PDA

View Full Version : Cost of Carving Wood and Cooperative Wood Buying

ken gibbs
02-04-2011, 8:00 AM
I am frustrated that simple white pine for carving is so expensive. I am willing to buy fully cured wood to use for carving, but not willing to pay $25.00 at WoodCraft for a basic 3" X 10" block of pine. I am willing to buy decent pine or other carving wood and air dry it. In my opinion, wood carvers are being ripped off on a regular basis to buying carving stock. I would love to have input from users who would like to establish a cooperative to buy wood in quantities.

Paul Johnstone
02-04-2011, 1:36 PM
I am frustrated that simple white pine for carving is so expensive. I am willing to buy fully cured wood to use for carving, but not willing to pay $25.00 at WoodCraft for a basic 3" X 10" block of pine. I am willing to buy decent pine or other carving wood and air dry it. In my opinion, wood carvers are being ripped off on a regular basis to buying carving stock. I would love to have input from users who would like to establish a cooperative to buy wood in quantities.

Try to hook up with a local sawmiller/Woodmizer guy in your area.
They can custom cut for you.
I know my local guy cuts lots of Basswood carving blocks for a guy that makes Duck Lures.. I sometimes buy his offcuts (thinner pieces left over).

The Craigslist material section is a great place to find people like this.. even if they are only selling oak, maple, cherry.. ask them if they will cut some pine for you if that's what you want. Often they can accomodate you.. especially if you are buying in quanity. No need to deal with trying to get a group buy together.

David Helm
02-04-2011, 2:12 PM
I carve with green (freshly cut) Alder. Easy to find in this neck of the woods. In fact, there are quite a few right here on my property. Admittedly I don't do European style carving. I do NW Coast native style with very different tools than the Euro style.