PDA

View Full Version : A Whatchmacallit

Donnie Raines
01-15-2005, 12:41 PM
Not sure what else to call it. It simply holds more stuff. Being that I have sold my real tools, this was made with a jig saw, circular saw and a pocket hole jig. The base is simple poplar with a latex paint(per the Mrs.) and the top is qrt sawn Lyptus that I applied lacquer to. I did use a pore filler to smooth out the top. As it always is..the pictures are any thing but "good":

Bart Leetch
01-15-2005, 1:33 PM
Looks great Donnie.

Don't make to many things with to few tools or you won't be allowed to buy more tools.... :D :eek:

Or you could just buy a nice bench & lots of hand tools. :eek: :eek: :eek: :D

Boyd Gathwright
01-15-2005, 1:36 PM
.... Nice looking, Donnie. Very nice ;).

Boyd

Not sure what else to call it. It simply holds more stuff. Being that I have sold my real tools, this was made with a jig saw, circular saw and a pocket hole jig. The base is simple poplar with a latex paint(per the Mrs.) and the top is qrt sawn Lyptus that I applied lacquer to. I did use a pore filler to smooth out the top. As it always is..the pictures are any thing but "good":

Jerry Olexa
01-15-2005, 4:14 PM
Good job, Donnie..I personally believe ,in many cases, it depends more on the WWer than his tools to do a project well. (Of course, better tools make it easier or faster and sometimes better). Great job w limited tools!! Good to see you back in the shop.

David Wilson
01-15-2005, 5:17 PM
Looking good Donnie. I won't let my wife see this or she will never let my buy more tools.

Norman Hitt
01-16-2005, 12:52 AM
... Being that I have sold my real tools, this was made with a jig saw, circular saw and a pocket hole jig. :

Lookin' Good, Donnie. I made quite a number of items several years ago, when we were moving around and in apts., with tools like you used (except I didn't have a pocket hole jig), and they came out really nice. Just took more time.

I guess I must have missed a thread somewhere, as I didn't know you were selling your tools, and was very surprised to hear that, especially since you were on a real tool buying binge for a while there. What Gives??????????

Jim Becker
01-16-2005, 11:35 AM
Donnie, that's a really nice piece. How did you like working with the Liptus? Where did you source it from? (I haven't seen it in this area yet, but also haven't really looked for it)

Frank Pellow
01-16-2005, 12:03 PM
Looking good Donnie. I won't let my wife see this or she will never let my buy more tools.
What David said, is exactly what I say.

Randy Meijer
01-16-2005, 4:20 PM
That's a great project coming from a "minimalist" shop. Nice job!! I wonder why you didn't find a nice brass latch for the doors or maybe an antique black latch to match the hinges?? Sometimes, a minor accessory can make all the difference.

Donnie Raines
01-17-2005, 8:24 AM
Donnie, that's a really nice piece. How did you like working with the Liptus? Where did you source it from? (I haven't seen it in this area yet, but also haven't really looked for it)

It was nice to work with. It feels a lot like hard maple when milling etc..

Oddly enough, it was very easy to sand... :confused: ...comapred to maple. It was "easy" to finish in that it worked so easy to prep. I bought mine through the local Woodcraft for 4.99 a foot. I used a #7 to joint the edges to glue them up.... ;) ...lots of work!

Donnie Raines
01-17-2005, 8:25 AM
I wonder why you didn't find a nice brass latch for the doors or maybe an antique black latch to match the hinges??

The hinges are a mat black and so is the latch....I thought that matched pretty well.

Randy Meijer
01-17-2005, 7:03 PM
Sorry!! Guess the photo makes the latch look different from the hinges??

Michael Perata
01-17-2005, 7:42 PM
qrt sawn Lyptus:
Donnie, nice work.

Lyptus is my wood of choice. How did you like working with it. I have found it is susceptible to checking so I mostly use an oil/wax finish.

Also, what do you pay for it in your area. I am right around $3.10 BF FAS/100 BF min.