PDA

View Full Version : Two new backsaws

jerry nazard
02-04-2011, 11:31 PM
Here are two 6 x 16" backsaws that I recently completed. Yucatan rosewood handles w/ shellac, TruOil, and wax finish. Sawplates and nuts from Mike Wenzloff. This is my first attempt at photographing tools >> I may need to practice a bit at it......

-Jerry

David Weaver
02-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Very nice tidy and cleanly executed saws. 6x16 ....that's some serious plateage!!

john brenton
02-05-2011, 12:10 AM
Nice handles...love the palm bump, I bet it just melts into your hand. Those plates are just way too big...I mean....YEAH! I bet when you pick them up you feel like the Dirty Harry of wood work. Ill spare you the line, you know which one.

Jon Toebbe
02-05-2011, 9:03 AM
I bet when you pick them up you feel like the Dirty Harry of wood work.
Or Crocodile Dundee...

"That's not a saw. Now, this here. This is a saw."

Garth Keel
02-05-2011, 9:39 AM
Beautiful work. And, your pics are just fine.

jerry nazard
02-05-2011, 10:05 AM
Nice handles...love the palm bump, I bet it just melts into your hand. Those plates are just way too big...I mean....YEAH! I bet when you pick them up you feel like the Dirty Harry of wood work. Ill spare you the line, you know which one.

Funny you should mention that, my usual choice for concealed carry is a .44..... Yes, the saws are big, but the x-cut is just great in a miter box, and its twin is around for who knows what. They were fun to make... I guess I just felt lucky.......

Best!

-Jerry

Casey Gooding
02-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Very nice work. They make my LN 14" tenon saws look quite fragile in comparison.

Gary Herrmann
02-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Very nice work on those handles.

Have you called any sticks of wood punk yet?

george wilson
02-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Very nice handles,Jerry. I can only suggest making the triangular points about 1/2 as high. Personally,I prefer to make the points like 1/2 of an ellipse,though they have been made either way by many notable makers. Anyway,nice work,with many good aspects to them.

Tim Null
02-05-2011, 12:34 PM
Very nice. I have a Large tenon kit coming from Mike as well. Rip, for the tenons on my bench build. But a nice large backsaw will come in handy. I like the handles, they are just a bit different but in the same style as classic handles. Nice take on those designs without being too out of the box, at least for my taste.

Dan Sheehan
02-05-2011, 5:19 PM
Nice work. I've been thinking about something similar, sans Yucatan roesewood, although it certainly is beautiful. Does Wenzloff also supply the handle pattern? Any tips or warnings for those wanting to produce something like this project? Thanks.

jerry nazard
02-05-2011, 5:41 PM
Nice work. I've been thinking about something similar, sans Yucatan roesewood, although it certainly is beautiful. Does Wenzloff also supply the handle pattern? Any tips or warnings for those wanting to produce something like this project? Thanks.

Dan,

I would certainly not use Yucatan Rosewood again for a saw handle. It wants to shred and tear depending on grain direction and was less than fun to deal with. However, it is pretty. The handle pattern was based on Joel's sash saw at Tools for Working Wood. You can download the pattern off his site. The brass spine strips were from my local hardware store. I used 6-32 threaded brass rod to sandwich the spine to the blade. My tips and warnings would be to build a few smaller saws first, use a dry hardwood for the handle that you are already comfortable working with, and to work s-l-o-w-l-y and enjoy the process. The sawplates I purchased from Mike Wenzloff were already punched so all that I had to do was set and sharpen. All in all, a very rewarding project.

Best!

-Jerry

Mike Holbrook
02-06-2011, 1:22 AM
Very nice work Jerry. I may have to give it a go. I am just about to jump into the world of saws a little more seriously.

Johnny Kleso
02-06-2011, 3:33 AM
Very nice horse dovetail saws :)

Love the wood..

Zach England
02-06-2011, 11:24 AM
Is that a "tenon" saw? Seems kind of large to cut any kind of real-world tenon.

On an unrelated note, what is the difference between a tenon saw and a sash saw?

jerry nazard
02-06-2011, 2:27 PM
Hello Zach,

The primary use for the x-cut saw is in a mitre box. The rip saw was made to keep the x-cut saw company... well really not... the rip may eventually get the depth cut down a bit. Too soon to tell. At the moment, I'm enjoying practicing with the rip on some 5/4 scrap as the saw forces you to use good technique to keep it on line. Switching to a 4 x 12" after a few min with the larger saw is really neat: the amount of control that I feel with the smaller saw is amazing.

As to correct saw nomenclature, your guess is as good as mine. For the time being, I'm going to call these two critters here "large backsaws". I guess if I lived in Texas, they would be "medium backsaws".....

Best!

-Jerry