PDA

View Full Version : What is "WOW"

joel nucifore
02-04-2011, 5:54 AM
I keep hearing about this "WOW" site but can not locate it????????
Found a couple of sites after goggle but no pics of pcs from here after reading about them here......
Any help finding it would be great THANK YOU......

Barbara Gill
02-04-2011, 6:29 AM
It is a private woodturning site that requires an invitation to join.

Dan Hintz
02-04-2011, 9:08 AM
Barbara,

More info, please :)

Greg Just
02-04-2011, 9:28 AM
I believe this is the website:

http://www.thewows.com

Matt Owen
02-04-2011, 10:05 AM
World of Woodturners. It does require an invitation to join, but anyone can get that invitation. IIRC, I just sent them an email asking to join, and they sent me a link to make it happen. The invitation thing is just to help weed out spammers. I know that some people have been upset by the requirement of an invitation, like it's some kind of club that only certain people will be allowed to join, but that's simply not the case. You just have to be a real person with an interest in woodturning.

There is a lot of good content (mostly pictures of turnings) on that site. Whenever I need a little inspiration, I can usually get it there after seeing the first page of pics. HTH.

Dan Hintz
02-04-2011, 11:33 AM
Funny timing, Matt... before you posted I sent an email to the administrator asking for such an invite. Guess we'll see...

bob svoboda
02-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Greg's correct on the site and Matt's correct on the procedure. Great site.

Linda Persoon
02-04-2011, 11:57 AM
Matt, Thanks for the info!!
Joel, Thanks for the question!!

Jon Prouty
02-04-2011, 4:34 PM
so I'm not the only one... I too sent an email to the admin. Thanks for the topic!
Jon

Steve Vaughan
02-04-2011, 4:43 PM
I'm in now! I'm in now! :D:D Very cool site, as is the creek!

Steve Schlumpf
02-04-2011, 4:44 PM
You can email admin or ask any member for an invitation. Either way -

Scott Hubl
02-04-2011, 4:57 PM
I got "Invited" a few years ago, I found it hard to navigate the site. I did not like the layout at all so I just never went back.

Seemed like a bunch of sites all mashed together or something, been a couple years since I looked it over after invite and setting up an account.

Not setup like Woodnet or SMC at all. Maybe I Missed something but just totally found it confusing to navigate.

David E Keller
02-04-2011, 6:10 PM
I got "Invited" a few years ago, I found it hard to navigate the site. I did not like the layout at all so I just never went back.

Seemed like a bunch of sites all mashed together or something, been a couple years since I looked it over after invite and setting up an account.

Not setup like Woodnet or SMC at all. Maybe I Missed something but just totally found it confusing to navigate.

I agree with your initial assessment. The format seems to have been intended for something else, but after a little practice on the site, it's not too bad to navigate. There are some phenomenally talented turners there. I've spent hours just looking through different artist folders and studying pieces they've posted. IMHO, it's worth the effort to figure it out.

Roger Chandler
02-04-2011, 8:46 PM
I got an invite from our most benevolent dictator :D I mean moderator, Steve Schlumpf about 6 months or so ago, and I really appreciated his working this out for me. Now I have posted one work there, my OO HF that I posted here a few days ago.

Thank you Steve! ;)

Joe Scarfo
02-05-2011, 8:00 PM
Thanks for the lead.... I too have emailed the admin.

Joe

David DeCristoforo
02-05-2011, 8:12 PM
Absolutely join WoW. It's true that it is a PITA as far as navigation and post threading is concerned. But the work that gets posted there is mostly amazing and inspirational. One word of warning... leave your ego at the door! Otherwise you will end up being completely overwhelmed by the high quality of the work you will see as well as the creativity and imagination exhibited on a daily basis.

Curt Fuller
02-06-2011, 12:59 AM
I just noticed that Papa Herm, who runs the WOW site, posted that he has had requests for 102 new members in the last 2 days. Probably partially the result of this thread. WOW is a wonderful place to see some beautiful work. And they get into some very interesting discussions over there at times. But the turners here at the Creek aren't anything to sneeze at and are often featured on the cover photos on WOW. As much as I enjoy WOW, this place is still a lot more like home to me.

joel nucifore
02-06-2011, 6:56 AM
I agree with Kurt, just got invite yesterday as everyone has said WHAT A SITE the talent is out of this world.
But feel this site is more like home and talent and help you get is better, but for insperation like a see many others talent..
thank you again for the invite CODY......

Dick Wilson
02-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Joel,

WOW is a great site. Very accomplished turners regularly post pictures of their work. A lot of people comment on the work. You can learn a lot about form, etc. They have an excellent chat room once a week that is a lot of fun. You can also post questions.

PS - I just registered on this site today and haven't had a lot of time to look it over, but so far I like what I see. I will be a regular visitor.

James Combs
02-06-2011, 4:35 PM
Thanks for the lead.... I too have emailed the admin.

Joe

Just sent a request my self.

Dick Wilson
02-06-2011, 7:42 PM
Scott, I joined WOW in December. I don't know what it was like when you first navigated the site, but it seems very easy for me. You might want to take another stab at it. The only thing I have a nit to pick is that it is not very fast moving from picture to picture. Considering you are loading a picture and not text I have no complaint.

Scott Hackler
02-06-2011, 8:49 PM
WOW is a great site, but I consider is more of a massive gallery. There isnt the usual interaction that we have here and this place is home for me. I love the diversity of talent over there and its worth being a member just to see the pieces and to get feedback from the pros. Its a shame that more of the "famous" turners dont participate here in the discussions.

The gallerys on the AAW site are very similar to WOW, but the commenting and the forum aren't as friendly or used as much.

SMC is home to the active learner.....I mean turner! :)