PDA

View Full Version : seeking cool bat designs

Darin Hornsby
02-04-2011, 10:42 AM
So I made my first bat this week. I am really happy with it, but, yawn, it's boring. I want to do another for my brother and sister, and want a cooler design- not just your typical bat. Their use will be for 'bopping bad guys in the nose' (that's what I tell my young daughter). The length will not be over 27 inches, though I don't think that will impact the design.

Got any neat designs you are will to share? I'm not that creative/artistic, so any help is appreciated. thanks!

Fred Perreault
02-04-2011, 11:14 AM
Darin.... do you mean baseball type bats? If they would be baseball bats, the "design", or shape, is rather typical. The knob, handle, barrel and end. I modified (legally) bats for my home town Cape League team for quite some time. It was the reason I got my Craftsman monotube a long time ago. Shrunk the handle, lightened the barrel a we bit, and scooped out the end to take a 33"/32ounce instrument down to 28 ounces or so. With good wood they lasted for quite some time. The only other thing I guess you could do would be to texture parts of it, carve something into it, or embellish it other neat ways to personalize it.

Doug Thompson
02-04-2011, 11:21 PM
This is something to look at... Mark Sfirri is good at turning bats... well one day he'll get them straight.
http://www.michenermuseum.org/bucksartists/artist.php?artist=242&image=641

Bernie Weishapl
02-05-2011, 12:13 AM
Doug beat me to it. He makes some cool bats.

Fred Perreault
02-05-2011, 7:20 AM
The Mark Sfirri site is pretty cool. I have never seen bats like that before...

allen thunem
02-05-2011, 12:00 PM
yea i'd like to see what barry bonds could have done with those bats all juiced up on steroids::))