PDA

View Full Version : Maple Sierras

Scott Lux
02-04-2011, 8:13 PM
A retired shop teacher asked me to turn two pens for him. He is the greatest turner (and general woodworker) I've ever met. He told me he no longer has the depth perception to safely turn, and his eyes don't like detail work any more. So he asked me to turn two pens for friends of his from church.

The maple is from the original steeple of his church. It fell down several years ago and he saved a lot of the timber.

He supplied the wood, kits, bushings, drill bit, and mandrel (all new). He told me to keep the bushings, mandrel and drill bit. Then he had the audacity to tell me he wants to pay me for doing this.

There is no way he's paying me for this. He has honored me beyond words even asking me to do this.

I only hope they're up to his standards.

John Keeton
02-04-2011, 8:19 PM
Scott, lot of history and heritage in those pens!! Nice work, and an even nicer gesture.

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2011, 9:24 PM
That is a great story Scott and really nice pens. Great gesture.

David E Keller
02-04-2011, 9:42 PM
They look good, Scott. I especially like the black titanium/gold kit with that wood.

dan carter
02-04-2011, 10:17 PM
Am sure he will appreciate them. Very nice pens.

Doug W Swanson
02-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Nice story. Great pens, too!

Bill Hensley
02-05-2011, 5:45 AM
Great pens and a good example of 'pay it forward'. Very nice all around.

Matt Ranum
02-05-2011, 9:14 AM
Very nicely done, he'll be pleased I'm sure. And I have to agree with David, the Black and gold TI really fits that wood.

bob svoboda
02-05-2011, 10:14 AM
Yeah, I think these would be up to any standards. Very nice and a great story to boot. Thanks for sharing.

Scott Lux
02-05-2011, 10:24 AM
There's more to the church story, but I didn't want to create a wall of text. The church steeple stood for around 100 years. After it came down in a storm, Lowell saved a lot of the beams. Just the oak and maple though, due to space limitations.

He cut a lot of it to make simple bookends. He made an iron and branded the pieces then glued them to aluminum bases. Other pieces he branded, and drilled for pen holders. He made several bowls too. All of these were sold to raise money for the new bell tower.

I've added a pic of one of the blocks. It reads, "Strongsville UCC Bell Tower 1853 - 1994"