PDA

View Full Version : Router Table Extension Wing

Mark Eisen
02-04-2011, 7:52 PM
Which side is it better to install one of these on the left or the right between the fence rails.

http://www.carbatec.com.au/router-table-extension-wing-fence_c19805

glenn bradley
02-04-2011, 8:24 PM
Well this oughta be good. You don't know what you're asking but as long as I get to go first, I'll be diplomatic. The preferred side will depend on your shop setup and your workflow paths. Your saw's access panel may also play a role in your decision.

Now that that is out of the way, your RT extension belongs on the left ;-)

Robert Chapman
02-04-2011, 8:32 PM
Glen's got the first part of his response right - but the RT extension goes on the right.

Victor Robinson
02-04-2011, 8:35 PM
They key differences between placing it on the right end vs. the right middle vs. the left end of your saw affect two key parameters:

1) The feed direction
2) Where you can stand

Right end: feed direction is opposite saw, fence face used is opposite saw-side of fence, but you can stand at the end and therefore maintain most control
Right-middle: feed direction is same as saw, fence face is same as saw's, but are forced to stand as at the saw, leaning over table as you rout
Left end: feed direction is same as saw, fence face is same as saw's, can stand at end

Therefore, I agree with Glenn - the left end is theoretically the best of all worlds, IF your saw allows it. That being said, mine's on the right end, so that's obviously the best choice. :D

Bruce Wrenn
02-04-2011, 9:59 PM
My vote goes for left side extension. Don't use TS fence for router, but build a separate one. This way you can profile and edge, and then rip it free, and repeat, without having to try to reset fence for each operation. You can drill and tap holes in TS top for fence.

Mark Eisen
02-04-2011, 10:34 PM
Thanks for your Answers,
Being new to this game I have a lot to learn, never thought about the direction of feed etc.
I originally mounted it on the R/H side as it gives me a smaller footprint in my incredible shrinking shed, but the extension is about 2mm wider than the table so can not bolt the rear fence rail on properly. I did not want to get get it mill down if it is not necessary.
So now have it on the left, if you look about nine o'clock in the photo you see the base of my metal lathe stand.

http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/wm460/fuji031.jpg

Alan Lightstone
02-04-2011, 10:46 PM
Just finished building mine. The best answer I can give is Left if your saw allows it, far right if it doesn't. Mine didn't, so far right for mine. But I can really see the advantages of left.

Can of worms officially opened.

glenn bradley
02-04-2011, 11:47 PM
Glen's got the first part of his response right - but the RT extension goes on the right.

I agree with Glenn - the left end is theoretically the best of all worlds

Hehe-heh-heh . . . see what I mean? :D

Dave MacArthur
02-05-2011, 12:00 AM
I always love this topic, and it's always of use to someone. I'm still deciding, and I've already done it twice! Maybe it mostly depends on where you have extension-end access, as I love mine on the right and way out there out of the way of 95% of the tablesaw/fence operations.

Somewhere on here is a thread, about 6 months old maybe, of the exact same topic with a ton of good replies-- I'm all disheartened with the Vbulletin search so I'll leave it to someone else to dig that up! But you can tell Glenn has experience at giving his router extension side opinion diplomatically!

Also somewhere in the King James version I believe it says, "Thou Shalt Not Mount Thy Router to the Sinister Side, but Shalt to the Dexter". I'm gonna go try to find the exact verse if I can, but it's there, trust me.

Bob Turkovich
02-05-2011, 8:23 AM
Wait a minute, Mark! Your picture raises more questions...

What kind of saw/rip fence is that? Where did you get that combo rivving knife/dust shield? Most importantly, what is the purpose of the pink ribbon on the back end of your TS fence? :confused:

For the record, my RT is on the left side - only because I happen to have more access room on that side given my workshop/table saw location situation.

Mark Eisen
02-05-2011, 4:57 PM
What kind of saw/rip fence is that?

The machine comes standard with a high quality, fully adjustable, biesimier fence system that will allow you to fit any of your shop made jigs with ease.

Where did you get that combo rivving knife/dust shield?
This came with the machine.
The original Riving knife = 3mm, but I have since made a thinner one out of stainless steel I have an 80 Tooth Irwin, Kerf = 2.2mm, Blade = 1.85mm,
The Riving knife that I made is 1.5mm

Most importantly, what is the purpose of the pink ribbon on the back end of your TS fence?

To warn me not to walk in to it :( Since getting the saw I have to to side ways when I walk behind the saw.

http://gpwoodturning.sitesuitestores.com/cgi/index.cgi/shopfront/view_product_details?category_id=1107133411&product_id=1107466752

George Bregar
02-05-2011, 5:13 PM
Left in the northern hemisphere, right in the southern. ;)

Mark Eisen
02-05-2011, 5:21 PM
Left in the northern hemisphere, right in the southern. ;)

Great answer.
http://i511.photobucket.com/albums/s356/wm460/cid_25A3F44B5EF0475FB2F5CD8988FA-1.gif

Van Huskey
02-05-2011, 6:24 PM
It is about the motor cover and possibly dust port on a cabinet saw. Left is best but my motor cover is there.

Mark Eisen
02-05-2011, 6:43 PM
It is about the motor cover and possibly dust port on a cabinet saw. Left is best but my motor cover is there.

Could you please explain this further, what difference does this make?
The motor cover and dust port are both on the left of my saw.

Alan Lightstone
02-05-2011, 8:24 PM
They get in the way of the router if they are on the same side. Especially during miter cuts.

Gene Waara
02-06-2011, 8:09 PM
Mine is on the right side of my G690 because: I moved the rails 7" to the right and needed to replace the cheesey extension; I have the most shop room on the right side; my DC was much more accessible to the right; I use my table saw fence with a router fence attached to it.

Ron Bontz
02-06-2011, 8:23 PM
I don't know but the work path in my shop is more like a pin ball machine except I never get any bonus points. My router lift is on the far right with the feed direction opposite. I use my beisemeyer fence for dados and such.

Thomas Canfield
02-06-2011, 9:54 PM
One issue is the support for the router table insert. With the fence support rails on the right, that is the obvious answer unless you add some additional support for the table. I actually have a router table insert on both sides of my saw, but I had to add some additional support on the left since the fence support rails only catch about 1/2 of the top, and I only used 1" melamine (salvage from computer desk top) for the table with no legs. Needles to say I am careful to not put too much weight on the section.

Chip Lindley
02-06-2011, 11:29 PM
I am definitely a Right Winger! A router mounted to the left of the blade is IN MY WAY. With a 50" fence/ext table, the router insert centered 16" from the right end, is out of the way of most tablesawing AND the tablesaw is out of the way of most routering. YMMV!

Brian Tymchak
02-07-2011, 1:03 PM
Thanks for your Answers,
Being new to this game I have a lot to learn, never thought about the direction of feed etc.
I originally mounted it on the R/H side as it gives me a smaller footprint in my incredible shrinking shed, but the extension is about 2mm wider than the table so can not bolt the rear fence rail on properly. I did not want to get get it mill down if it is not necessary.
So now have it on the left, if you look about nine o'clock in the photo you see the base of my metal lathe stand.

Mark, I'm not familiar with your rip fence, but I wonder if you could solve the "fit" problem by shimming behind the existing rails to gain the extra 2 mm you need. Maybe the slide on the fence on the back rail is adjustable to some extent to allow you move one of the rails out?

Brian