PDA

View Full Version : Gluing issues with Bloodwood

Neil Bosdet
02-05-2011, 10:55 AM
I have 2 different projects made with Bloodwood (1 with maple and bloodwood). Each made a few years apart and each using different glue. 1 glued with polyurethane (gorilla type glue) and the other with standard yellow wood glue. Both have issues with releasing at the joints. I'm fairly certain this is a Bloodwood specific issue. Can any of you shed some light on my problems and how I might prevent this from happening again?

Kent Chasson
02-05-2011, 11:05 AM
I've never had a problem with bloodwood but it's always a good idea to have a freshly surfaced joint with any oily wood. How long was it between joint prep and gluing?

There are epoxies made specifically for oily woods but I don't think you should have to go to that much trouble.

Gary Herrmann
02-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I've made a few items from bloodwood and have also not had any problems. Kent raises a good point. What kind of joints? Glued edge joints? Were they true? Could you have used too much clamping pressure and created glue starved joints?

Steve knight
02-05-2011, 12:15 PM
bloodwood is not oily. but it is pretty hard and it may not move the same. it may also may not have been fully dry or acclimated. Wood is wood and it is somewhat unpredictable.

Tony Joyce
02-05-2011, 1:23 PM
Just out of curiosity, what size of a joint was it? I've never had a problem with maple and bloodwood, but it has always been smaller joints. (2" X 6" or less) I've used both titebond and polyurethane for glue-ups. I have detected movement at the joint, but no failure yet!

Neil Bosdet
02-05-2011, 2:49 PM
The joints are about 1.2" x 15". The wood is cut in 3/4" strips. Wood is fairly dry at about 8% on the moisture meter. Freshly cut and glued within about an hour. I'm wondering if I over clamped and starved the joints. Hmmmm, don't know but I can't say it isn't possible.

Tony Joyce
02-05-2011, 3:30 PM
Not that large of an area, is it? Moisture content sounds good. As Steve said Bloodwood is hard, one of the hardest I've ever resawed. I usually clamp pretty tight, probably too tight by some peoples standards. But to my knowledge I've never had a joint fail, because I over clamped it. I've not glued a lot of exotics, but I've been gluing domestics for about all my adult life. Sometimes these things are a mystery. Might not be any one thing, but a combination of several little things, that caused this.

Ben Abate
02-05-2011, 7:02 PM
Neil,

I don't think anyone mentioned this but when using exotics it's best prior to gluing to wipe all parts with denatured alcohol or lacquer thinner. It works every time for me. I've found out the hard way years ago and now it's second nature. It gives you about as long as you need to put the joint together. There's no need to hurry but be a bit timely about your glue up. This procedure also works for finishing exotics (oily woods). Wipe them down with alcohol or lacquer thinner and your finish will be fine. Also found out the hard way on that too.

hope this helps
Ben