PDA

View Full Version : Turners Forum Wins !!!

Keith Outten
02-05-2011, 8:24 AM
I am currently reviewing Volume 2 of the SawMill Creek Archives DVD. The number of pictures and other file attachments uploaded over the last 15 months here are as follows:

Turners Forum 14,717
General Woodworking 8,199
Neanderthal Forum 4,507
Engravers Forum 3,162
CNC Forum 1,239
Design Forum 703
Off Topic Forum 771
Project Finishing Forum 707
Sign Design Forum 103
Woodcarvers Forum 335
Woodworking Projects Forum 5,309
Workshops Forum 2,304

To all of you Turners the pictures of your projects are an amazing collection of talent and innovation. WOW!

Harvey M. Taylor
02-05-2011, 8:50 AM
Thanks to all the turners for a good 'turnout'. Max

John Keeton
02-05-2011, 9:32 AM
Keith, I wouldn't think there would be any surprises here - after all, everyone knows turners are a superior lot!!!:D:cool:

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2011, 9:59 AM
Turners forum is looking good. Great bunch posting some awesome pieces.

Lee Koepke
02-05-2011, 10:03 AM
If it wasnt for most of those pictures, I would have no idea what I could be capable of doing. I need a bit of prodding in the creative department, my logical side keeps the creative side locked up, seeing these amazing talents gives me the drive to continue!

Dan Hintz
02-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Keith, I wouldn't think there would be any surprises here - after all, everyone knows turners are a superior lot!!!:D:cool:
I think my stomach is doing a little turning right now... ;)

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2011, 10:11 AM
Thanks for sharing the numbers Keith! Looks like the Creek is flowing strong!

Keith Outten
02-05-2011, 10:21 AM
John,

I used the terms talented and innovative and I will definitely stand by my assessment.
I intend to send you a DVD and I want you to view every one of the over 42,000 pictures. It will take awhile but its Disneyland for Woodworkers.

I think that those who come here and only visit one or two forums are missing the boat if they really enjoy woodworking. Every group has been sharing pictures that are pure eye candy. For the record its not the large number of pictures alone, the Turners have shared some amazing craftsmanship that would be considered award winning any day of the week.

I turn pens every now and then so I'm not much of a " Wood Turner", but I can recognize beautiful work when I see it and I can appreciate how difficult some of the turning projects are to produce. In a nutshell I really enjoyed looking at the pictures, it was entertainment at its very best !!!

Thanks to all of you guys and gals for sharing the fruits of your labor with us here at The Creek. I can't wait until next year to see the next group of projects.

James Combs
02-05-2011, 11:20 AM
If it wasnt for most of those pictures, I would have no idea what I could be capable of doing. I need a bit of prodding in the creative department, my logical side keeps the creative side locked up, seeing these amazing talents gives me the drive to continue!

Couldn't have said it better about me too. Thanks Lee for giving me the words.

Dennis Peacock
02-05-2011, 12:09 PM
This is just so awesome.!!!! One of these days, I will be back to spending time here AND back at the lathe. It's just that right now I have family and family medical that requires my devoted attention as well as the day job requiring more hours than I care to mention.

Keep up the good work.!!

Tim Thiebaut
02-05-2011, 12:37 PM

I absolutly agree 100%...when I see some of the things that the folks here turn, I want to turn things like that as well, things that I never would have even thought of if not for the posts here...I have spent many many hours this week trying to replicate some of the best finials I could find posted on this site...without this resource I would not be as far along as I am without a doubt, of course along with that is the input in the form of help and suggestions from everyone here as well, I would be lost if not for that...Tim

Jon McElwain
02-05-2011, 1:28 PM
everyone knows turners are a superior lot!!!:D:cool:

While this is certainly quite true, I will temper the sentiment with the fact that we are also the "instant gratification" lot. After all, what other woodworking project goes from hunk of wood to finished product (beautiful finished product) in one evening?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-05-2011, 2:01 PM
It really doesn't suprise me.

As Jon stated, turning is the closest thing to instant gratification in the woodworking world.

I think the generous and accepting attitude of the turners has a lot to do with it also. From beginners to true artists here at the Creek....you get friendly comments and critiques if you request them. This attitude encourages everybody of all skill levels to contribute both for encouragement and friendly constructive criticisms.

Wally Dickerman
02-05-2011, 2:31 PM
Wow!! Some awesome numbers.....Geez, I had no idea that I was posting to such a large audience. Now I'm afraid to post again...

Wally

Steve Schlumpf
02-05-2011, 2:38 PM
Wally - you crack me up!

David E Keller
02-05-2011, 5:14 PM
Wow!! Some awesome numbers.....Geez, I had no idea that I was posting to such a large audience. Now I'm afraid to post again...

Wally

I'm sure that with practice and time, you can get your turnings to a point where you're comfortable posting them.:D:D:D

Fred Perreault
02-05-2011, 9:07 PM
I have vented my feelings before, and it seems appropriate to utter them again..... I can't imagine how much slower my turning progress might have been if I hadn't stumbled upon Sawmill Creek, and the seemingly infinite amount of help, knowledge, inspiration and experience from the members. They helped me with my turning, setting up my shop, tuning my saws, sharpening my tools.... and on and on. Short of sitting and listening to a gathering of old-timer woodworkers, this site exceeds any expectations of printed books or DVD videos. Of course, I also think that the Turners' Forum is the benchmark, and the price has been just about right.

Keith Outten
02-05-2011, 9:42 PM
Wally,

We average over 40,000 people per day who visit The Creek.
Thats a big audience in anyones book....the world is watching :)

Michael James
02-06-2011, 11:43 AM
I'm a visual learner (90% are), and without the photos and descriptions and tutorials, it would be like describing an elephant to a blind man for me to understand what the heck was going on. Pretty cool. Ellsworth started "blind turning" 30+yrs ago, great strides in finishing options, and SMC was up and running when I went looking for that Jeff N. toolmaker fellow. Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! It's all here. thx

Baxter Smith
02-06-2011, 2:34 PM
Just proves they are the most afflicted!:)