PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum Chucking System

Jim Heikes
02-05-2011, 10:05 AM
I'm thinking seriously about adding a vacuum chucking system to my Mustard Monster. My basic question.........is the vacuum system primarily for surface finishing and "light" finish turning OR can you actually use it for scraping, bowl gouge work, etc.?:confused:

bob svoboda
02-05-2011, 10:18 AM
Others will certainly weigh in on this. I basically use mine to clean up and finish the bottom of forms using light cuts with very sharp tools.

Dale Bright
02-05-2011, 10:25 AM
I'm thinking seriously about adding a vacuum chucking system to my Mustard Monster. My basic question.........is the vacuum system primarily for surface finishing and "light" finish turning OR can you actually use it for scraping, bowl gouge work, etc.?:confused:

Jim,

I have used my vacuum chuck for some pretty heavy cuts, both with scrapers and gouges but only for finishing the bottoms of bowls and such. If you get a very good vacuum, like 20 hg or better, you can make some heavier cuts than on a more porous piece of wood that might only get to 15 hg of vacuum. I use the tailstock, when vacuum chucking, until I have to get it out of the way (insurance).

Dale

John Keeton
02-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Jim, I have not had my vacuum system very long, and my use is similar to Bob's. However, there are a lot of variables that go into this mix. The efficiency of your unit, your sea level, the area on which you are exerting force by the vacuum, the porosity of the wood, the "seal" of the wood against the chuck, the force vector of the cut - all of these effect the holding power of the setup. Generally, I think the use would be limited to light cuts with sharp tools. That said, I was able to finish the bottom side of a maple platter with a 3" chuck. With a 6" chuck, a good seal, good wood, and 24" HG, I would think one could get by with a little heavier cut - particularly if the cuts were near the center, and directing toward the center. A pull cut coming out of a bowl would put pressure on the outside edge of the piece, and would likely cause it to lose seal with the chuck.

Others would have a lot more experience and perhaps can offer some input.

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Jim - I've had my system for awhile now and use it only for finishing. I make it a habit to use the tailstock until such time as it gets in the way - then will remove for final cuts and sanding.

When using your vac system - I think it has more to do with safety than capability. Could you use your vac and take heavy cuts - probably. Is it worth the risk? Not to me!

Fred Perreault
02-05-2011, 9:20 PM
I have had my vac system for more than a year, and though I use it mainly for finishing irregular items and other turned pieces, I have used it on occasion for more aggressive cuts. I have to say that the only times the turning came off the vac chuck was when trying to be more aggressive. One has to learn what his own vacuum system/chucks can handle for resistance, and use it accordingly. I will generally not expect the vac system to perform a lot of stock removal.... but I would not want to have to be without it.

Roger Chandler
02-05-2011, 9:25 PM
+1 to what Steve and John said............finishing cuts when reversing the bowl or platter, and light cutting pressure is the order of the day most of the time!

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2011, 9:38 PM
Ditto what John and Steve said. I use light cuts and sharp tools for the final cuts. Use it for finishing the bottom.

Sid Matheny
02-06-2011, 11:28 PM
I'm another that just uses mine to finish the bottom. I am using the shop vac style system and have not had any problems with it.

Sid

Thom Sturgill
02-07-2011, 7:48 AM
+1 to finishing. I always seal the inside first in order to help with the vacuum. I have a small pump and while it will hold 20, it is slow getting there and if there is too much leakage, will not hold.

Barbara Gill
02-07-2011, 3:30 PM
Tom, do you have a brother or cousin by the name of George Sturgill who lives in VA?