PDA

View Full Version : dying hard mape

paul cottingham
02-05-2011, 12:27 PM
I'm wondering if I missed something here. I have some very blond eastern maple that I am going to finish with tried and true danish oil and shellac. I am using aniline water based dye. The problem is that my test pieces the dye is quite blotchy. Of course, when just using the danish oil and shellac I get no blotching.

Any help would be appreciated.

Bob Wingard
02-05-2011, 3:59 PM
Sounds as though you are a prime candidate for some of Charles Neil's BLOTCH CONTROL. It will completely eliminate blotching, and it works best with dyes.

(NO connection with Charles Neil other than being a completely satisfied customer)

paul cottingham
02-05-2011, 7:14 PM
So am I doing something dumb? Is hard maple hard to dye?

Bob Wingard
02-05-2011, 7:29 PM
Not at all ... maple looks very nice with dye as a colorant ... you just need to use some form of blotch control/pre-stain conditioner. I've tried several, and have settled on the one from Charles Neil. The choice is yours, but you will need to address the issue of blotching. Gel stains that don't penetrate are another avenue you might travel.

Steve Schoene
02-06-2011, 5:53 AM
How did you apply the dye? If you tried to wipe on an even coat you accentuated the problem inadvertantly. Water based dye should be flooded on--a sponge is the best application tool. Then go over it while still wet with your wrung out sponge to remove puddles and excess.

paul cottingham
02-06-2011, 9:36 AM
Well, that may be it...I wiped it on with a cloth. I will try flooding this AM. Thanks!