PDA

View Full Version : Bad bearings on Jet 1014?

David Brimm
02-04-2011, 11:24 PM
How do I tell if the bearings are bad on my Jet 1014? It squeaks a lot but seems to run smooth with no play in it.

Dennis Ford
02-05-2011, 8:55 AM
The squeaking could be from the belt slipping, motor bearings or spindle bearings. It could also be from something loose that is rubbing where it is not supposed to. Usually the first sign of bearing trouble is increased temperature, next comes noises; the last thing you notice is sloppy movement. If you manage to identify bearings as the source of the squeak it would be good to change the bearings out before they do some damage to the housing.

David Brimm
02-05-2011, 1:43 PM
Thanks Dennis, I was afraid the answer would be something like that. I'll start trying to isolate the sound some a bit more and see about getting some bearings on order.

Jim Burr
02-05-2011, 4:17 PM
I had a consistant rattle in the headstock of my 1014 with a little in and out play after 4 years of hard turning. Our local turning shop did a bearing swap for $60. I thought it was worth it. Given the low HP of the motor, an little belt sqeak can occur too with agressive cuts.

Joe Kaufman
02-05-2011, 4:54 PM
Apply a small drop of oil to the exterior surface of the bearing seal where it contcts the bearing race. Run the lathe a little and wipe off excess oil. Squeak may go away.

Joe