PDA

View Full Version : Getting the quick release on G0555X to work with Carters Ratchet rod

Caleb Larru
02-04-2011, 10:59 AM
This is just out of curiosity and to see if it would be worth my time. I recently upgraded my G0555X with a Carter Ratchet Rod but hate that I lost the use of the quick release.

I am thinking about having one of the guys in the machine shop make me the two pieces (Grizzly calls one a "Fixed Lump" P0555X131 and a "Fixed Ring" P0555X150) to fit the Carter Ratchet Rod acme thread that would allow the quick release to work.

I need to buy the tap for the acme thread and that will be about $80. I do not own the machine shop so I am not making any money on this deal. I am only trying to get my cost down where it would be feasible. For this to come out pretty cheap, it looks like I would need about 7 people who want to go on this with me.

I love the ratchet rod but I really miss the quick release for blade changes and releasing the tension when not in use.

Neil Brooks
02-04-2011, 11:11 AM
I've got the G0555X with the Ratchet Rod, too.

If the tension quick release saved me any time over simply backing off the tension with a few turns of the Carter knob ... it would have to be measured in seconds.

Has your experience truly been that different from mine ?

Caleb Larru
02-04-2011, 11:15 AM
No, it isn't that it doesn't take that much time to back off the tension, just I have gotten used to using it and like being able to just flip the release. Just a preference thing.

Neil Brooks
02-04-2011, 11:28 AM
Fair enough.

I'm guessing a few others would agree with you -- particularly if they used their saw for a fair bit of time, before changing over to the Carter.

If they developed the habit, it would be good not to have to break it.

Changing habits seems to get harder and harder, every year ;)

Good luck !