miles send me a pm also. thanks in advance.

craig greene
02-05-2011, 4:54 PM
I keep going back to the Grizzly myself. I'm in the same boat, with the exception of not being a long time woodworker, and I'm looking to upgrade from a contractors style saw as well. Go to lumberjocks and look at the user reviews there. It looks like the 0715P is going to be a stable for a lot of woodworkers. For what I do this is more than enough saw. I don't have 220 in the basement where I have my shop so that will save money as well.

George Bregar
02-05-2011, 6:05 PM
You can buy a quality used 3HP Unisaw for about the same money

scott spencer
02-05-2011, 11:26 PM
From a design perspective, the Grizzly has the upper hand IMHO. The Delta hybrids have table mounted trunnions and the older style connecting rods as an arbor carriage. That may not pose an issue, but it's not as elegant of a design as the table mounted trunnions with a one piece cast blade shroud/arbor carriage that the Griz uses. The Griz also has a riving knife vs a traditional splitter on the Delta. Both have cast iron wings, full enclosures, and good fences.

shane lyall
02-06-2011, 12:17 AM
You can buy a quality used 3HP Unisaw for about the same money

If I could only find one. I'd love to get an older uni but CL and local paper/trading post is a blank. I find tons of contractor saws for under $200 but that's about what I have now. I'm an electrician by trade so running another 220/240 circit is a moot point. I'm a die hard Delta/Porter-Cable fan and have been for many years but that Griz calls to me every time I open the book! Wonder if I could just paint it gray? There, Great new Grizzly saw in an old familar color! problem solved! LOL!

Curt Harms
02-06-2011, 9:15 AM
I think Scott Spencer makes a good point about fundamental differences in design. I would prefer the cabinet mounted trunnions over table mounted. The classic cabinet saw mounting style does make for easy tuning and I would much prefer the riving knife to the old style splitter. Human nature being what it is, the tendency for most is to remove the splitter for a cut that can't be made with the splitter in place then the splitter isn't replaced. Riving knives can be left in place for most cuts including non-through.

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 9:37 AM
I'd love to get an older uni but CL and local paper/trading post is a blank. I find tons of contractor saws for under $200 but that's about what I have now. LOL!

HMMM.

Dunno where you are at in Virginia but I am not convinced you are looking, hard anyway.

There is a Uni for $800 in Mt Crawford
What is probably a Uni for 1K in Hampton
A PM66 (heah you could have better than Delta :) ) for 1K in Craig County
What is definitely a Uni in Hampton Roads (may be the same as above but different text and pic here)

If you honestly want a used cabinet saw trust me they are there, one just has to be looking. Now if you are just giving lip service to it and really want shiny new paint (which is fine too) then forget what I said. :)

PS those took me less than 5 minutes to find, depending on where you are at there could be more just across the border(s) you are near.

hank dekeyser
02-06-2011, 10:00 AM
I agree, Cabinet saws are usually pretty simple to locate used. IF you really want a NEW saw- I cant recommend one - everything I have is at least 20 years old. I say buy used, rebuild / tune-up as needed, and enjoy some good old arn. Old stuff has more character and likely better built. IMHO a "hybrid" saw is pretty much a lazy way to make a tool cheap. BUy a nice old uni-saw and be done.

sidenote - my current uni-saw came from a high school that was updating it's woodshop. I'm guessing it to be from the mid 50's - Stapped to a pallet in the back of the truck, it managed to jump out going around a corner and skidded down the road on its top. We muscelled it back into the truck, cleaned it up and went through it. works like a million bucks. Try that with a "hybrid"

George Bregar
02-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I agree, Cabinet saws are usually pretty simple to locate used. IF you really want a NEW saw- I cant recommend one - everything I have is at least 20 years old. I say buy used, rebuild / tune-up as needed, and enjoy some good old arn. Old stuff has more character and likely better built. IMHO a "hybrid" saw is pretty much a lazy way to make a tool cheap. BUy a nice old uni-saw and be done. You don't even have to get old...everything in my shop is used...Unisaw, DJ-20, 14" Delta BS, 17" Jet DP, DW735 Planer...none of them require a rebuilt, all were purchased for less that 50% of cost for current new. My Unisaw is my second...I ended up flipping the first to my friend. That one was maybe 20 years old...awesome saw. Required no rebuild...just set up.

Paul McGaha
02-06-2011, 10:45 AM
I would suggest a used cabinet saw. More mass and power than either of the hybrids you are thinking of. Also possibly less of a price.

Maybe I'm lucky as I live in a suburb of Washington, DC (Lucky in some aspects anyway) but in our local craigslist we have used cabinet saws for sale all the time. Powermatics, Deltas, and Jets just to name a few. Can get a creampuff for about $1K.

I acknowledge though that smaller cities probably have less available on craigslist.

PHM

shane lyall
02-06-2011, 11:05 AM
HMMM.

Dunno where you are at in Virginia but I am not convinced you are looking, hard anyway.

There is a Uni for $800 in Mt Crawford
What is probably a Uni for 1K in Hampton I wish those places were within a few hours of me. I'm on the other end of the state but I did exspand to about 3 1/2 hours from me and found a few. I sent out some emails and may be on a road trip soon. Thanks for the help folks. I sure am going to like this site.

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
I wish those places were within a few hours of me. I'm on the other end of the state but I did exspand to about 3 1/2 hours from me and found a few. I sent out some emails and may be on a road trip soon. Thanks for the help folks. I sure am going to like this site.

I still don't know where you are, a general idea may help people find something for you. Unless you are subbing the PM 66 (which I don't think you should) I covered Harrisonburg, Roanoke and Va Beach areas so I guess you are outside DC?

George Bregar
02-06-2011, 11:34 AM
Maybe I'm lucky as I live in a suburb of Washington, DC (Lucky in some aspects anyway) but in our local craigslist we have used cabinet saws for sale all the time. Powermatics, Deltas, and Jets just to name a few. Can get a creampuff for about $1K.

I acknowledge though that smaller cities probably have less available on craigslist.

PHM While true that is often where you can find the best deals because there is less of a buyers market there too. I mean a guy selling off a Uni may be the only woodworker in Podunkville. I know I scored my Unisaw, Delta 14" BS, and my !7" Jet DP in small towns and got great deals. I missed by 5 minutes a like new Performax 2244 for $300 in a small town in IA...was willing to drive 4 hours to get it.

Paul McGaha
02-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Something I'd buy:

http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/2188247313.html (http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/2188247313.html)
PHM

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Maybe I'm lucky as I live in a suburb of Washington, DC (Lucky in some aspects anyway) but in our local craigslist we have used cabinet saws for sale all the time.

PHM

But it may take you 3 days just to get to the other side of the beltway to get it... :) 495 is always like Russian Roulette, which way to I go.

Paul McGaha
02-06-2011, 11:47 AM
George,

Seems like you've made good purcahsed from small towns. Good for you. I've made a couple of used tool purchases but both from Creekers and had to drive about 500 miles (each way) to pick up. I'm happy with my purchases and its good to make a road trip once in a while. It's fun. One of them was in Kentucky very near Cincinnitti, Ohio and I had never been to that part of the country. All that said though I need to find some creekers with stuff for sale that live closer to me.

I see you live in Milwaukee, Go Packers!!

PHM

shane lyall
02-06-2011, 11:49 AM
I'm in the southwest tip of Virginia near the KY state line. I've started looking up near Roanoke and seen a few. That's the emails I sent actually. It at least a 4 hour drive one way but if I find what I want it's worth it.

George Bregar
02-06-2011, 11:53 AM
I see you live in Milwaukee, Go Packers!!

PHM I grew up and lived in Chicago until I was 40 so I am a Bears fan. Well, today a Steelers fan. :D

Paul McGaha
02-06-2011, 12:15 PM
I grew up and lived near New Orleans until I was 30 so I'm a Saints fan. Completely understand you being a Bears fan.

I'm for the Packers today. I like the team. Like a lot of the players especially Aaron Rodgers. He seems like a good guy and a great qb.

PHM

Van Huskey
02-06-2011, 12:43 PM
I'm in the southwest tip of Virginia near the KY state line. I've started looking up near Roanoke and seen a few. That's the emails I sent actually. It at least a 4 hour drive one way but if I find what I want it's worth it.

You are probably closer to Lexington then. I didn't realize anything could be far enough southwest to be 4 hours from Roanoke and still in VA!

Two weekends last month I drove 700 miles round trip to pick up machines. Then again I don't think anything about driving 500+ miles in a day.