PDA

View Full Version : Static Phase Converter

Dave Bonde
02-04-2011, 4:38 PM
How well do the static phase converters work. I am looking at an edge sander that is 3 phase, I would need to use a phase converter to run it. I know the rotary converters work well but for this to pencil out money wise I would need to use a static phase converter. The sander has a 5hp motor so I would get a little over 3hp out of it, I think that should be plenty, just looking for comments from those that have used a static converter and if they have worked OK, or if I should keep looking for a single phase sander. Thanks Dave

Bruce Page
02-04-2011, 4:53 PM
I have been running my 2hp milling machine & a 5hp engine lathe off of a single PAM-600HD Phase-A-Matic static phase converter for over 15 years without a single problem. I have even run both the lathe & mill together without issue (just don’t start them up together). The downside of the static converter is a small loss percentage of actual HP output but have never been able to tell any difference between my mill and one running on true 3 ph power.

Stephen Cherry
02-04-2011, 5:01 PM
If you really want to go on the cheap, and the machine has a real start pushbuttion switch, you could probably get by with an extra set of contacts on the start switch that connects a start capacitor between one of the supplied legs on the motor and the non-supplied leg when the button is pushed. You would push the button to start, and when the machine is up to speed you would release the start button, taking the start capacitor out of the circuit and keeping it from exploding. This is basically how my rotary phase converter starts.

Mike Schuch
02-04-2011, 6:23 PM
How much are you going to pay for the static converter? A 5hp VFD can be picked up for ~$300.

The static converters do work... they just aren't very elegant. I would go for the 3ph sander and then you can upgrade the static to a rotary or VFD some time down the road.

Mark A Johnson
02-04-2011, 10:50 PM
I run an old Bridgeport off of a converter without any issue. Your going to loose power, so as long as you run your equipment with that in mind, you shold be ok.

Stephen Pereira
02-05-2011, 4:31 AM
i use a Phase-A-Matic static converter for my 5 hp 3 phase milling machine..works good, price is reasonable, easy to wire. There is a loss of hp but if you don't push your machine to its limits you'll never notice it

Dave Bonde
02-05-2011, 7:29 AM
Thanks everyone I appreciate the information. The static converter is about $70. Sounds like you guys are happy with them so that is the route I will take. Dave

Harry Niemann
02-05-2011, 3:59 PM
Suggest you go to www.k3pgp.org/3phconv.htm It has a lot of info.