PDA

View Full Version : Rejected by brethren and need to gloat.

Mike Schuch
02-04-2011, 5:52 PM
Hi!

I usually hang out at OWWM as the old machines are kind of my passion. But they have rejected me with my latest acquisition.

I just picked up my new to me 5hp 1ph sliding table SunHill shaper with rail and style cutters and a changeable knife lock edge shaper head....

$295 for everything!!!!!!

Unfortunately it is going to replace my beloved 3hp 3ph WalkerTurner geared head shaper that has served me so well! :-( I will be really sad to see it go and even worse is seeing it replaced with Taiwanese "New Iron" but the Sunhill is so sweet.

Thanks for listening to my gloat!

Chris Nolin
02-04-2011, 5:59 PM
I want to revel with you, Mike, but I have zero imagination and need close-up high-res photos.

Matt Meiser
02-04-2011, 5:59 PM
I've been afraid to show my face over there as well since I replace my Parks planer with a Jet jointer/planer combo. :) At least I've kept my PM50 jointer.

Mike Schuch
02-04-2011, 6:13 PM
I want to revel with you, Mike, but I have zero imagination and need close-up high-res photos.

Of course! (I know the rules of a good gloat from the OWWM site) Photos will follow. It is still on the trailer parked in the front and center parking spot at work!

Mike Schuch
02-04-2011, 6:14 PM
"Hello Matt"

"We feel your pain!"

:-)

Chip Lindley
02-04-2011, 6:38 PM
Great Gloat Mike! Even sight-unseen! Sunhill is certainly Taiwanese, so, non-OWWM, but good-quality stuff. I have a really sweet 3hp WoodTek (John Deere) shaper that runs smooth as silk. Some import machines certainly can and do earn their place.

Remember, "over there" that Gloats are really not encouraged. You must disguise even a bonafide, true, made-in-usa, over-20-yr-old Gloat as a question about available parts, or how to unload it or how to plug it in. (they poo-poo'd my awsome '88 PM66 snatched up for $356 in Oct.!) This is the part I really don't understand (because they are all bottom feeders just like ME!) If the buying price is mentioned, that post is soon schlepped over to that potpourri forum that contains everything from weather woes, to the best place to eat in Oshkosh, with sage tax advice in between. Ughh! Congrats again Mike!

Peter Quinn
02-04-2011, 8:12 PM
:cool:
This is the part I really don't understand (because they are all bottom feeders just like ME!) If the buying price is mentioned, that post is soon schlepped over to that potpourri forum that contains everything from weather woes, to the best place to eat in Oshkosh, with sage tax advice in between. Ughh! Congrats again Mike!

Wow, thats a funny thing. If the buying price ISN'T mentioned in a post I'm a bit skeptical something is in fact a gloat. From where I stand if a guy goes out and spends a huge pile of cash for a big dollar machine, I'm not feeling the gloat. If a guy pays ANOTHER guy handsomely for a completely refurbished old iron machine, thats great, but not so much a great gloat. It smells more like conspicuous consumption to me. But when a guy keeps his eyes open, ever vigilant, knows what he's looking at, nose in the air and sniffs out a good deal then tunes and buffs it back to glory, then I'm feeling the thrill. Or if a person buys a second hand machine cheap, fires it up and gives it a new life in his or her shop, I feel joy by proxy.

That said, nice buy! Is sunhill still in business these days since the father died? I seem to recall trying to find their site recently looking for a power feeder and finding nothing? It seems you have to go out of business to become a legend, so f they have perhaps they will become accepted over at OWWM?:cool: Enjoy that shaper!

Mike Schuch
02-04-2011, 8:31 PM
I have stumbled through "The Creek" many many times doing information searches in the past. The Sunhill question is what brought me here this time and I must say I enjoy the company... and fresh ideas.

From past posts on this forum it sounds like Sunhill is out of business or in the process of relocating to CA?

I still haven't evaluated the entirety of my booty yet and the availability extra spindles is my main worry. I have several .75" cutters that I would like to use. From a very quick glance the current spindle is a 1.24". The format of my Sunhill shaper resembles one of the Grizzley shapers so I am crossing my fingers.

Yes the art of gloating on OWWM is "the drive by gloat"! I have been posting over there for so many years that I have a pretty good feel about there etiquette. I snuck in the Sunhill gloat on a bridge saw discussion with out too much razzing. They are a great group of guys over there. Of course I have really been enjoying reading through old posts over here too and look forwards to spending time on both boards.

Steve LaFara
02-04-2011, 10:41 PM
Where do you work?;)

Not sure I would leave mine on a trailer unatended for long.