PDA

View Full Version : Delta 46-460 - chuck selection

Michael Canavan
02-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Hello! I'm a newbie to this wonderful forum. My only turning experience so far has consisted of turning cork grips for fishing rods for many years using a drill-powered Grizzly Hobby lathe. My third drill just bit the dust so I have been searching for a more powerful, quality lathe which could also handle bigger projects. After reviewing posts here for several months, I ordered a Delta 46-460. Being new to this, my question is on what chuck to buy - I turn cork grips on a 1/4" round mandrel, but I also plan on turning square blocks for reel seats, acrylics, and hope to graduate to bowls, etc. down the line also. Do I need both 3 and/or 4-jaw chucks to handle round and square materials? G3 reversible chuck? 3-jaw mini chuck for the round mandrel/cork turning? Please excuse my "newbieness", I'm also ordering some educational dvd's soon so I don't pester everyone too much. Many thanks again - very appreciated, Mike

Jake Helmboldt
02-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Mike, 3-jaw chucks are largely for metal lathes. Stick with the 4-jaw woodworking chucks.

I have a Oneway Talon that would be a good choice for you. I will say I don't care for their profiled jaws, however some people love them. Just personal preference. The Nova chucks are very popular. Others have had very good results with the Grizzly Vicmarc knock-off, and at about $100 it is one of the cheaper options. And the real Vicmarc jaws (which come a wide variety) will fit it.

John Keeton
02-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Michael, welcome to the creek!!!! Jake's suggestions are good - lot of folks like the Grizzly clone. I have the Nova G3 (three of them) and one of the Nova midi chucks that I use only with soft jaws. There seems to be more opportunities for sales on the Nova chucks and jaws, and that was one of the reasons I bought Novas - very pleased with them.

Michael Canavan
02-05-2011, 1:59 PM
Thanks Jake and John, I sincerely appreciate your help! I'll take a look at the Vicmarc's and also some at Penn St Industries. This is like a whole new world, but should improve with some education! Thanks again, Mike

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2011, 2:21 PM
Michael - Welcome to the Creek!

Seeing as how you are new to turning - I suggest getting with your local turning club. You don't list a location but clubs are located all over the country. The good folks there will be able to give you some pointers on turning and save you lots of time and frustration!

Jim Colombo
02-05-2011, 3:05 PM
Michael;
I also turn reel seats and handles (mostly for fly rods but some casting and spinning rods). I use the OneWay Talon chuck with the spigot jaws for these small diameter turnings and they work just fine. When you're ready to start on bowls get the #2 jaws and then when you're ready to start coring get the #3 jaws.
Best of luck.

Michael Canavan
02-06-2011, 9:44 AM
Thanks Steve, I have searched for a local club but the nearest found so far is a couple of hours away. (I'm in northeastern PA) I'll keep looking though. I've always been very safety-conscious, so turning will definitely be a careful introduction. Looking forward to it!

Jim - thanks for your help, I'll check out the OneWay!

Appreciated, Mike

Michael James
02-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Welcome from New Mexico! 1 thought to throw in is to think long term about your lathe requirements. Jaws tend to be proprietary and will not work between all makes, so look at the selections and prices and go from there. You will definitely want at least a second chuck at some point, and economically speaking you dont want to have to pay for separate pieces for different brands. I have the 46-460 and bought it after months here watcing and getting opinions of owners. You're getting a good machine for what you want and more.
Michael

Justin Stephen
02-06-2011, 3:45 PM
I know Oneway recommends the Talon for lathes with a sub 16" swing, but is there really any good reason why you couldn't use a Stronghold on a 46-460?