PDA

View Full Version : Native American basket

Jim Adkins
02-04-2011, 8:20 AM
Morning Creekers......I decided to post another piece of my Basketry. This one is 9.25" D. x 4.25" H., turned sidegrain of maple. Usual woodburning, dyeing, finish. It is a copy of an original made by Lucy Telles around 1905. She was Piaute from the Yosimite area of CA. As usual critiques/comments appreciated.
Apologies for the poor picture qualities, did'nt have my act together!!

John Keeton
02-04-2011, 8:28 AM
Jim, great design layout on this one!! I am just now starting to comprehend the massive amount of preplanning that takes place on these pieces to get the artwork right. Not only are there hours and hours involved in the beading and pyro work, but that is just the very beginning!

This piece is really very nice - and, the background is perfect for the coloration! Thanks for being a part of us, and for posting your work. I am looking forward to seeing the completed tutorial article when it all comes together.

Tim Rinehart
02-04-2011, 8:29 AM
Beautiful work Jim...such patience that goes into that...suspect many of us would find that a real challenge. I am even more impressed by what appears to be a pretty complete job of mimicking the outside to the inside...wow! Very good tribute piece.

Steve Vaughan
02-04-2011, 8:31 AM
Exactly what John says!

Roger Chandler
02-04-2011, 8:37 AM
Nothing short of AWESOME, Jim! The form of the piece is outstanding in its own right, and then the beading, pyro and colorations are just an art in themselves. This is as good as I have ever seen!

Russell Eaton
02-04-2011, 8:53 AM
Jim I have a question. How many hours do you have in this beautiful piece? Whatever it is, it was time well spent. Thank you for showing.

Curt Fuller
02-04-2011, 9:02 AM
Jim, your work is so incredible! Have you even done the interior surface to match? Just absolutely beautiful!

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2011, 9:12 AM
Wow that is a beautiful piece. Really nicely done.

Greg Just
02-04-2011, 9:14 AM
Beautiful - how do you do the inside? Is it 2 pieces glued together? Thanks for sharing

Quinn McCarthy
02-04-2011, 9:18 AM
Incredible Jim.

That would be a good bowl to try segmented.

Quinn

Jim Adkins
02-04-2011, 11:03 AM
John-tnx for the accolades-the Tutorial has been started, will require time to complete. Have been cleaning my shop, 15 yrs of accumulated "junk/dust", ect., good news is I found my lathe!!

charlie knighton
02-04-2011, 11:12 AM
very nice......

Jim Adkins
02-04-2011, 11:24 AM
Roger, Tim & Bernie, Thanks also to you guys for the nice comments. Always appreciated.
Russel..I usually work on 3-5 forms at any given time so no way to really know the time
spent on each....not sure I really want to know!! For me it has to be passion!!
Curt....Yes, inside mirrors outside (with possible adjustments)
Greg....Yes, 2 pieces (top& bottom) w/ male/female tenon glued. Usually @ max. diameter.
Quinn...Think you're correct..would be a good project for these long, cold winter nites/days

Ron Stadler
02-04-2011, 11:41 AM
Ok, First let me tell you how awesome this piece is, Wow, just gorgeous. I can't imagine the time you have in one of these pieces and the careful planning to execute and achieve such a nice piece.
But that said, I have one question. I noticed that inside the bowl it looks as if it mirrors the outside of the bowl, now is that just from the dye bleeding through and if so, how do you keep it so crisp and not making a blob on the inside. Never worked with dye before , so not quite sure on how penetrating these dyes are, or are you actually dyeing the inside with some method, love to know how you did this or if there is some information or site you can point us to.

John Keeton
02-04-2011, 11:56 AM
Ron, I don't want to step in for Jim, but he has agreed to build a detailed tutorial for us. He is presently working on the uploads for that. As he says, he has no secrets, but this process is rather complex - having seen a lot of Jim's information and seen him in a demo. I am betting the tutorial will be very informative!

Tim Thiebaut
02-04-2011, 12:04 PM
You sir have an incredible amount of patience, what is just amazing! I have seen a few things on this site that I would consider museum quality....this is one of those pieces.

Doug W Swanson
02-04-2011, 12:08 PM
That is a very well done piece. I can't imagine having the patience to plan and execute the work the goes into something like that....

Incredible!

Mark Hubl
02-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Jim, thanks for posting this piece. Really wonderful work and a beautiful tribute piece. I think many of us find inspiration in southwest pottery and baskets. Your art rises to a pinnacle that will give inspiration to many.

Scott Hackler
02-04-2011, 1:27 PM
Jim, this piece is beyond awesome. The detail eludes to the amount of time you have spend on this. On its own it would be a award winning vessel, that you mirrored the effect in the interior... well that seals the deal. Very very cool and so realistic that it would fool anyone that it wasn't a woven basket.

Richard Madden
02-04-2011, 3:25 PM
Another beautiful piece, Jim. You already answered my first thought and question as to how you do the inside. Still lots of questions. Thanks for sharing, and take as much time as necessary on the tutorial. Do you have a website that shows more of your work?

Nate Davey
02-04-2011, 4:19 PM
What an beautifully done piece. Unbelievable the amount of detail inside and out. Can't wait for the tutorial.

Steve Schlumpf
02-04-2011, 4:22 PM
Jim - I have been a big fan of all things Southwest ever since living in Colorado many years ago. Always loved the pottery and use my own variation of form based on different tribes of the region. Your work, while absolutely breathtaking, brings up another side of being creative - research. I have a book that showcases many different Southwest pottery forms that I use for inspiration. Your baskets - to my knowledge - are historically accurate and I was curious if you go on location, read books, visit museums or what to get ideas for your creations?

I look forward to your article!

Pierce Davidson
02-04-2011, 6:02 PM
What it would take to turn that is so far beyond my comprehension that I can't even imagine where one would start. Stunning!

David E Keller
02-04-2011, 6:13 PM
This is a really wonderful piece. While there are so many things to like about it, perhaps my favorite feature is the warmth it exudes... The piece looks like it's been around for years and has developed a nice patina. Thanks for sharing.

gary Zimmel
02-04-2011, 6:37 PM
That is really one sweet piece. Thanks for sharing with us.

Jim Adkins
02-04-2011, 9:55 PM
Steve.....et al...Thanks for the good words regarding my work. To answer Steves question(s) I only do reproduction work. My ideas come from many sources. Books, several now out-of-print but available on the secondary market, Galleries, Museums, ect. A very good collection located in Chandler, AZ is a treat to visit. The Eddie Basha collection is viewable up-close & pictures are allowed. The Yosemite Museum has a lot of Piaute stuff on display. The magazine "American Indian Art" is a great publication that has great stories plus advertising/pictures. On & on it goes. If anyone wants pm me & I can give you a list of books, ect. Am working on the Tutorial but need to get started on the actual turning with photos. I did get the blank bandsawn today plus the wormwood screwhole drilled. Maybe tomorrow????
Thanks to all, I very much appreciate everybody's comments/questions
Jim

David DeCristoforo
02-04-2011, 10:48 PM
Rats. Late to the party again! All the good adjectives have already been used. No wait... I don't see "exquisite" anywhere. Or "phenomenal" either. Guess I'll just have to go with those.

Bob Bergstrom
02-04-2011, 11:19 PM
That is beyond words!! I'd been in a padded cell after about 3 days. Maybe someone could count the burn marks.

Baxter Smith
02-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Ditto to all of the above!

Michelle Rich
02-05-2011, 8:22 AM
DIVINE, ABSOLUTELY DIVINE lovely, lovely piece

Ron Stadler
02-05-2011, 9:19 AM
Ron, I don't want to step in for Jim, but he has agreed to build a detailed tutorial for us. He is presently working on the uploads for that. As he says, he has no secrets, but this process is rather complex - having seen a lot of Jim's information and seen him in a demo. I am betting the tutorial will be very informative!
Sounds worth the wait John, wow if I could do something as good as you two I might not get any complaints about the wood chips tracked through the house, I still don't know why she complains, at least she knows where I'm at.:D

Jim Burr
02-05-2011, 3:57 PM
Speachless work Jim...the tutorial is worth the wait. Aquiring tools has begun. I'm will to bet you have more treasures in the chest?