PDA

View Full Version : Is it a knife? Or chisel? It's a Bahco Wrecking knife!

Sam Takeuchi
02-04-2011, 10:16 AM
Normally I don't care for Bahco products, the only time I bought something Bahco was when in-law wanted a hammer and axe for doing renovation.

Anyway I found an funny little product which may give a chuckle or two. They call it a wrecking knife. A chisel and knife mutated into one. I just stumbled across their promo video and was amused by the brutal demo, yet, I can almost find a use for it, but I can't think of anything specific. Either way, it's an amusing little video on an interesting item. Maybe some one may like it!

Here it is (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJTfWmCsasg)!

Jay Maiers
02-04-2011, 10:27 AM
It looks a lot like the Breacher Bar by (http://countycomm.com/eodrtool.htm) County Comm. They (County Comm) have been producing these things for quite a while. It's a useful tool for some, and a decent just-in-case tool for the rest of us.

I guess it would be a good tool if you're building natural furniture (the rustic type built out of sticks and logs in their natural state...).
What's the proper name for that type of furniture?

Chris Vandiver
02-04-2011, 10:29 AM
That tool sure looks like an accident ready to happen!

David Weaver
02-04-2011, 10:42 AM
Whether you use the chisel end or grab the end and use it like a drawknife or a push knife, you're going to end up with cut fingers.

I'd call that a woodworking show tool, where someone shows you a demo of using the tool 19 different ways, and then you get it and realize that:
1) you have no use for it
2) it doesn't do any of those 19 functions as well as tools you already have.

And then you end up using it as a box cutter or hacking knife.

who is going to be the first person on here to make something entirely with a hardware store keyhole saw and one of these bahco tools?

Ron Conlon
02-04-2011, 10:44 AM
That tool sure looks like an accident ready to happen!

Yeah, at one point the guy grabs the side of the blade that is sharpened. Uh, wouldn't that cut him?

Jim gormley
02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Thats got "Happy Homeowner Tool" written all over it

Mac Houtz
02-04-2011, 12:00 PM
maybe they can find a woodworking use for lawn darts while they are at it..

Pam Niedermayer
02-04-2011, 9:34 PM
... I guess it would be a good tool if you're building natural furniture (the rustic type built out of sticks and logs in their natural state...). What's the proper name for that type of furniture?

Rustic.

Pam

Mark Wyatt
02-04-2011, 9:55 PM
I'm aghast. It's like a rifle with two barrels. One points straight ahead and one at 90 degrees. Shoot twice as much!

Jon Toebbe
02-04-2011, 9:57 PM
Reminds me of those "chisels" with rasp teeth cut on the back and file teeth along one edge that they sell at the BORG. I chuckle every time I walk past them.

george wilson
02-04-2011, 11:07 PM
I don't think you really sharpen the knife blade anyway. You strike the back edge of the blade with a hammer to bust open crates,stuck windows,etc..

Those rasp chisels really are horrible,aren't they? I think I'll start a line of high class rasp chisels with hand cut teeth and exotic wood handles for $500.00 each. No one else has that niche yet!!!:)

Jeffrey L Johnson
02-05-2011, 9:32 AM
Actually... those cheap 4-way rasp/files are kinda handy when you need to do a fast shavedown - especially in a portable toolbox on-site. "Grab, rasp, flip, file, done".

I'd not use one for doing fine work, and they don't work into corners, but they still work well enough.

Bob Strawn
02-05-2011, 2:05 PM
:eek: If only it came with a rasp built into the Wrecking Chisel! Then it would be perfect!:eek:

OK, it is called a Wrecking Knife, I'm thinking the target audience is not the fine wood worker.

As far as the dangerous edges goes, I don't see where it is any worse than a lot of skinning knifes I have seen. When you compare it to the typical big survival knife with something along the lines of a skulls, demon and snake motif, it it is positively safe.

Bob

Maurice Metzger
02-05-2011, 2:49 PM
Oh no! You had to bring up County Comm! I felt a burning sensation in my wallet as soon as I saw the link...

Lex Boegen
02-05-2011, 3:26 PM
I kept expecting them to cut a nail in half, then show that it can still slice a tomato--it's the Ginsu Chisel!

Jon Toebbe
02-06-2011, 10:12 AM
Those rasp chisels really are horrible,aren't they? I think I'll start a line of high class rasp chisels with hand cut teeth and exotic wood handles for $500.00 each. No one else has that niche yet!!!:)
Excellent! But for $500 each, I'd expect it to have a few more "functions." Hmm... rasp teeth on the back, chisel at the end... that leaves us with two edges, the face, and the end of the handle...

How about a nice sharp scratch awl at the pommel end of the handle? A high dollar chisel like that, you shouldn't be hitting it with a mallet anyway. Of course, that might make paring a bit hazardous. But that's a small price to pay for innovation! :D

Sam Fan
02-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Excellent! But for $500 each, I'd expect it to have a few more "functions." Hmm... rasp teeth on the back, chisel at the end... that leaves us with two edges, the face, and the end of the handle...

How about a nice sharp scratch awl at the pommel end of the handle? A high dollar chisel like that, you shouldn't be hitting it with a mallet anyway. Of course, that might make paring a bit hazardous. But that's a small price to pay for innovation! :D

You forgot to add a laser level to help with paring activites. ;)