PDA

View Full Version : Moving a laser

Kevin Baker
02-05-2011, 8:43 AM
I may need to move my laser (a 5 hour drive)... any precautions I need to take? I'm sure using tape to secure the x and y movement and was planning on puttting laser on a foam "bed" to reduce any vehicle shock.. anything else?? It's a ULS Versa3.50

Thanks,
kevin

Scott Shepherd
02-05-2011, 10:01 AM
You should be okay. Only thing I'd suggest is an option is to take the laser tube out. It'll make the laser a lot lighter, and then you can pack the tube in some foam as well.

I assume you're taking it by car or truck, not shipping it. If so, then you should be fine.

Kevin Baker
02-05-2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the help Scott...yes by truck. I didn't think about removing the tube.. good ideal..

Thanks again,
Kevin

Mike Mackenzie
02-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Kevin,

The original shipping has a piece of packing foam that wedges in between the front of the case up to the arm assembly up against the lense carriage.

This holds everything in place using tape can be messy.

And yes remove the tube and pack it separately this will safe guard the tube from bouncing around on the system.

Dan Hintz
02-05-2011, 8:34 PM
And if you must use tape, use several wraps of painter's tape... it comes off without residue (unlike some packing tapes).

Robert Walters
02-06-2011, 1:38 PM
Removing and packing the lens separately isn't a bad thing either.

Larry Bratton
02-06-2011, 2:17 PM
Heck, I guess I am lucky. I moved mine 500 miles in the back of a truck with everything intact..however, I did have the original box and packing it came in from the factory. Tube was installed when I got it originally and lenses were in place. Be prepared to do alignment on it though when you get it where it's going to stay. Good luck!

Paul Grothouse
02-06-2011, 4:13 PM
When I moved mine Universal told me to remove the tubes, and use tape to assure that the Y an X axes are not able to move.