PDA

View Full Version : Under the wire

bob svoboda
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM

Just received my Steady Rest from Jeff Nicol. Great unit-fit and finish are terrific. Note the movable arm at 10 o'clock for use with a laser system. Jeff also generously added a piece of Black Cherry and a Spalted Hard Maple to the box. Jeff is a great guy and a dream to deal with-sorry to hear he may not be making equipment for a while, but I know he has a lot of irons in the fire. A big THANKS to Jeff!

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Congrats. You are going to love it. Jeff is the man. Sorry to hear about not making equipment.

Steve Schlumpf
02-04-2011, 4:56 PM
Congrats Bob! The steady looks like it will work great!

Steve Vaughan
02-04-2011, 5:35 PM
That looks great. I'm dreaming about one, but I'll get one sometime!

David E Keller
02-04-2011, 6:05 PM
Congrats, Bob! I love my Nicol steady, and I'll bet you do too.

Bill Bukovec
02-04-2011, 7:15 PM
What are the wheels/rollers made from?

Are they custom or off-the-shelf?

Bill

Jon McElwain
02-04-2011, 7:44 PM
I'm green, er, yellow with envy! That's a good looking steady rest for the PM!

James Combs
02-04-2011, 9:59 PM
That looks great. I'm dreaming about one, but I'll get one sometime!

Bill

Steve/Bill there is a tutorial on building a metal one similar to the above one in the articles forum, you can find it here http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?151550-Steady-Rest-Fabrication. Got to post #21 for a PDF file of the tutorial. Bill I believe the wheels are inline skate wheels. That's what the ones in the tutorial are.

Also Creeker Roger Chandler build a wooden version that works well, I believe he has a pretty good review of it in one of his threads.

bob svoboda
02-05-2011, 10:09 AM

Bill
JC hit it on the head-roller blade wheels.

dan carter
02-05-2011, 10:45 AM
Glad Jeff included some wood for you to try the rest. A steady rest certainly is a requirement of all Mustard owners. Looking forward to your new HF. I know you will enjoy using the new steady rest.

Scott Hubl
02-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Congrats on getting in under the wire. :cool:

Looks Very Nice.

I wanted to get one myself but could only get in under the wire for 3 of his tool rests and having a custom offset " Dog Leg" made for me. (Offsets the toolrest to get into those hard to reach areas) And was told I would most likely be his Last order taken for awhile. :(

I tried to Squeeze in the Steady Rest but understood he has some other things to get done First.

So I told him IF he does get a chance to make another one for a GOLD PM 3520B to contact me and i'd take it. No rush on it, I am in No hurry, I just want one. :D
(In case it matters, I have the Jamieson Captured System with the Laser measuring attachment.)