PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hot glue?

Dan Forman
02-05-2011, 12:35 PM
Is there a difference between hot glues? What type are y'all using for glue blocks and such?

Dan

Jon McElwain
02-05-2011, 1:25 PM
I have got some cheep stanley brand glue sticks that I use. The label says "Glueshot" and "super strength." I think I got the box of 30 for $2 on clearance. I have turned blanks up to 12" dia glued to a waste block with the stuff. The only time I had a problem was when I applied glue to cold wood. I wasn't paying attention and the glue cooled before I had a good bond between the blank and the waste block. The blank came off during the first couple of cuts I attempted. Since then I have been careful to warm both the blank and the waste block with a heat gut prior to gluing. During my first attempt at this I heated too much and the bond was too strong - had a tough time getting the two pieces apart and I ended up parting off the glue joint. I know that does not answer your first question about differences in glue types. I will be interested to hear those responses as well.

May I inject a second question on your thread and inquire about glue guns people are using?

Art Kelly
02-05-2011, 7:23 PM
I use the higher-temperature formula sticks in an Arrow Power Shot Thermogrip cordless gun. Needs to preheat for about five minutes. My next batch of sticks will be the ones that are 7 or 8 inches long. The shorter ones are a PITA sometimes.

I use the tailstock to press the piece against the waste block that is already mounted on the spindle. Get everything lined up, squirt the glue on the waste block while turning the spindle by hand and crank in the tailstock tight.

My little soapbox speech: The stuff causes terrible burns if you drop a wad of it on your skin. It sticks and it just keeps burning into the flesh. My neighbor did this once and it took about a year to heal. I was there. It was ugly. Wear glubs.

John E Wallace
02-06-2011, 12:26 AM
I use high temperature sticks too, have used Uline and Bostich 12" glue sticks. Ditto on leather gloves. I found a 110V industrial glue gun that heats up to 400 degrees. The glue stays liquid longer which IMHO makes a stronger bond especially with end grain. The longer sticks mean less fumbling when I get everything lined up.

Norm Zax
02-06-2011, 7:05 AM
There are three main categories of "differences"
1. Type - hot melt glue can be clear (general use), yellow (for wood) and a few more types. Check out this site for example to see: http://www.jdindustrialsupply.com/hitehotmead.html
2. Quality - the part you need is PVA and the rest is a plasticizer. Cheaper versions have more % of the plasticizer and in professional guns (read higher temps) they will burn. If you want better glue sticks, buy from a known manufacturer (such as 3M or...)
3. Temp - at lower temps, the glue bonds with less strength. A 40W gun will offer this effect. At higher W, say 60 or more, the glue becomes more liquid and bonding is stronger.

Dan Forman
02-06-2011, 1:25 PM
Thanks, now I know what to look for.

Dan